Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Spurs really that good? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    So because they run around a bit more than they used to means that they're potentially making something great.

Here's the problem. If they get experience(which I don't even think they'll get because that costs money and Levy doesn't like to spend money he doesn't make back) then what happens to the career of this 'young' spurs team anyway?
    No. Because they're a better team than they've had in the last 30 years they're potentially onto something great.

It's all conjecture right now. Sure, we all expect United and Arsenal and City and Chelsea and even Liverpool to be stronger next year, but that remains to be seen.

Pochetinno has already been at Tottenham a year - they're a year ahead in their development.

ReputationRep:
    You're only as good as your last game.

Losing 5-1 to Newcastle, albeit having lost the title to Leicester already, showed Spurs' lack of mettle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    No. Because they're a better team than they've had in the last 30 years they're potentially onto something great.

It's all conjecture right now. Sure, we all expect United and Arsenal and City and Chelsea and even Liverpool to be stronger next year, but that remains to be seen.

Pochetinno has already been at Tottenham a year - they're a year ahead in their development.
    Look, Arsenal still came above them and will strengthen in the summer. Chelsea had their worst start to a season in premier league history, City have Pep Guardiola and 100s of millions of pounds, Chelsea have Conte and loads of money to spend too.

Matter of fact is, they are challenging with Liverpool and possibly Arsenal if they under perform(who will still come above Spurs), I have more faith in Klopp to do something than Pochettino. This ain't even mentioning the fact that Eriksen will probably be gone in a season's time at this rate.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They're a good side but lets be honest, they've really just benefited from having no injuries and everyone else being ****, like Liverpool a few years ago. A good team wouldn't have fallen apart towards the end of the season like that.

They'll be 6th again next season. Top 5 next year will be the old "big four" and City.

(Original post by sr90)
    They're a good side but lets be honest, they've really just benefited from having no injuries and everyone else being ****, like Liverpool a few years ago. A good team wouldn't have fallen apart towards the end of the season like that.

They'll be 6th again next season. Top 5 next year will be the old "big four" and City.
    This is exactly what i think , next season they'll be back to 6th
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Look, Arsenal still came above them and will strengthen in the summer. Chelsea had their worst start to a season in premier league history, City have Pep Guardiola and 100s of millions of pounds, Chelsea have Conte and loads of money to spend too.

Matter of fact is, they are challenging with Liverpool and possibly Arsenal if they under perform(who will still come above Spurs), I have more faith in Klopp to do something than Pochettino. This ain't even mentioning the fact that Eriksen will probably be gone in a season's time at this rate.
    I see what you're saying, but my POV is this: all the tools are there for Tottenham. They have top four, they have CL football, they have exciting emerging talent and a manager who many feel is destined for one of the continent's top jobs.

If they fail to get top four next season (which they very well may) they have themselves to blame because they have a sturdy foundation - and arguably are ahead of their rivals in terms of development and "vision".

ReputationRep:
    I see what you're saying, but my POV is this: all the tools are there for Tottenham. They have top four, they have CL football, they have exciting emerging talent and a manager who many feel is destined for one of the continent's top jobs.

If they fail to get top four next season (which they very well may) they have themselves to blame because they have a sturdy foundation - and arguably are ahead of their rivals in terms of development and "vision".
    What use is player development when the rivals are going to spend 100M ffs? Look at Borussia Dortmund 12/13 e.g. Bayern just spent loads on players like Dante/Martinez/Mandzukic/Shaqiri and Dortmund couldn't keep up despite this whole 'development and vision' rhetoric you're uttering, where Klopp supposedly is a master of doing that.

Are we saying that Mourinho, Pep, Conte, Klopp and Wenger don't have visions for the clubs they'll manage next season, or is it only when a weak team is doing better than the traditional big 4 + City clubs or a team plays a clearly distinct style of football that this rhetoric is spewed?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What use is player development when the rivals are going to spend 100M ffs? Look at Borussia Dortmund 12/13 e.g. Bayern just spent loads on players like Dante/Martinez/Mandzukic/Shaqiri and Dortmund couldn't keep up despite this whole 'development and vision' rhetoric you're uttering, where Klopp supposedly is a master of doing that.

