Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Australian, Actor, 15, with severe depression. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not a fan of CBT in its short term model in general.

If depression is trauma related, the depression lifts as the trauma is worked on. It mostly depends on the individual. I do believe that how we think about stuff is a large factor in our recovery but I think depression can be a symptom of other stuff. For example: we present as depressed but when we dig into it, it's actually about this huge disconnect from ourselves. Or depression as a survival tactic from high stress and anxiety.

I do believe in the chemical imbalance theory but I believe that that is because of a reason for most people. That when our brain tried to regulate emotions in a stressful situation it realised it wasn't sending enough depress stuff and then flooded the system. The side effect is that we eventually get depression because it's mostly safer. Heart rate slows and we aren't surviving on adrenaline. Down side, suicidal ideation.

Not exactly science-y because it stems from my experience of anxiety and depression. And my wider knowledge of people with the same mix.

I think depression is complex and really needs an holistic approach where we look at the psychology of the client but also look at how to improve their environment. If someone is living in a poor situation - unsafe housing, unsafe job etc the depression won't lift nor will psychologising an environmental problem. - like the government trying to say joblessness is a mental health illness not simply that there are few jobs and even fewer good ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    Well, I'm not a fan of CBT in its short term model in general.

If depression is trauma related, the depression lifts as the trauma is worked on. It mostly depends on the individual. I do believe that how we think about stuff is a large factor in our recovery but I think depression can be a symptom of other stuff. For example: we present as depressed but when we dig into it, it's actually about this huge disconnect from ourselves. Or depression as a survival tactic from high stress and anxiety.

I do believe in the chemical imbalance theory but I believe that that is because of a reason for most people. That when our brain tried to regulate emotions in a stressful situation it realised it wasn't sending enough depress stuff and then flooded the system. The side effect is that we eventually get depression because it's mostly safer. Heart rate slows and we aren't surviving on adrenaline. Down side, suicidal ideation.

Not exactly science-y because it stems from my experience of anxiety and depression. And my wider knowledge of people with the same mix.

I think depression is complex and really needs an holistic approach where we look at the psychology of the client but also look at how to improve their environment. If someone is living in a poor situation - unsafe housing, unsafe job etc the depression won't lift nor will psychologising an environmental problem. - like the government trying to say joblessness is a mental health illness not simply that there are few jobs and even fewer good ones
    Thanks a lot. You make a lot of sense. Can I PM you?

ReputationRep:
    Sure

ReputationRep:
    See your GP.

ReputationRep:
    See your gp asap! I know it's hard but try and get a family member or a friend who knows a little about how you're feeling to take you.

Your gp will advise you best and direct you to relevant help; whether it's counselling or medication

I'm sorry you're feeling depressed and I sincerely hope things become better for you in time. If you need help, don't hesitate to contact someone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    Sure
    Do you know how to quote?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Do you know how to quote?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Less skills when it comes to multi quote tho

ReputationRep:
    Aww...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.