Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rjhepkenhdjd)
    if you type in 'wjec english literature' on youtube it comes up with a guy who goes through how to structure each type of question (channels called 'the english teacher' i think). ahh the structure confuses me too so i've been looking at past example for wjec n like how other people structure it. i've heard different things about the extract q though so i'm not sure whether do it in one paragraph or multiple n ahh
    Hey, I'll definitely try that, thank you
    I'm sort of confused on how to structure the extract too but what I've decided to do it in lots of different paragraphs - It's better to be safe than sorry

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing exactly the same as you and totally am dreading it! I'm just praying that one of the essay questions will be on Curley's wife or about the women in the book. I've been told for extract you need to pick a range of quotes from start to finish which obviously link to the question. Additionally you need to sustain your answer be thoughtful of what you are saying! When talking about atmosphere and mood, a common mistake is that people say 'negative' or repeats 'tense' atmosphere. You need to give a variety of different words to explain the tenses, don't keep repeating the same boring ones!

Follow the PEE/PEEL rule which all teachers nag about as this will help to construct your essay much better. For the essay question remember that one of the questions you will need to refer to the 'social, historical and cultural context of the novel' and link this to the answers you are giving. Remember a few quotes for the main characters and then for the themes/context have a few quotes which you can use to link to this. Just remember to show off to the examiner!!

For unseen poetry our school follows the technique which is called 'CAATS'
    C - Content
    A - Atmosphere/Attitude
    A - Audience
    T - Techniques used
    S - Structure

and then finally give an overview (Opinion of the poem and the overall message of the poem)
    However our teacher has basically said, you can say whatever you want about the poems as long as you back up with evidence and a good explanation, you'll be good to go!

My biggest tip, is take time to read the bloody extract and the poems!! Don't rush into your answers, annotate/highlight away!! As you do not want to mis-interpretate the extract or poems. As long as you do an hour on mice and men and an hour on the poems, you'll be fine!
    Good luck for tomorrow!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrlhyms)
    It will be fine, you can really talk about one point in so much detail and just make stuff up, as long as you go into lots of detail and KEEP TRACK OF TIME you will be fine
    Yeah, I think as long as I know the quotes then I can work around them. I definitely need to keep track of time cause I'm rubbish at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imi_doe)
    Hey, I'm doing exactly the same as you and totally am dreading it! I'm just praying that one of the essay questions will be on Curley's wife or about the women in the book. I've been told for extract you need to pick a range of quotes from start to finish which obviously link to the question. Additionally you need to sustain your answer be thoughtful of what you are saying! When talking about atmosphere and mood, a common mistake is that people say 'negative' or repeats 'tense' atmosphere. You need to give a variety of different words to explain the tenses, don't keep repeating the same boring ones!

Follow the PEE/PEEL rule which all teachers nag about as this will help to construct your essay much better. For the essay question remember that one of the questions you will need to refer to the 'social, historical and cultural context of the novel' and link this to the answers you are giving. Remember a few quotes for the main characters and then for the themes/context have a few quotes which you can use to link to this. Just remember to show off to the examiner!!

For unseen poetry our school follows the technique which is called 'CAATS'
    C - Content
    A - Atmosphere/Attitude
    A - Audience
    T - Techniques used
    S - Structure

and then finally give an overview (Opinion of the poem and the overall message of the poem)
    However our teacher has basically said, you can say whatever you want about the poems as long as you back up with evidence and a good explanation, you'll be good to go!

My biggest tip, is take time to read the bloody extract and the poems!! Don't rush into your answers, annotate/highlight away!! As you do not want to mis-interpretate the extract or poems. As long as you do an hour on mice and men and an hour on the poems, you'll be fine!
    Good luck for tomorrow!!
    Hey, thank you so much for the advice! That is so helpful (especially for the poetry). I really appreciate it.
    Good Luck!!! You'll be fine. I'm hoping that one of the essay questions are about feminism or a topic that is really broad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactii)
    That youtube account is great. I would suggest several paragraphs so you can make several points and then the entire essay is more structured and extensive. Check out the examiner reports on WJEC's website; they really help t see what the examiner is looking for/
    Hi, I'll definitely try that, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Is there only one question for unseen poetry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieSwagPants)
    Is there only one question for unseen poetry?
    Yes it will say "both poems are about..." "write about both poems and their effect on you"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBK14)
    Yes it will say "both poems are about..." "write about both poems and their effect on you"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

For OMAM there is a charcter and theme question and you have to pick one of these?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

For OMAM there is a charcter and theme question and you have to pick one of these?
    There is the compulsory extract question to start, and then you choose between the two essay questions and in the past they have tended to be split between character and then something else like theme or setting so - yeah 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBK14)
    There is the compulsory extract question to start, and then you choose between the two essay questions and in the past they have tended to be split between character and then something else like theme or setting so - yeah 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks again good luck if you're doing it tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again good luck if you're doing it tomorrow!
    Thanks you too. I am and I'm really worried but ah well

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.