Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Apparently my GCSE's are undesirable of uni's, is it true? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Well you've said it yourself, they aren't the most 'academic'. However, loads of people don't know what they want to do when they choose their GCSEs and if you do well in them, as I've said, I doubt hold you back. Just choose the right A-Levels and apply to unis that play to your strengths.
    Ok thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Uni's care about GCSEs? Just pick the right A Levels and ace them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misspinkypoop)
    Whats wrong with BTEC and whats an EBacc got to do with medicine??
    Most my bredrin do BTECs, but they dumb as hell.

EBacc is like some performance measure not a qualification, but it shows that you got a good range of GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welkom)
    Uni's care about GCSEs? Just pick the right A Levels and ace them.
    Yea- some uni's consider them part of the application process to distinguish applicants

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks what about work experience and what A Levels do you suggest- so im thinking about Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English literature
    Many people find Physics quite difficult and unnecessary; unless you really like Physics, I'd suggest picking something else (either Maths if you're strong at it, or another traditional subject if you aren't).

It isn't useful for Medicine

ReputationRep:
    I'd work on your apostrophe placements before worrying about GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roadmanchasin£££)
    Most my bredrin do BTECs, but they dumb as hell.

EBacc is like some performance measure not a qualification, but it shows that you got a good range of GCSEs.
    Thanks didn't know that

ReputationRep:
    No i'm doing my GCSE's now and even if i wasn't the teachers picked "select students" to do triple science.
    It's really stupid that the system works like that. Students should be allowed to choose to do triple science if we think we can do it. You might be able to appeal to your teacher if you think you can manage triple science. I wish I'd tried harder because I know I could have aced triple science if I was allowed to try. In the end, I lost all motivation to even try with Science because of that.(I only got a B in Core and Additional)

ReputationRep:
    They are;
    Maths
    English-lit/lang
    Core/double science
    Re
    Business studies
    Health and social care
    Sociology
    French
    Universities really won't care about which subjects you do for GCSE - they just care, especially as you're planning to do medicine, what grades you get; try and get as many A*s as possible. Universities will really care about your choice of A level subjects, but as long as your GCSEs let you pick suitable A levels, it'll be fine. For example, one of my friends got four medicine offers, including one from Cambridge - and he did GCSE DT, which isn't exactly the most academic of subjects. Another friend is also going to Cambridge, for Natural Sciences, and he did a GCSE in a DT-like subject, and both did GCSE ICT. So essentially, your choice of GCSE subjects doesn't matter at all. Only the grades will matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlassyMarbles)
    I'd work on your apostrophe placements before worrying about GCSEs.
    Yea about that, i've been told before i need to improve. Trust me i'm very well aware about my eer grammar issue's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    Universities really won't care about which subjects you do for GCSE - they just care, especially as you're planning to do medicine, what grades you get; try and get as many A*s as possible. Universities will really care about your choice of A level subjects, but as long as your GCSEs let you pick suitable A levels, it'll be fine. For example, one of my friends got four medicine offers, including one from Cambridge - and he did GCSE DT, which isn't exactly the most academic of subjects. Another friend is also going to Cambridge, for Natural Sciences, and he did a GCSE in a DT-like subject, and both did GCSE ICT. So essentially, your choice of GCSE subjects doesn't matter at all. Only the grades will matter.
    Thank you for the advice, i'll try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    It's really stupid that the system works like that. Students should be allowed to choose to do triple science if we think we can do it. You might be able to appeal to your teacher if you think you can manage triple science. I wish I'd tried harder because I know I could have aced triple science if I was allowed to try. In the end, I lost all motivation to even try with Science because of that.(I only got a B in Core and Additional)
    Nope i tried too late now though

ReputationRep:
    Nope i tried too late now though. Hey a B is still good, What are you doing now though

ReputationRep:
    Business Studies is the 3rd most valuable GCSE you could get imo.(after English and Maths because they're the basics that everyone wants)
    Business Studies gives you the knowledge and mindset you need to work in an actual business and manage your own finances. It also gives you some of the knowledge you need to start your own business if you want to go that route, so you have better prospects than most uni students.

If you did well in French, then you're at least almost bilingual. Every employer and university loves being able to tick off that they've got bilingual employees/students, because then you can represent them in two different languages.
    That business studies stuff is bs. Gcse sciences are more useful than a2 business never mind gcse business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zXcodeXz)
    How are they undesirable the fact that you have 10GCSE should be appealing to universities
    I got into uni with 9.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by gwagon)
    I got into uni with 9.
    Exactly I can only get 9 aswell this year, so what university would reject someone with 10GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    I got into uni with 9.
    Really, what are you studying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zXcodeXz)
    Exactly I can only get 9 aswell this year, so what university would reject someone with 10GCSE's?
    They would be more worried about the grades than the number of GCSEs you took.

ReputationRep:
    Really, what are you studying
    Econ at UCL.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    They would be more worried about the grades than the number of GCSEs you took.
    Yeah that's so true

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.