Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    im bilingual, i used to think in my mother tongue but then my english vocab got bigger and i just prefer to think in eng more.
    dont know how to answer the second but i would say that i sometimes try to find words in my first language to help me explain things that probably doesnt exist in english
    So you can choose which language you want to think in?

Like even though you think in english now, you could make yourself think in your mother tongue if you wanted?

Sorry what is your mother tongue if I may ask.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ghajok45)
    So you can choose which language you want to think in?

Like even though you think in english now, you could make yourself think in your mother tongue if you wanted?

Sorry what is your mother tongue if I may ask.
    yes but it takes a bit of an effort to change to a language im not used to think in.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it's vietnamese

ReputationRep:
    yes but it takes a bit of an effort to change to a language im not used to think in.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it's vietnamese
    But surely you can just switch to start thinking in Vietnamese.

ReputationRep:
    What languages do you speak?
    Do you have the ability to think in your other language even though you predominantly think in one language?
    English and German. I can think in the other language, but my knowledge of that isn't as thorough so sometimes I end up thinking in both if I try to think in German.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But surely you can just switch to start thinking in Vietnamese.
    yeah i just tried and its not that hard

ReputationRep:
    yeah i just tried and its not that hard
    Do you know when the switch over happened from thinking in Vietnamese to thinking in English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_JoKeR)
    English and German. I can think in the other language, but my knowledge of that isn't as thorough so sometimes I end up thinking in both if I try to think in German.
    When did you learn English and German?

So like a German/English hybrid?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Do you know when the switch over happened from thinking in Vietnamese to thinking in English?
    yes i do and i know because i consciously make the decision to change, i've past that stage where i think in vietnamese naturally .

ReputationRep:
    When did you learn English and German?

So like a German/English hybrid?
    German from parents, not really a mother tongue but they decided to teach it to me a few years back. 4ish years ago? And English from when I was born.

Guess so depending on the context.

ReputationRep:
    yes i do and i know because i consciously make the decision to change, i've past that stage where i think in vietnamese naturally .
    So more of natural english thinking and forced vietnamese thinking.

ReputationRep:
    German from parents, not really a mother tongue but they decided to teach it to me a few years back. 4ish years ago? And English from when I was born.

Guess so depending on the context.
    When did you start learning german, the age?

ReputationRep:
    When did you start learning german, the age?
    10ish

ReputationRep:
    10ish
    That's interesting, the later you leave it the more impossible it gets. At age 10 learning a new language is hard, I say if you had started a couple of years earlier, say age 6/7, you would be pretty fluent in german now.

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting, the later you leave it the more impossible it gets. At age 10 learning a new language is hard, I say if you had started a couple of years earlier, say age 6/7, you would be pretty fluent in german now.
    Yeh, the earlier the better.

ReputationRep:
    yes for both questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    yes for both questions
    Are you bilingual?

And can you elaborate on the second question.

ReputationRep:
    Are you bilingual?

And can you elaborate on the second question.
    yh i speak arabic and english
    sometimes my thoughts are in arabic and sometimes (and i guess mostly) in english

and I used to go to an arab school quite long ago and i remember that when we learnt science and parts of the digestive system everythinggg is different
    like the stomach is معدة
    and the esophagus is مريئ
    i used to find it quite easy to learn as the words weren't long
    but for example esophagus is kinda...ya know xD

ReputationRep:
    yh i speak arabic and english
    sometimes my thoughts are in arabic and sometimes (and i guess mostly) in english

and I used to go to an arab school quite long ago and i remember that when we learnt science and parts of the digestive system everythinggg is different
    like the stomach is معدة
    and the esophagus is مريئ
    i used to find it quite easy to learn as the words weren't long
    but for example esophagus is kinda...ya know xD
    I would have thought you would think in your better language (english i'm guessing for you), with the option to think in the weaker language.

A lot of bilinguals don't even think in their weaker language, unless they are speaking the weaker language or if they decide..."hey let's think in arabic for a bit"

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought you would think in your better language (english i'm guessing for you), with the option to think in the weaker language.

A lot of bilinguals don't even think in their weaker language, unless they are speaking the weaker language or if they decide..."hey let's think in arabic for a bit"
    Im not really weak in arabic (i only speak arabic at home)
    but idk i just use english because my idead are too english for me to think in arabic for them haha
    but sometimes i think in arabic (especially if im swearing at someone lol)

ReputationRep:
    Im not really weak in arabic (i only speak arabic at home)
    but idk i just use english because my idead are too english for me to think in arabic for them haha
    but sometimes i think in arabic (especially if im swearing at someone lol)
    Do you think in arabic when you are speaking arabic?

So essentially you think in 2 languages, or at least can think in 2 languages even if you don't take the option (like some bilinguals).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.