Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Amusing. At least you're a troll that makes an attempt to source things you say, vaguely, in a not at all rigorous way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Truth Now)
    I made a response some number of posts ago. You replied with a pop quiz question. Hardly a debate then, it is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    you can't go to Germany or France and boss the natives about and steal their resources like you used to in India
    With all due respect: I've never been to India, now kindly **** off :yy:

lots of other organisations Britain belongs to like the UN, NATO and ECHR are also not democratic according to leavers so why don't they say Britain should leave them as well?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Clue: EU is a customs union that's become way too big for its boots - contrast that with the other organisations you mention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    With all due respect: I've never been to India, now kindly **** off :yy:

Engage your brain and perhaps the answer will find you

Spoiler:
    Show
    Clue: EU is a customs union that's become way too big for its boots - contrast that with the other organisations you mention
    Indians won't let you in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Indians won't let you in
    That's not what she said :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Leavers seem to think the only way the EU is democratic is if Britain told every other country what to do.
    Going to the OP that started this thread, from my personal experiences in talking to people you are completely wrong.

People consider the EU project undemocratic: because it simply is. There's no getting around that.

And I have never come across a single argument where "Britain tells Europe what to do". It is a case of Britain not wanting to be dictated to, in how its societies are shaped and how its laws are governed.

So the premise of this thread is somewhat confusing, and dare I say, unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamora)
    I haven't heard any leaver say that, or anything like it.
    lol I didn't see this and just wrote something similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Leavers seem to think the only way the EU is democratic is if Britain told every other country what to do. Heads up Leavers, the EU is not a latter day British Empire, you can't go to Germany or France and boss the natives about and steal their resources like you used to in India.

This is a bit stupid since its never going to happen and lots of other organisations Britain belongs to like the UN, NATO and ECHR are also not democratic according to leavers so why don't they say Britain should leave them as well?
    The unfortunate reality is, the vast majority of these people have absolutely no idea in any way whatsoever how the EU works. It's a big game of Chinese whispers. Somebody said the EU is undemocratic, and millions of people keep repeating it without doing the slightest bit of research. A Facebook post or a Daily Mail comment is enough to convince most people that something is fact.

ReputationRep:
    Are you arguing that the EU is democratic then? Please then outline in broad strokes how you think it works, and I'll be here to correct you on unskew what you write not with opinions, but facts which I'll likely just source from the EU's own public and pasteable policies.

The fact is, the EU is fundamentally undemocratic, and I would be interested to hear your argument against this.

EDIT: and in the meantime I'll just leave this here for anybody who wants some quick reference notes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democr...European_Union

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael3C)
    Going to the OP that started this thread, from my personal experiences in talking to people you are completely wrong.

People consider the EU project undemocratic: because it simply is. There's no getting around that.

And I have never come across a single argument where "Britain tells Europe what to do". It is a case of Britain not wanting to be dictated to, in how its societies are shaped and how its laws are governed.

So the premise of this thread is somewhat confusing, and dare I say, unnecessary.
    Argumentum ad populum.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.