Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    He said it to stop you slacking, you should be thanking him.

If you wanted to do the Foundation test anyway then you're aiming for a maximum of C, which he's put you in a better position to achieve by revising harder stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm could be worse. Revise now....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The fact that there is no full stop in the complete paragraph truly reflects upon your annoyance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolatmaths)
    Depends, if youre capable and was able to get over a C then i think that was quite wrong.
    Exact! I've always been predicted A/B from coursework etc but they had to put me on foundation due to Target Grade (based off SAT's from year 6, which I think is dumb) it wasn't being on foundation tier that annoyed me, it was the fact that he told me to do higher, so I put in so much time and effort for it but ended up doing foundation I could've just learnt the simple basic words instead of learning harder words when it isn't even going to appear on foundation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lea84)
    Exact! I've always been predicted A/B from coursework etc but they had to put me on foundation due to Target Grade (based off SAT's from year 6, which I think is dumb) it wasn't being on foundation tier that annoyed me, it was the fact that he told me to do higher, so I put in so much time and effort for it but ended up doing foundation I could've just learnt the simple basic words instead of learning harder words when it isn't even going to appear on foundation
    Fighting the tears back as I read this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenPolyglot)
    The fact that there is no full stop in the complete paragraph truly reflects upon your annoyance...
    Sorry, didn't know I was in an English class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lea84)
    I received my exam timetable which said I was sitting for foundation and I asked my teacher about it but he kept insisting that I was doing the higher and he was 100% sure I'm doing the higher and not foundation, so I spent my whole weekend revising for the higher tier and in my exam I was told that I was sitting for the foundation and not higher at all (which was such a waste of whole revision because I could've comply revised for foundation) and my teacher even said that he knew I was doing foundation but only said that I was doing higher to prepare me even more. Is this even acceptable?
    No, this is not acceptable. You need to appeal. Talk to another teacher, your tutor or even someone at your school reception to see how to go about this.
    Even if the teacher thought you were unlikely to pass in higher, which is why they allocated you to foundation, they should have made you aware of that and made sure you were comfortable with it and understood their reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Our exam invigilators gave people when we did GCSE the opportunity to do higher if they felt they wanted to before the exam . It was your responsibility to say you didn't have the right paper in front of you.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i would take it further, write a letter to your headteacher. It has obviously upset you, all of you sat there judging would be just as upset if you was put in that position..

Its not necessarily the fact that you wasted time that should upset you because you will have been much better prepared. Its that between teacher and student there should be a level of respect and trust, this teacher has put a divide in that relationship.

Examinations are stressful enough as it is without such complications, can you imagine getting in an exam and having something put in front of you that you wasnt expecting? It would throw you off and worry you.. i completely understand why you feel the way you do, but id take the time now to concentrate on your other exams.. you should have an exam timetable which will tell you if you are doing higher or foundation!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayla.Jalloh)
    Our exam invigilators gave people when we did GCSE the opportunity to do higher if they felt they wanted to before the exam . It was your responsibility to say you didn't have the right paper in front of you.
    they always do that lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdaniels2011)
    At my school they ask regardless for some reason..
    it wouldnt matter either way. she revised all weeked for it. she cant just simply do the foundation after revising for higher...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I would be furious.

Confirm this with the exam officer, then make an official complaint. The teacher might have had his reasons, but he lied and you altered your exam prep. Not accpetable.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Wouldnt they have a limited number of exam papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lea84)
    I received my exam timetable which said I was sitting for foundation and I asked my teacher about it but he kept insisting that I was doing the higher and he was 100% sure I'm doing the higher and not foundation, so I spent my whole weekend revising for the higher tier and in my exam I was told that I was sitting for the foundation and not higher at all (which was such a waste of whole revision because I could've comply revised for foundation) and my teacher even said that he knew I was doing foundation but only said that I was doing higher to prepare me even more. Is this even acceptable?
    Edit: people are saying that it's because I'm not "capable" of doing higher, I've been doing higher papers for this subject and had managed to do well in it, they put me on foundation for a completely different reason, but that's beside the point I'm just annoyed that I prepared myself a lot for higher only to end up doing foundation
    I think you should tell you parents first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Wouldnt they have a limited number of exam papers?
    Not sure but I do know before the exam everyone is asked if they're happy with the paper in front of them.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Not sure but I do know before the exam everyone is asked if they're happy with the paper in front of them.
    I'd think thats just a check you have the correct one. I am going on the basis the exam officer states who is entered for foundation and higher. I dont hink you would get to choose. No idea what would happen is someone entered for foundation did higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I'd think thats just a check you have the correct one. I am going on the basis the exam officer states who is entered for foundation and higher. I dont hink you would get to choose. No idea what would happen is someone entered for foundation did higher.
    Maybe I'm thinking of our mocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    What would be the point of reporting? If you manage to fail the foundation paper then obviously you would fail the higher tier miserably
    You misunderestimate the power of snitching. I wouldn't have got in the team at LA Lakers without snitching on a few mother-****ers.

ReputationRep:
    Nope :noway: its not acceptable.... teachers can't do this to someone just to make them to revise more :erm: if you were in a higher set then you should be able to do higher....
    You have the right to know what tier you are sitting in an exam :yep:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.