Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B978 - The Value Added Tax (Amendment) Bill 2016 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    That's how it was written and there was nothing to suggest otherwise.
    Then on top of the lack of logical though and semi - general knowledge comes a funny interpretation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Is this to encourage cycling? And if so aren't the bigger issues to look at to encourage cycling, such as lack of places to store bikes at work places, lack of changing rooms in work places and lack of showers, given cycling can be a physically demanding form of exercise (or so I am told, I can't actual cycle so...)
    Yes to encourage cycling and also wearing of cycle helmets. Bus and train fares have no VAT and I would like cycling to be the same, but Margaret Thatcher's agreement that once VAT is imposed it cannot be removed prevents this.

ReputationRep:
    I am happy to define repairs and insulation in a second reading, as I am sure the house would not wish to reduce the Vat rate on large basement extensions in Belgravia or south Cheshire (or anywhere else).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, sounds sensible - we should definitely be supporting green alternatives
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nay, we should be taxing less not more.
    Seriously?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    No immediate objections (besides the clunkiness of the definition) - I like the potential for expanding the scope of the bill in future.

ReputationRep:
    Aye - a sensible bill which not only helps people live in good accommodation but promote greener transport.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Is this to encourage cycling? And if so aren't the bigger issues to look at to encourage cycling, such as lack of places to store bikes at work places, lack of changing rooms in work places and lack of showers, given cycling can be a physically demanding form of exercise (or so I am told, I can't actual cycle so...)
    You can't cycle?!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    After doing more research on VAT, Andy98 has lots of explaining to do, CE marked cycle helmets are charged at 0% so this bill introduces a 5% tax, insulation is already charged at 5% meaning this bill does nothing there, and renovations on property left empty for over two years is currently charged at 5% so the bill has little impact there; the Green Party is incompetent when it comes to research.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    After doing more research on VAT, Andy98 has lots of explaining to do, CE marked cycle helmets are charged at 0% so this bill introduces a 5% tax, insulation is already charged at 5% meaning this bill does nothing there, and renovations on property left empty for over two years is currently charged at 5% so the bill has little impact there; the Green Party is incompetent when it comes to research.
    The aim of this bill is to set all the listed items to the lowest tax rate, of 5%. While, admittedly, some of the listed items already are at that rate, some are not. Plus we could not remember whether TSR had already passed something to change the taxes of these items, so rather than checking Hansard (which can take an age) we decided to be on the safe side by including all of the items.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andy98)
    The aim of this bill is to set all the listed items to the lowest tax rate, of 5%. While, admittedly, some of the listed items already are at that rate, some are not. Plus we could not remember whether TSR had already passed something to change the taxes of these items, so rather than checking Hansard (which can take an age) we decided to be on the safe side by including all of the items.
    There is no denying that some of the items in the bill will see tax introduced to them for the first time; cycling will be less attractive. I thought the Green Party would be encouraging cycling by keeping helmets tax free, not introducing a 5% on helmets which would increase the price of a decent helmet by £10.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There is no denying that some of the items in the bill will see tax introduced to them for the first time; cycling will be less attractive. I thought the Green Party would be encouraging cycling by keeping helmets tax free, not introducing a 5% on helmets which would increase the price of a decent helmet by £10.
    A decent helmet doesn't cost £200, more like a quarter of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'll be completely honest, we did assume that helmets were classed as non-essential goods, thusly, they would have higher taxes. May I ask where you managed to find this information?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, a helmet that does the job can be as cheap as £20-£30
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you plan on purchasing a top, well-protected helmet like the POC Cerebel, the Casco Speed Time helmet, or something by Ops-core, the starting price is £280 rising to thousands of pounds.

I'll be completely honest, we did assume that helmets were classed as non-essential goods, thusly, they would have higher taxes. May I ask where you managed to find this information?
    This chart on a government website has an extensive list of VAT rates for each item, CE-market helmets are included in the table.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    If you plan on purchasing a top, well-protected helmet like the POC Cerebel, the Casco Speed Time helmet, or something by Ops-core, the starting price is £280 rising to thousands of pounds.
    But those are unnecessarily expensive - they can be the full 20% for all I care

This chart on a government website has an extensive list of VAT rates for each item, CE-market helmets are included in the table.
    Ahhh thank you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But those are unnecessarily expensive - they can be the full 20% for all I care

Ahhh thank you
    So just because they're on the expensive end of the spectrum they can be taxed more? Then again, you probably think you'd be robin hood doing that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So just because they're on the expensive end of the spectrum they can be taxed more? Then again, you probably think you'd be robin hood doing that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No offense but unless you're an elite cyclist you've clearly got more money than sense if you're buying a £300 helmet. That's not a good thing. Plus if you're willing to pay that much a tax raise really won't cause any harm.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No offense but unless you're an elite cyclist you've clearly got more money than sense if you're buying a £300 helmet. That's not a good thing. Plus if you're willing to pay that much a tax raise really won't cause any harm.
    So why would it cause harm at the bottom helmets, after all, clearly if you can afford a bike and helmet you can afford a few quid in tax, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So why would it cause harm at the bottom helmets, after all, clearly if you can afford a bike and helmet you can afford a few quid in tax, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We want to encourage cycling, so the cheaper helmets are where the difference lies.... That being said, I can't remember the last time I saw a cyclist wear a helmet.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.