Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you registered to vote yet? Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you registered to vote in the EU referendum?
    I'm registered
    50.58%
    I'm not registered yet
    19.04%
    I'm not going to register
    8.46%
    I'm not going to vote
    21.92%

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hun

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting how many people aren't going to vote. This is a vote for the people and the people aren't even voting. UKIP did well to win us this referendum. I'm voting out, but I'd still respect you more even if you were to vote the other way. At least you'd have an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    Disgusting how many people aren't going to vote. This is a vote for the people and the people aren't even voting. UKIP did well to win us this referendum. I'm voting out, but I'd still respect you more even if you were to vote the other way. At least you'd have an opinion.
    I think a lot of them mean they aren't able to.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Polling card came this morning.

I'm 90% sure i'll be voting to Leave (though i expect a rather comfortable Remain vote given how pitiful the Leave campaign has been) and have even booked the 24th off work so i can stay awake into the long hours watching the results come in.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not old enough to vote but if I was, I'd vote to remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Polling card came this morning.

I'm 90% sure i'll be voting to Leave (though i expect a rather comfortable Remain vote given how pitiful the Leave campaign has been) and have even booked the 24th off work so i can stay awake into the long hours watching the results come in.
    And you can pity people like me who'll be counting the votes
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by preetg97)
    And you can pity people like me who'll be counting the votes
    Congrats. I attended a local election count in 2012 and it was all very interesting.

Unfortunately i've not partook in much campaigning simply because what i have observed so far is a damning indictment of referendum and more evidence that we should never hold one on an important issue again.

ReputationRep:
    vote out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Congrats. I attended a local election count in 2012 and it was all very interesting.

Unfortunately i've not partook in much campaigning simply because what i have observed so far is a damning indictment of referendum and more evidence that we should never hold one on an important issue again.
    I love doing the count, have since I was 17. Always found it really fun to do with my mom, especially when you get spoilt ballots with either insulting stuff written over them or something like 'batman and spongebob'. Figure there'll be a lot of them in June :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preetg97)
    I love doing the count, have since I was 17. Always found it really fun to do with my mom, especially when you get spoilt ballots with either insulting stuff written over them or something like 'batman and spongebob'. Figure there'll be a lot of them in June :lol:
    Really? Why would you even bother doing that to the ballot cards - so pointless, may as well have not bothered going through the process of casting the vote in the first place :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I thought polls were had an oddly high number of non voters till I realised the high number of people under 18 on TSR... Would be interested to know how many of those are people not voting who are able to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Really? Why would you even bother doing that to the ballot cards - so pointless, may as well have not bothered going through the process of casting the vote in the first place :lol:
    Not turning up implies voter apathy, whereas (I believe) spoilt ballots are counted. I know loads of people who spoilt their ballots for the recent Police and Crime Commissioner elections because they don't agree with the idea of PCCs.

ReputationRep:
    What are people voting then?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    The irony. 22% of people would rather vote on whether they are going to vote, rather than actually vote.

ReputationRep:
    I want to vote but I just don't know enough about it

ReputationRep:
    Even though I can't vote yet, I can still technically register although I am moving out of the UK temporarily so wont be able to vote for a while haha. Is there any point in me registering in order to show interest and show up in statistics?

ReputationRep:
    I find it so unfair that European people in the UK don't get a vote in the EU referendum when the outcome will affect them just the same...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ekaterinaaa)
    I find it so unfair that European people in the UK don't get a vote in the EU referendum when the outcome will affect them just the same...
    I totally agree however I think the choice not to include them was more a political one than anything else. If they were to be included then groups like UKIP and possibly even more right wing groups, would take advantage of it, claiming the election was unfair because they aren't british citizens or something. Ultimately if there were an in vote at the end of it all, it would be a lot more likely that said groups could use the fact europeans could vote to grow in popularity by appealing to people (and there are a lot of them) who don't believe that someone from europe should have had a say in the matter -no matter how long they've lived here. Though I do agree, it will impact them too so they should have a vote.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by elisabethgrace)
    Even though I can't vote yet, I can still technically register although I am moving out of the UK temporarily so wont be able to vote for a while haha. Is there any point in me registering in order to show interest and show up in statistics?
    Postal vote or vote by proxy (somebody is permitted to vote on your behalf).

There's no excuse not to cast a vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    I want to vote but I just don't know enough about it
    Then it's also your responsibility as a free person to go and do some research, don't expect everything to be spoon fed you. Exercise you right or lose it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.