Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I meant devolving it to local level, probably council level.

Glad to see we're on the same page though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought it was already devolved to a council level, but if not I'm in favour of such an idea, it's good to agree on something again
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ThatDoesntTickle)
    I don't believe this bill is at all a wise move. Point 2.1.a, is the exclusively by the government? i.e no external funding is permitted? Point 2.1.e is completely ignorant to some academies who are also faith schools, who have criteria such as involvement in faith. I also think having a "one size fits all policy" isn't appropriate with young people's education as different schools, areas and pupils have different needs.
    I echo this.

Education is a tricky one tbh, i an skeptical about a centralised curriculum just as im skeptical of academies and devolved education.

My own vision for our education system is one that probably isnt shared by the majority of the house though, probably not even the majority of my party or the government.

My issue with locally devolved education is that it would be bad for some areas to offer a better curriculum than other areas, my issue with centralisation is that a "one size fits all policy" isnt best for our kids and my issue with a tripartite ssystem is that i dont believe that 11 years old is the right age to put children onto whats effectively their career path.

That being said I'd like to see a concoction of the three, taking the best bits from them all. This bill does none of that, offering the worst parts of a centralised system and little of anything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I echo this.

Education is a tricky one tbh, i an skeptical about a centralised curriculum just as im skeptical of academies and devolved education.

My own vision for our education system is one that probably isnt shared by the majority of the house though, probably not even the majority of my party or the government.

My issue with locally devolved education is that it would be bad for some areas to offer a better curriculum than other areas, my issue with centralisation is that a "one size fits all policy" isnt best for our kids and my issue with a tripartite ssystem is that i dont believe that 11 years old is the right age to put children onto whats effectively their career path.

That being said I'd like to see a concoction of the three, taking the best bits from them all. This bill does none of that, offering the worst parts of a centralised system and little of anything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats probably the only thing I agree with you on. It wouldn't be entirely fair.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    The french model seems good, and I think would be a non-artificial way to combat the price inflation of holiday makers and flight companies ect. which stop many families being able to go on holiday outside of term time as they simply can't afford the hiked up costs. My issue is allowing each individual school decide, and while lime-man didn't specifiy, that was the impression I got from his post, if that impression was wrong I apologise.
    Oh it seems you were right. Suffice to say I agree with you and not Lime-man.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    One of the few good things about academisation was getting rid of the National Curriculum and giving schools more freedom about what they teach. This bill would be a backwards step, it does exactly the opposite of what teachers are asking for.
    Hear, Hear!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh it seems you were right. Suffice to say I agree with you and not Lime-man.
    How can you agree with kay and not me when me and kay also agree with eachother on that point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How can you agree with kay and not me when me and kay also agree with eachother on that point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't agree on that point. I don’t think schools/local authorities should choose when to set holidays.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You don't agree on that point. I don’t think schools/local authorities should choose when to set holidays.
    That wasnt the point...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That wasnt the point...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes it was.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes it was.
    I think i know better than you tbh, but thats just me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.