Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knockingpoint)
    Believe it or not, i forgot what i wrote, what did you write??
    I'm pretty sure I got it wrong but my answer was "Because they have large teeth, the food molecules are too small and move to fast thus amylase will have no effect" Sounds stupid I know :P But from what I've heard, the correct answer is that amylase is not required because lion's don't eat many carbohydrates thus the amylase is useless. hmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airvib)
    I'm pretty sure I got it wrong but my answer was "Because they have large teeth, the food molecules are too small and move to fast thus amylase will have no effect" Sounds stupid I know :P But from what I've heard, the correct answer is that amylase is not required because lion's don't eat many carbohydrates thus the amylase is useless. hmmm
    Woah, i definitely didn't write that, that's not always true tbh , i would say that's somewhat wrong. And contextual knowledge wont be required in an exam , only your application of the biology syllybus, so i highly doubt that's right.

ReputationRep:
    I talked about it being a carnivore... which now seems extremely stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the amylase question I wrote that lions are carnivores - which means they don't eat many carbohydrates. This would therefore make amylase in the mouth useless as the lions would require a different enzyme such as pepsin or protease to break down the meat.
    Do you guys have any predictions for paper 2? Getting a bit worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucymannhk)
    For the amylase question I wrote that lions are carnivores - which means they don't eat many carbohydrates. This would therefore make amylase in the mouth useless as the lions would require a different enzyme such as pepsin or protease to break down the meat.
    Do you guys have any predictions for paper 2? Getting a bit worried.
    THANK GOD I ALSO WROTE THAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh Anyone got idea what to study for 2BR??

ReputationRep:
    yes can anyone provide the topics tested in paper 1. The topics that are not tested should be the focal point of our revision

ReputationRep:
    The answer to the amylase questio was that meat is protein and and therefore amylasye enzyme does not act on it.It only acts on starch.

ReputationRep:
    So I am going to list the ones I think did not come up on that test:
    Breathing and Gas exchange
    Genetic modification
    Coordination in Animals/Plants
    Transpiration
    Digestion system(Kinda but not a lot)

Anyone want to add onto the list?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomStudent66)
    So I am going to list the ones I think did not come up on that test:
    Breathing and Gas exchange
    Genetic modification
    Coordination in Animals/Plants
    Transpiration
    Digestion system(Kinda but not a lot)

Anyone want to add onto the list?
    Done with paper 2??

ReputationRep:
    How was paper 2 y'all?

ReputationRep:
    I found paper 2 VERY HARD compared to paper 1. I already know I lost a lot of marks in paper 2 when comparing with friends ugh

ReputationRep:
    Finished paper 2 thought it was ok but the 4 marker on germinating seeds threw me off a bit.

I measured energy content in the same way you do it with food so change in temeprature times mass of water times 4.2 or whatever

ReputationRep:
    can we do an unofficial mark scheme ?

ReputationRep:
    My answers may not be 100% correct but it matched with some of my class mates, of course please tell me the ones I got wrong and help expand my answers
    These aren't in order... (I may be missing some)
    1a) What is Digestion?
    Ans: Digestion is the breakdown of large insoluble food molecules into smaller soluble molecules so that they can be absorbed.
    1b) What control can be used when testing blood glucose levels after crushed pancreas is injected to the dogs (IDK the exact question word for word, but it's similar)
    Ans: Do not inject crushed pancreas to some of the dogs without a pancreas to observe the difference. (Something Along Those Lines)
    1ci) Stimulus
    Ans: Level of Glucose
    1cii) Receptor
    Ans: Pancreas (not sure)
    1cii) Effector
    1ciii) I forgot what the question asked
    Ans: -
    1d) What blood vessel carried the hormones (IDK question word for word)
    Ans: Hepatic Artery
    2ai) Water Cycle
    A-Evaporation
    B-Transpiration
    C-Precipitation
    2b) Explain how deforestation can affect water cycle (IDK I'm probably wrong, byt most of my classmates wrote something similar)
    Ans: Cutting down of trees, reduces transpiration, less cloud formation occurs resulting in reduced amounts of rainfall, this can cause not much run off to flow into rivers which can contribute to drought as rivers dry up because evaporated water isn't replaced by the runoff from mountains.
    2c) Explain how carbon cycle is affected by deforestation? (IDK the question)
    Ans: Burning trees release carbon which is a green house gas that contributes to green house effect and can bring about global warming, Fewer trees, less decomposition, CO2 not removed from air as less photosynthesis occurs due to lack of trees
    3a) Energy Content of Seed Question
    Ans: (Copied from Internet)
    a Use the measuring cylinder to measure volume of water
    b Measure the temperature of the water with the thermometer. Record the temperature in a suitable results table.

c Find mass of seed. Record the mass in the table.

d Impale the seed with needle/Use tongs to hold seed.

e Light the Bunsen burner and hold the seed in the flame until it catches alight.

f As soon as the food is alight, put it under the boiling tube of water as shown. Try to make sure that as much of the heat from the burning seed as possible is transferred to the water. Do this by keeping the flame under the tube.

g Hold the seed in place until the seed has burnt completely.

h As soon as the seed has burned away completely and the flame has gone out, measure the temperature of the water again. Before measuring, stir the water carefully with the thermometer and note down the highest temperature reached in the results table.

i Repeat the procedure several times, reject anomalous values and average it out.

j Calculate the rise in temperature each time.

k Calculate the energy released from the seed by using this formula.