Are we saying that Mourinho, Pep, Conte, Klopp and Wenger don't have visions for the clubs they'll manage next season, or is it only when a weak team is doing better than the traditional big 4 + City clubs or a team plays a clearly distinct style of football that this rhetoric is spewed?
    There's no guarantee £100m will be spent wisely, though. All the managers may have visions - but will they succeed? Pep is in unchartered territory, as is Conte, with both having big jobs to do. They may spend and spend, but there's no guarantee they'll succeed in bringing successful players in. By all accounts, around only 50% of transfers can be deemed successes - and that's from researchers who've spent 20 years analysing each and every deal made in the top flight.

Tottenham have a head start. That's what I'm saying.

Man United, Chelsea and even Man City may be in a state of transition next season. Only one team can win the league - and Leicester did this season. If Leicester are winning the title, then teams like Tottenham should be aiming to be. Otherwise, what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    There's no guarantee £100m will be spent wisely, though. All the managers may have visions - but will they succeed? Pep is in unchartered territory, as is Conte, with both having big jobs to do. They may spend and spend, but there's no guarantee they'll succeed in bringing successful players in. By all accounts, around only 50% of transfers can be deemed successes - and that's from researchers who've spent 20 years analysing each and every deal made in the top flight.
    How do you Pochettino's vision is a success? He has not done better than Redknapp or AVB have done in their better seasons for Spurs and really made 3rd due to an exploitation of a poor PL season. It's not even like Liverpool who had a very good season in the league.

Pep and Conte are unchartered territory? Well Conte's first league job at a failing team led to 3 titles. Pep may have had it easier at Barcelona but he developed that team(in an even better manner than Pochettino) who were falling in their standards, plus he has 100M+ to play with.

Tottenham have a head start. That's what I'm saying.

Man United, Chelsea and even Man City may be in a state of transition next season. Only one team can win the league - and Leicester did this season. If Leicester are winning the title, then teams like Tottenham should be aiming to be. Otherwise, what's the point?
    How do Spurs have a head start if they can't afford the same type of players that Chelsea, United, Arsenal and City can afford?

What transition does Chelsea need next season, I've explained many times that other than the new manager change, there are 2 areas that need to be addressed in the first 11 (a box to box midfielder and a centre back), the 3rd area is a backup striker, that's the type of signings you expect every season.

Just because Leicester won the title doesn't mean that Spurs will either, they missed their chance.

ReputationRep:
    In all the talk of Leicester's title success, it has been lost that Spurs should have put up a better challenge of the title race. They drew 10 plus games and dropped needless points and it showed the inexperience of the manager that he wasn't able to game manage the season well enough to convert some of those draws to wins but also not having sufficient squad depth. Although whether that was down to the coach or the chairman, not sure.

They will challenge for a top four place next year, definitely. But think a Champions League campaign will take it out of them with the way they train also.

But third season in charge for Pochettino, will be the ultimate assessment of his managerial future at the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Think Spurs are certainly a good side, but I do think their quality is being overplayed a bit. The team doesn't have any real standout players, not sure how many of their team a true top European side would be interested in. The point total this year despite the league challenge was only 70 points, and it was really a late surge and then faded out. Arsenal by comparison had a very unremarkable season and still bettered them.

Next season will be huge for them in terms of the pressure on Poch, their need to have players like Alli firing again, plus with their heavy work rate will be interesting to see how they coming off the back of a Euro.

Did see Poch as a potential fraud of a manager start of the season, but to his credit his team started produce even if the end of the season does reflect badly on him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How do you Pochettino's vision is a success? He has not done better than Redknapp or AVB have done in their better seasons for Spurs and really made 3rd due to an exploitation of a poor PL season. It's not even like Liverpool who had a very good season in the league.

Pep and Conte are unchartered territory? Well Conte's first league job at a failing team led to 3 titles. Pep may have had it easier at Barcelona but he developed that team(in an even better manner than Pochettino) who were falling in their standards, plus he has 100M+ to play with.

How do Spurs have a head start if they can't afford the same type of players that Chelsea, United, Arsenal and City can afford?

