Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astronomer99)
    what did everyone get for the Copernicus contribution to other early solar system theories one?
    I put that it also showed that other celestial objects revolved around other planets wasn't too sure about that though, although I based myself on the next question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astronomer99)
    what did everyone get for the Copernicus contribution to other early solar system theories one?
    I put something about it being simpler by removing epicentres to explain retrograde motion, but idk if that's right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    I guess it's just relative. My school offered nothing apart from the most standard stuff. History, geography and Btec ICT... not even GCSE ICT lol
    Oh really - lol. That's one really good thing about my school they offer quite a lot of unconventional GCSEs like astronomy, graphics, photography, law, economics, business, dance, sociology and psychology.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't find the exam that hard. In fact I think I did pretty well tbh

ReputationRep:
    What did you put for the time question? I put AST was 9:00 and then I wasn't sure about the rest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    GCSE Astronomy, really?

You guys must go to some amazing posh school. Nice.
    Nope, definitely not a posh school! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomasRules)
    What did everyone get for 18b? The one about the size of the planet based on the graph?
    I think we all just cried a little inside when doing that question...Who knows. In general, the questions were pretty badly worded.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i did the exam today and thought it was quite challenging in my coursework i got 34/40 but lots of other people got 39.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gredore)
    I think we all just cried a little inside when doing that question...Who knows. In general, the questions were pretty badly worded.
    i got its diameter which 900000km

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oliver447474)
    i got its diameter which 900000km
    How did you calculate it?

ReputationRep:
    The diameter of the star is 9000000, not the diameter of the planet. The planet travels for 6 hours at 150,000km/h. Therefore it covers the star which is 9,000,000km in diameter. Since it takes away 50% of the light, then the planet must cover up 50% of the star. And 50% of the star is 9,000,000/2 which is 4,500,000.

ReputationRep:
    It took 6 hours for the planet to pass along the star. And it was travelling at 150000kmh. So 6×150000 is equal to 900000 km in diameter

ReputationRep:
    It took 6 hours for the planet to pass along the star. And it was travelling at 150000kmh. So 6×150000 is equal to 900000 km in diameter
    That was my initial thought, but what about the slopes on the graph? Surely you have to take into account the time from when it started to cross the star to the time it finished crossing. Which I think was 7.5 hours. I don't know though, it gave horrible numbers...

What did people get for the magnitude one?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that 900000km for that part of it's orbit (since its not touching the star)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonyeka)
    Oh really - lol. That's one really good thing about my school they offer quite a lot of unconventional GCSEs like astronomy, graphics, photography, law, economics, business, dance, sociology and psychology.
    oh wow! Nice man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andreahdlfuente)
    The diameter of the star is 9000000, not the diameter of the planet. The planet travels for 6 hours at 150,000km/h. Therefore it covers the star which is 9,000,000km in diameter. Since it takes away 50% of the light, then the planet must cover up 50% of the star. And 50% of the star is 9,000,000/2 which is 4,500,000.
    Not quite seeing how that works though, because the light coming from the star is based on ( Pi * R^2). So finding half the diameter doesn't half the light, it does more than that.

ReputationRep:
    That was my initial thought, but what about the slopes on the graph? Surely you have to take into account the time from when it started to cross the star to the time it finished crossing. Which I think was 7.5 hours. I don't know though, it gave horrible numbers...

What did people get for the magnitude one?
    Which magnitude one? For the Andromeda one I got 3.5 for the first and -1.5 for the second part

ReputationRep:
    Which magnitude one? For the Andromeda one I got 3.5 for the first and -1.5 for the second part
    I got the same for that one

ReputationRep:
    I put 4500000km because the diameter of the star is 9000000, so since it covers up 50% of the star because only 50% of the light was given out, the diameter of the planet is 9000000/2 which is 4500000
    The primary star was bigger compared to the star we were told to calculate. so i dont think we had to divide it by 2

ReputationRep:
    Not quite seeing how that works though, because the light coming from the star is based on ( Pi * R^2). So finding half the diameter doesn't half the light, it does more than that.
    But we're talking about the % of light given out, not the amount of light.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.