Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I do an AMA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownRoyalist)
    Should I do an AMA?
    Damn straight.

ReputationRep:
    Nice work. I passed mine first time with 45/50 and 59/75, not great but still a pass. Practical is on July 21st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryDave)
    Nice work. I passed mine first time with 45/50 and 59/75, not great but still a pass. Practical is on July 21st.
    Yeah, that's plenty good man! Good luck with the practical too.

ReputationRep:
    what would you say is the biggest tip you can give to someone???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richci)
    Title.

If anyone has questions or wants advice about it, I'll try my best!
    Did you have any nightmares at night that you'd fail in an extremely horrific way? :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arvin Bhambra)
    what would you say is the biggest tip you can give to someone???
    Practice the mock test until you can pass it well every time. With enough times you'll cycle through nearly all the questions that will come up! Definitely take the official DVSA mock online, most of the questions on the mock came up in my actual exam!

(Original post by BBC Two)
    Did you have any nightmares at night that you'd fail in an extremely horrific way? :zomg:
    No, actually. That's oddly specific. I thought I was going to fail the Hazard Perception but that's about it?

ReputationRep:
    What about the practical side of the test. Any tips????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richci)

Yeah, absolutely. I think to get the manoeuvres down you literally just need loads of time to get used to the car and the clutch control and once a week really doesn't cut it in my eyes! That's fantastic though, Good luck, I hope you get it!
    Yeah clutch control is important really lol. My instructor has just had a new clutch fitted in, and my test is in like 2 weeks. I was really annoyed, as now i can't control the clutch as well as i used to, with it being lighter and all lol.

Oh and congrats for passing - i too passed mine first time. 50/50 multiple, and 60/75 on hazard(got 0 marks on two questions for trying to cheat apparently)

ReputationRep:
    I've not done it myself yet man, literally just done the theory!

(Original post by Dann.It)
    Yeah clutch control is important really lol. My instructor had just had a new clutch fitted in, and my test is in like 2 weeks. I was really annoyed, as now i can't control the clutch as well as i used to, with it being lighter and all lol.

Oh and congrats for passing - i too passed mine first time. 50/50 multiple, and 60/75 on hazard(got 0 marks on two questions for trying to cheat apparently)
    Oh dear, that's typical isn't it. Good luck on the test though!

Thank you! You absolutely nailed it, that's insane! Got nothing to worry about if you do as well on the practical side.

ReputationRep:
    when you thinking about booking your theory?

ReputationRep:
    As bad as it is, it's luck on the day. First time I did my practical I failed for being "too close" to the white line separating the lanes on the roundabout and that apparently counted as me "crossing lanes" even though I remained in my lane the whole time. Second time I passed but made loads of mistakes and shouldn't have passed in my opinion. Examiners apparently only have a certain amount of people they can pass each month so if they've hit their limit they have to make up excuses for why a perfect candidate failed.

ReputationRep:
    what would you say is the hardest aspect of driving?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leanney)
    Examiners apparently only have a certain amount of people they can pass each month so if they've hit their limit they have to make up excuses for why a perfect candidate failed.
    What you said, is a myth which those that fail their test, can't accept the fact that they've failed, so come up with a whole lot of garbage of there being a certain limit of how many candidates examiners can pass.
    An examiner will pass you IF they feel as though you're prepared to be driving around on your own, safely.

ReputationRep:
    What you said, is a myth which those that fail their test, can't accept the fact that they've failed, so come up with a whole lot of garbage of there being a certain limit of how many candidates examiners can pass.
    An examiner will pass you IF they feel as though you're prepared to be driving around on your own, safely.
    My driving instructor told me there's a quota so it's obviously not just a myth...

ReputationRep:
    My driving instructor told me there's a quota so it's obviously not just a myth...
    I mean, I have no idea about it... But I remember seeing something about a person who used to work in the test centre who confirmed this? Obviously no real way to know aside from working there yourself but... Eh.

Either way, try til' you pass I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Your instructor was probably trying to make you feel better after you'd failed?

ReputationRep:
    Your instructor was probably trying to make you feel better after you'd failed?
    She told me after I'd passed actually, she probably didn't want to tell me when I failed just in case I appealed or something

ReputationRep:
    She told me after I'd passed actually, she probably didn't want to tell me when I failed just in case I appealed or something
    Who told your driving instructor? It would be a bit odd for the examiners to go around telling instructors this secret quota, wouldn't you think?

Might I suggest a more logical reason behind the "quota" myth being a mixture of instructors wanting to reassure their students after a bad test that (A) it wasn't their fault, and (B) that the teaching quality isn't to blame?

ReputationRep:
    Appealing for what? You were being tested by someone who already HAS a license, and some experience on the road too. Whether you chose to appeal or not, the examiner's decisions wouldn't have changed, you still would have failed.

Like i said, the quota myth is only told to student that had failed to reassure that it wasn't their fault (just like another person has stated above).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.