What transition does Chelsea need next season, I've explained many times that other than the new manager change, there are 2 areas that need to be addressed in the first 11 (a box to box midfielder and a centre back), the 3rd area is a backup striker, that's the type of signings you expect every season.

Just because Leicester won the title doesn't mean that Spurs will either, they missed their chance.
    Conte knew the league he was working in before, though. Sure, he and Guardiola are managers with fierce reputations - but that doesn't necessarily equip them for the PL.

After all, it's easy in theory. They can set the team up as they want - with the players they want - but that doesn't prepare you for a side like West Brom away, or players like Troy Deeney. We've seen that with Klopp and Liverpool - for every thumping of Dortmund, Chelsea, City, there's been a disappointing day at Watford, Southampton, even Newcastle.

I can actually see Conte having a head start and bigger impact than Pep, purely because you'd think (theoretically) he has more time currently to analyse players he wants and get affairs in order. Pep may find the intense schedule overwhelming, but Conte doesn't have the distraction of European football.

And I'm not saying Tottenham will win the league. I'm saying that - if Leicester can - it should be their aim to do so. All the teams in the top seven should be aiming for it, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    What often gets overlooked is how Spurs got crushed by Dortmund. 'Arry or AVB could very feasibly have won if they were in that position.

On another note, Everton have been bankrolled by a billionaire and will have De Boer/Pellegrini/Emery in charge with £80m to spend. Considering they were able to get 72 points with the same squad, an idiot in charge and naff all investment, I don't see why they couldn't get challenge Spurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    What often gets overlooked is how Spurs got crushed by Dortmund. 'Arry or AVB could very feasibly have won if they were in that position.

On another note, Everton have been bankrolled by a billionaire and will have De Boer/Pellegrini/Emery in charge with £80m to spend. Considering they were able to get 72 points with the same squad, an idiot in charge and naff all investment, I don't see why they couldn't get challenge Spurs.
    Good point. Especially with Everton and their investment.

Exciting times for the prem. People say that money in football is bad for the sport but it's now levelled the playing field.

ReputationRep:
    I think Poch to be sacked next season is a great shout. Can see them struggling next year. Even if they just drop to 60-65 next season they're going to end up 6th or 7th which will put him under huge pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriggy)
    I think Poch to be sacked next season is a great shout. Can see them struggling next year. Even if they just drop to 60-65 next season they're going to end up 6th or 7th which will put him under huge pressure.
    They'd have to get less than 60 for him to get sacked, and even then I see him getting another chance. Their squad will probably perform better and get more points, but I see the requirement for top 4 being around 75 points.

It's part of my issue with why fans saying Spurs have massively improved because they finished third. They could finish with 6-10 more points and end up fourth. Would people consider it regression?

Poch is a prized bottler. He'd throw a cup in a heartbeat, so the cups distracting from league performances shouldn't be a factor.

ReputationRep:
    yes and no.

yes since they have good players anda good manager. Kane is the best English striker now, and potnetially world class.

But they were overrarted/overhyped. when they played Arsenal at their place, they were average, and only looked like really scorin after Coquelin got sent off.

they won't get top four next year though. they will get outspent by arsenal, Chelsea, United and City, and the only striker as good as Kane (whom they will need as good depth) is beyond their price range. only when they get their new ground can they sign big.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They're playing their CL games at Wembley next season.

Good luck filling that, lads.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, they'll be back to where they normally are next season. This season was an anomaly with most the regular top 4 playing like shite.

ReputationRep:

Doubt they'll struggle much tbh. 90000, take away your 10000 away allocation and a good 10000 club Wembley seats leaves 70000. I reckon they'll fill it 90%+. One things for certain, Spurs will have a bigger turn out for European games next season than Liverpool will
    In answer to the question, no I dont think they are. Players like Alli are overhyped as ****, quality player, but the British media make out as though he's the best young player in the world (like sterling and Grealish were last season and look what happened there). Kane is class (albiet a partial pen fraud) but will leave when spurs buckle back down to the Europa Plate.
    As for the whole "young side foolish" narrative for the last 4 games, their defenders are all very experienced and were dreadful. The positioning by Lloris for the fifth was Sunday League standard. Absolute embarrassment. They make Arsenal look like they have the mentality of gods

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.