Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I do think there's some merit to the idea that democracy doesn't always lead to the smartest or most rational outcome. Reminds me of Plato's ship analogy for democracy. In an ideal society, perhaps we could be governed by a perfect un self-interested academic elite who work for the benefit of society instead of a 'pleasure cruise'. Perhaps a good way to tackle this would be through greater education of politics, as you suggest.

However, other than that I disagree with pretty much every point you make :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    To get the job or the degree requires hard work... If they are too lazy to get the quality of job or degree then they shouldn't be voting.

Not stolen... All money belongs to the state and only exists Because of it. Also they aren't paying as much tax anymore (thinking about the old) because they aren't working. And again they have the ability to make life great for them by ruining the next generation which shouldn't happen.

I'm not saying they have to vote for a crackpot to ruin things. It is fundamentally wrong that the dead and dying can change the way the living live by force.
    A degree also requires a certain amount of intelligence, and not having this level of intelligence should not mean that you are excluded from voting.

People also earn money, whether they currently are or previously have. The money, therefore, is theirs. They will be having this money taken away from them without anything in return, in this case the right to vote, it is being stolen.

You can turn the argument of old people ruining the lives of the young around. Young people who qualify to vote can ruin the lives of the elderly, sick and unintelligent that cannot vote. It works both ways, which oddly enough is why people of almost all ages can vote, so they are all represented.

I also highly doubt old people would intentionally ruin the lives of their own children and grandchildren. The logic behind this bill is skewed at best.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Hell no
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    A degree also requires a certain amount of intelligence, and not having this level of intelligence should not mean that you are excluded from voting.

People also earn money, whether they currently are or previously have. The money, therefore, is theirs. They will be having this money taken away from them without anything in return, in this case the right to vote, it is being stolen.

You can turn the argument of old people ruining the lives of the young around. Young people who qualify to vote can ruin the lives of the elderly, sick and unintelligent that cannot vote. It works both ways, which oddly enough is why people of almost all ages can vote, so they are all represented.

I also highly doubt old people would intentionally ruin the lives of their own children and grandchildren. The logic behind this bill is skewed at best.
    Not really... Just hard work... Same with getting a job...

It's not stealing... That is just emotive irrational language. And they still get things like the NHS...

Except that the aged don't have long left and if the young ruin the ages life they know the same will likely happen to them...

Wether it's intentional or not doesn't matter. Why should the dead decide how the living live? The dying should let the young decide what they want and not have the whims of the dying trust upon them.

ReputationRep:
    Also, you know what's coming...

#aphtheliberal
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Also, you know what's coming...

#aphtheliberal
    Prsom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Not really... Just hard work... Same with getting a job...

It's not stealing... That is just emotive irrational language. And they still get things like the NHS...

Except that the aged don't have long left and if the young ruin the ages life they know the same will likely happen to them...

Wether it's intentional or not doesn't matter. Why should the dead decide how the living live? The dying should let the young decide what they want and not have the whims of the dying trust upon them.
    So, getting a degree does not require a decent level of intelligence? Ok then.

It is not 'emotive irrational language' at all actually, it is a valid point. You pay tax in the knowledge that you have a say in how that money is spent via a vote. Remove this vote, and one removes the reason for which one pays tax. You are planning to take people's money whilst giving them no say over what is done with it.

Also, no one has anyone elses opinion 'thrust upon them.' We live in a democracy, parties and policies that the majority of people in a given system choose to vote for are put into power, and have power over those that didn't vote for them.

So where does this all end? Why should one part of the youth have the opinions of another section of the youth thrust onto them? That section of the youth should let the other group decide what they want and not have the whims of another group thrust upon them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye!

Jk as if
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not even going to brother with is bill .... Aph clearly has some mental disorder ...... If he wants to remove a basic civil right to vote
    Also how is a 10 year old meant to have a degree? According to this the voting age in 10
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Aph, I have to ask, were you tripping on acid when you wrote this?

ReputationRep:
    65%? How incredibly arbitrary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Too soft.

I need the requirements to be:

1. hold an undergraduate degree in a professional field from a recognized university, ie one from a Top 50 university in the world according to QS or Times, with at least a 2:1; and
    2. hold a postgraduate degree from a Top 20 university in the world; and
    3. be in a recognized profession with a salary higher than the GDP per capita; and
    4. be with a recognized qualification in an art or sports.

ReputationRep:
    Current voting rights are fine. The only change that needs to be made is that Aph should be banned from voting.

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    ByronicHero 3(1)(d) :awesome:
    Oh dear. Aph still hasn't offered proof that his IQ is greater than 100 :lol:

I think we should take this bill as proof that it isn't

ReputationRep:
    Nay!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    So, getting a degree does not require a decent level of intelligence? Ok then.
    it does however a person with below average inteligence can get a good degree or a good job by hard work.

It is not 'emotive irrational language' at all actually, it is a valid point. You pay tax in the knowledge that you have a say in how that money is spent via a vote. Remove this vote, and one removes the reason for which one pays tax. You are planning to take people's money whilst giving them no say over what is done with it.
    People pay taxes to the state because the state owns the land they live on. you don't complain how your landlord spends the money you give him or how McDonalds spends the money you give them so you have no right to complain in a similar ilk about the state.

Also, no one has anyone elses opinion 'thrust upon them.' We live in a democracy, parties and policies that the majority of people in a given system choose to vote for are put into power, and have power over those that didn't vote for them.
    If one party is put into power by the dead or dying then that is the people who live having to clean up their mess.

(Original post by hazzer1998)
    I'm not even going to brother with is bill .... Aph clearly has some mental disorder ...... If he wants to remove a basic civil right to vote
    Also how is a 10 year old meant to have a degree? According to this the voting age in 10
    ad hominems are not needed. and a 10 year old would have to meet the IQ component. although there are some who get degrees (generally in maths) iirc
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Aph, I have to ask, were you tripping on acid when you wrote this?
    No, I wrote this to spark a debate to try and clean up my political dilemma... but this house doesn't understand debate it has just been 'this offends me' which is stupid.

(Original post by Life_peer)
    I'd say it's more or less the right idea with very poor Aphesque implementation.
    How would you improve implementation?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Aph You wrote this to spark debate. I get that. But it's backfired. The Tories had a disenfranchisement bill 2 terms ago (?) and that was well debated.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, encourages indoctrination and it's just trying to get rid of other supporters
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'll pretend I read more than the title, nay

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.