Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Those who claim to attend the university of life are resentful morons Watch

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Damien96)
    I think I fully explained what I find nauseating about it, both in my response and the original post.

I never at any point even hinted that I thought studying means you know everything, I even said the opposite during the conversation.

I find those 3 things obnoxious too, that was my point.
    Except you seem to be doing a good job of showing it. The people who I have met that have used the phrase use it in a jokey or fatalistic way. They arent referring to a bricks and mortar university. they dont fall into your poisonous inaccurate generalisation at all.

They are precisely the type of people who are jealous of the achievements of others. It's ugly, resentful and small minded, all wrapped up in a comment that is designed to make anyone with ambition appear pampered and out of touch with the real world.
    Do get over yourself three yeasr studying doesnt make you some sort of super person, it's just a degree.Not everyone is jealous of you, they dont actually care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Except you seem to be doing a good job of showing it. The people who I have met that have used the phrase use it in a jokey or fatalistic way. They arent referring to a bricks and mortar university. they dont fall into your poisonous inaccurate generalisation at all.

Do get over yourself three yeasr studying doesnt make you some sort of super person, it's just a degree.Not everyone is jealous of you, they dont actually care.
    At no point have I taken the phrase personally, I just find it riddled with resentment and I have never heard it used to describe a "Bricks and mortar" university. I have only heard it in the context of "I didn't go to university and I resent those that did or do".

What you believe I am showing seems to be more a comment on you as you have seemed to take this very personally, which is frankly bizarre. I already described that it wasn't coming from a place of superiority but, as is typical for the Internet, you have mindfully ignored that to indulge in a misplaced rant painting me as some kind of snob.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.