Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Our school do 9 National 5s. Personally, I do think this is too much, I got 8 As and a B in RMPS (we have to take it, but that's a rant for another day...) but I think it puts a lot of pressure on you to take way too many subjects when you can't really focus on them all.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    At my state school (c.850 pupils), we sat the usual 8 standard grades but now N5s have been phased in kids in S4 only sit 6 subjects. Most who move onto S5 don't sit 5 full Highers (only the high achievers do basically) but rather most do a mix of higher and N5 subjects.

In S6, the provision of teachers for AH is generally poor. Most AH students (including myself, last year) were expected to teach themselves the entire course with only occasional teacher input. I found that teachers cared more about making sure their higher students and N5 students passed so as to not make the school look bad - only to neglect those in need of assistance. I'm not sure I like the way qualifications are structured in Scotland tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simmeh-chan)
    Our school do 9 National 5s. Personally, I do think this is too much, I got 8 As and a B in RMPS (we have to take it, but that's a rant for another day...) but I think it puts a lot of pressure on you to take way too many subjects when you can't really focus on them all.
    9 is far too many to be forced to do in one sitting. I would say 8 is the absolute limit. It's fine if you choose to do 9 but otherwise its daft (well I'd still call you daft for choosing to do 9 N5s in S4 but that's besides the point).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTS_99)
    9 is far too many to be forced to do in one sitting. I would say 8 is the absolute limit. It's fine if you choose to do 9 but otherwise its daft (well I'd still call you daft for choosing to do 9 N5s in S4 but that's besides the point).
    I totally agree, it's way too much. I think you can choose to do 8, and if you do PE you also do 8 because of travelling, but still this is way too many for people to do at once.

ReputationRep:
    9 Nat 5s :O ... Your whole year would revolve around school, all your homework/ Coursework deadlines and all them exams. How could you possibly function?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethan100)
    9 Nat 5s :O ... Your whole year would revolve around school, all your homework/ Coursework deadlines and all them exams. How could you possibly function?
    You don't hahaha, I honestly found the workload more than 5 Highers at times, especially with 7 (I think) courseworks etc to do which were all at the same time because they were poorly spaced out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simmeh-chan)
    You don't hahaha, I honestly found the workload more than 5 Highers at times, especially with 7 (I think) courseworks etc to do which were all at the same time because they were poorly spaced out.
    In terms of coursework (final assignments) and exams, 8 or 9 is seriously overwhelming. I don't think it helped for me that I did both graph comm and design & manufacture, which both require a lot of theory and hand drawn illustrations, I will never forget having to basically spend most of my Easter holiday last year doing them.
    For actual course content though it wasn't that bad, and I think the 5 highers are worse in that respect (single handedly because of H Maths). The only downside in my view really was that because they were done over 2 years (S3/4) unless you were revising from very early on you would begin to struggle remembering the first unit for example.

It's all a pile of pish in which backs my opinion that the standard of the SQA exams have been on the decline for decades. There's nothing we can do as students, the only people that can influence change are politicians. But they are all a bunch of lieing b*stards. Hey Ho, at least I'll be out the system soon enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTS_99)
    In terms of coursework (final assignments) and exams, 8 or 9 is seriously overwhelming. I don't think it helped for me that I did both graph comm and design & manufacture, which both require a lot of theory and hand drawn illustrations, I will never forget having to basically spend most of my Easter holiday last year doing them.
    For actual course content though it wasn't that bad, and I think the 5 highers are worse in that respect (single handedly because of H Maths). The only downside in my view really was that because they were done over 2 years (S3/4) unless you were revising from very early on you would begin to struggle remembering the first unit for example.
    Yeah, for me I personally found the content of each course easy enough, it was just the amount of homework and coursework to get through. (I didn't do much studying for my National 5s, especially towards the end I struggled with motivation)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.