Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilmaWizard)
    Its a new spec so there is only specimen papers to revise from. Thats why the grade boundaries will probably be lower this year as nobody knows what to expect.
    Or the paper might be easy - so high grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNinja98)
    Around 55/75 for an A
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Why-_-Study-_-)
    Or the paper might be easy - so high grade boundaries.
    Debatable - The paper might be easy (in terms of the questions) however the mark scheme can be extremely harsh when it comes to the usage of keywords. I was marked down for saying "amino acid sequence" rather than "specific amino acid sequence" in a question.

Also, some have argued that because this is the new specification, the board might lower boundaries to make the spec more appealing, I highly doubt that however as I don't think it will sit well with Ofqual!.

ReputationRep:
    OCR AS BIOLOGY A (2015) - These puns are getting cornea and cornea...
    http://link.q.is/Pnwc/QvKOBHPGFt

This is a quiz for Biology and it is getting constantly updated so it's really great for quick fire revision and good for practice of Multiple choice questions. Although its based from the OCR Spec, it's still useful for revision because biology is simply biology... So enjoy revising!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone doing to revise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilmaWizard)
    What is everyone doing to revise?
    I left the specimen paper for today so i did that, but other than that not much

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if we need to know about lung diseases like asthma?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxsciencemathsxX)
    Does anyone know if we need to know about lung diseases like asthma?
    The spec has been very vague about this. However I would still strongly suggest learning about WHAT asthma does (Smooth lining of bronchioles attacked meaning it contracts and extra mucus is produced, constricting the airways which cause wheezing etc.) and what impact it as on forced expiratory volume [reduces it so less air breathed out per second])

And also how to reduce the effects e.g. asthma pump to widen (dilate) the airways by making the bronchiole muscles relax.

Hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyFool229)
    The spec has been very vague about this. However I would still strongly suggest learning about WHAT asthma does (Smooth lining of bronchioles attacked meaning it contracts and extra mucus is produced, constricting the airways which cause wheezing etc.) and what impact it as on forced expiratory volume [reduces it so less air breathed out per second])

And also how to reduce the effects e.g. asthma pump to widen (dilate) the airways by making the bronchiole muscles relax.

Hope that helped.
    Thanks! Also, do you think that we have to learn about centrifugation of DNA molecules containg a heavier isotope to prove the sem-conservative model?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxsciencemathsxX)
    Thanks! Also, do you think that we have to learn about centrifugation of DNA molecules containg a heavier isotope to prove the sem-conservative model?
    Yes, we need to know about how Meelson and Stahn (However you spell it) did their experiment to prove semi-conservative replication

ReputationRep:
    I didnt know we had to know their names, just the principle of semi conservative replication.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to know the names of those who were involved. Just the process that they undertook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exam in a couple hours and I'm failing. FML.

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone feel about this exam?

ReputationRep:
    good luck everyone new spec so hopefully their merciful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget everyone; stay calm, stay focused and smash this exam 👌👌

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicine71012)
    How does everyone feel about this exam?
    Feeling quite confident but lets see if im saying the same thing after :')

ReputationRep:
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    which practicals do we need to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FettyYak)
    which practicals do we need to know?
    The 6 required ones... Enzymes, serial dilution, aseptic technique, dissection, mitotic index and membrane permeability

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.