Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

University bans mortar board throwing Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can only shake my head

It's a huge shame that legitimate trigger warnings for people actually suffering with PTSD and anxiety will never be taken seriously again.
    All this does is trivialise serious issues and the plight of actual trauma victims.

They think what they're doing is helping when it actually has just dug a hole for us with trauma. This is what happens when the wrong people have the loudest voices

ReputationRep:
    The funny thing is I actually did get injured at my own graduation by someone throwing their Mortarboard. Didn't require any hospital attention despite a fair amount of blood. Hurt like hell though for the next couple of days!

The usually comment I got was you should of caught it.... well smart arses it wasn't mine, I accidental threw mine into the face of the girl three rows in front of me :lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I hope there were no berets or lederhosen on display either.
    And certainly no dreadlocks on non-blacks.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    The same University who called for 'racist' Mexican sombreros to be banned from their Freshers' Fair.
    Hi,

Just to clarify this, we have not "banned" mortar board throwing. We're simply encouraging this to be done in smaller groups rather than large groups of 250+ people. You can read more here.

A number of other universities take this approach too. We want people to enjoy their day, and we don't want any injuries that could spoil the fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia)
    Hi,

Just to clarify this, we have not "banned" mortar board throwing. We're simply encouraging this to be done in smaller groups rather than large groups of 250+ people. You can read more here.

A number of other universities take this approach too. We want people to enjoy their day, and we don't want any injuries that could spoil the fun
    Quick question how many injuries have there been in the past?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Quick question how many injuries have there been in the past?
    If you have any questions about this please drop us an email - [email protected] - and we'll pass this to the appropriate team

As you can see from DanB1991's post injuries can be sustained in really big groups, so we feel this is a sensible move to take

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia)
    If you have any questions about this please drop us an email - [email protected] - and we'll pass this to the appropriate team

As you can see from DanB1991's post injuries can be sustained in really big groups, so we feel this is a sensible move to take
    Many thanks for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    Leave the EU and you can have your mortar boards back. Vote Leave!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Ignore this guy and you can claim £10k for free from your nearest dodgy corner shop. Choose Ignore!

ReputationRep:
    ninuzu

I feel sorry for your twin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    This comment was copied from the Guardian comments section lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    This comment was copied from the Guardian comments section lmao
    thats plagerism.

ReputationRep:
    Chucking mortar boards always seemed cringey to me.

It's the 21 year old's equivalent of the 16 / 18 year old having a photo with their GCSE / A level exam results slip, jumping in the air.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.