4.2 is the value of the specific heat capacity of water, in joules per gram per degree Celsius – the number of joules taken to raise the temperature of water by 1 °C. 1 cm3 of water has a mass of 1 g

3b) Test Tube A (Dry Cotton Wool)

Factor: Water

Will it Germinate: -

Test Tube C (Boiling and Cool Water with oil suspension)

Factor: Oxygen

Test Tube D (Put in Fridge)

Factor: Temperature

3c) How would students know if seed is germinating

Ans: Check for growth of radicle and plumule

4) Sperm

ai) Function of Head

Contains genetic information to create baby (Has 23 chromosomes) And acrosome enzymes break down fluid surrounding egg

aii) Mitochondria

Produce ATP by aerobic respiration

aiii) Tail

Helps swim up through vagina to fertilise egg

4b) Adaptation of Motor Neurone

Ans:

5ai) Stages 1 & 2 (I'm not sure it could be 5 and 2)

5b) Reason for cooling milk to 45C

Ans: At 80C Bacteria would denature at 45 optimum temp for activity

5c) Why was stage 2 and 5 carried out

Ans: Prevent growth of unwanted microorganisms...

5d) I forgot question

5e) What effects do adding fruits to yoghurt have on healthy skin

Ans: Fruits contain many vitamins that help skin stay healthy

6ai) Molecule made from Magnesium

Ans: Chlorophyll

Molecule made from Nitrate

Ans: Proteins

6aii) Ratio is 700 something is to one

706:1 (Its not 706 but its 3 digits and starts with 7)

6b) What happens when there is too much water in soil

Ans: Less Actice Transport occurs and becomes water logged... (IDK answer)

That's all I remember sorry if that didnmt really help but feel free to change and add stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1ciii was response which was release of insulin into the bloodstream

ReputationRep:
    By the way now that Biology is over is anyone interested in starting a chemistry thread? like any predictions for paper 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaudi)
    My answers may not be 100% correct but it matched with some of my class mates, of course please tell me the ones I got wrong and help expand my answers
    1a) What is Digestion?
    Ans: Digestion is the breakdown of large insoluble food molecules into smaller soluble molecules so that they can be absorbed.
    1b) What control can be used when testing blood glucose levels after crushed pancreas is injected to the dogs (IDK the exact question word for word, but it's similar)
    Ans: Do not inject crushed pancreas to some of the dogs without a pancreas to observe the difference. (Something Along Those Lines)
    1ci) Stimulus
    1cii) Receptor
    1cii) Effector
    2ai) Water Cycle
    A-Evaporation
    B-Transpiration
    C-Precipitation
    2b) Explain how deforestation can affect water cycle (IDK I'm probably wrong, byt most of my classmates wrote something similar)
    Ans: Cutting down of trees, reduces transpiration, less cloud formation occurs resulting in reduced amounts of rainfall, this can cause not much run off to flow into rivers which can contribute to drought as rivers dry up because evaporated water isn't replaced by the runoff from mountains.
    Ans: Burning trees release carbon which is a green house gas that contributes to green house effect and can bring about global warming, Fewer trees, less decomposition, CO2 not removed from air as less photosynthesis occurs due to lack of trees
    b Measure the temperature of the water with the thermometer. Record the temperature in a suitable results table.

e Light the Bunsen burner and hold the seed in the flame until it catches alight.

f As soon as the food is alight, put it under the boiling tube of water as shown. Try to make sure that as much of the heat from the burning seed as possible is transferred to the water. Do this by keeping the flame under the tube.

h As soon as the seed has burned away completely and the flame has gone out, measure the temperature of the water again. Before measuring, stir the water carefully with the thermometer and note down the highest temperature reached in the results table.

i Repeat the procedure several times, reject anomalous values and average it out.

4.2 is the value of the specific heat capacity of water, in joules per gram per degree Celsius – the number of joules taken to raise the temperature of water by 1 °C. 1 cm3 of water has a mass of 1 g

4) Sperm

ai) Function of Head

Contains genetic information to create baby (Has 23 chromosomes) And acrosome enzymes break down fluid surrounding egg

aii) Mitochondria

aiii) Tail

Ans:

5d) I forgot question

That's all I remember sorry if that didnmt really help but feel free to change and add stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
    6b) idea that there is less oxygen so less respiration, less ATP energy so less Active transport

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaudi)
    1a) What is Digestion?
    1ci) Stimulus
    1cii) Receptor
    1cii) Effector
    2ai) Water Cycle
    A-Evaporation
    B-Transpiration
    C-Precipitation

4) Sperm

ai) Function of Head

aii) Mitochondria

aiii) Tail

Ans:

5d) I forgot question

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's so good, thanks!!! Much appreciation!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.