Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, the jump is huge. But it's definitely manageable! You just have to make sure you revise from September and stay on top of everything. It's so important that you don't get behind in anything. Do your homework as soon as it's set, and make sure that you pre-read, especially for the sciences. Watch revision YouTube videos if you don't understand something, and ask your teacher. They'll be more than happy to stay behind with you after school or during one of your free periods to do some work with you, even early on in the year.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion the jump wasn't too bad. I work harder at AS than I did at GCSE but I enjoy my subjects more because I'm only doing ones I've chosen to do. Don't let people put you off by saying the jump is huge, I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BangzTheAssassin)
    I am a GCSE student and I want to know how hard is it to do the very best at A-level.
    Ill tell you the truth straight up. Its a massive jump. Everyone tells you it's a massive jump. I'm in my AS year and i just ignored it. The work you get is alot and i suggest you do Revision through out the year. Latest Jan/Feb. Right now i have to cram so much in short period of time. Just start early and don't think that just cause every one in your class is slacking you can aswell. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchampjchamp)
    I think it varies depending on your attitude. As someone who came out with good GCSEs despite doing hardly any work, the jump to A-Level was intense. I'd probably say around 4-5 times harder.
    Now I'm in sixth form my erections are 4-5 times harder.

ReputationRep:
    so wait are you saying that A-levels are 4x harder
    No s h i t Sherlock.

ReputationRep:
    Fu ck Physics. I had the same thoughts as you do.

A levels are hard as hell. It doesn't help if you don't enjoy your subjects though, like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snasher350)
    Now I'm in sixth form my erections are 4-5 times harder.
    stfu your erections are liked bruised bananas you vegan ****nugget

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what courses you take and how you deal with stress.

Like someone earlier said new subjects are obviously going to be harder. I didn't find the jump from GCSE to A Level too bad for the subjects I had already been doing (Biology, Maths and Chemistry in my case). I really think you need to like your subjects otherwise it's so hard to find the motivation to revise so chose your subjects well!

My brother got the A*/A's at GCSE without trying and assumed it was the same at A Level. In the summer my brother had, well, not done so well in his AS Levels. He didn't deal with that very well and never really tried any harder so he had to retake a lot throughout the two years. I'm younger than him so when it was my turn for A Levels I made sure I tried hard from the start and I got the grades I wanted without retaking (apart from Psychology, by two marks, not mad at all ).

Honestly, I think if you like your subjects, you're aware it's harder and you can't revise the night before you'll be fine. Don't panic yet and best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, really can't believe all of you saying that A Levels are difficult. They're trying to scare you!

A Levels were a walk in the park - even further maths, physics & chemistry! ...at least for me
    I did 5 a levels haha - 4 A*s and 1 A (Biology's a b***h!)

- Shahanne's older sister

ReputationRep:
    I am a GCSE student and I want to know how hard is it to do the very best at A-level.
    Hey, in all honesty at the start of the year it wont feel like much but you'll have more and more work poured onto throughout. If you pick subjects you're interested in and don't mind doing (or even enjoy) you'll be fine. The amount you have to learn is pretty hefty but as long as you learn as you go and don't cram everything on the day of your exam (like me) you'll be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBranicAc)
    You must be joking it can't be that hard.

Whats wrong with physics? I'm thinking of picking it
    Only people who don't revise fail. Please don't listen to this guy and not pick Physics.

ReputationRep:
    People will tell you it's quite a jump but you'll be fine...
    let me tell you, its not some small jump, its like trying to cross the grand canyon with one leap. And thats basically impossible (unless you're like superman or something). You will fall in 'the pit' and you will have to claw your way out. That's what its really like doing A-levels from GCSE. You will be fine, people make it out the other end, but I'm just saying its not just a jump. Avoid doing 4 subjects, unless your 4th is a subject that is still modular and you can drop at the end of y12 (don't torture yourself with 4). Also, physics is beyond hard. I do further maths and while that makes stuff like mechanics and other mathematical elements in physics easier, it is still by far my weakest A-level (I'm dropping it at the end of the year).

ReputationRep:
    its like going paint balling once then getting parachuting into Syria to fight isis

ReputationRep:
    Its as big as the jump I want to take off a cliff right now
    Nahhh
    Its not that bad if you put the work in because GCSE you're used to maybe revising 2 nights before but revising before an exam will get you nowhere now and it depends on the subject you do too
    You will here it a lot but you just need to put the work in
    Give it 100% and you'll get that back

ReputationRep:
    Be prepared to put in a LOT of work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glenis.k)
    People will tell you it's quite a jump but you'll be fine...
    let me tell you, its not some small jump, its like trying to cross the grand canyon with one leap. And thats basically impossible (unless you're like superman or something). You will fall in 'the pit' and you will have to claw your way out. That's what its really like doing A-levels from GCSE. You will be fine, people make it out the other end, but I'm just saying its not just a jump. Avoid doing 4 subjects, unless your 4th is a subject that is still modular and you can drop at the end of y12 (don't torture yourself with 4). Also, physics is beyond hard. I do further maths and while that makes stuff like mechanics and other mathematical elements in physics easier, it is still by far my weakest A-level (I'm dropping it at the end of the year).
    This is exactly what I'd describe A Levels being.
    It can put you in a slightly dark place if you feel like you can't cope with them and you wont be able to achieve your required grades for university.

However: keep on top of everything and you should be fine. Don't cram everything in last minute before the exam. You need to revise continuously throughout the year and you should be fine.

We aren't trying to scare you, A Levels are pretty hard. But you'll get through it.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore everyone who says they got this[*] many A's and A*'s and find a levels very difficult. I know many people from my college who got all A's and A*'s and are doing badly at A levels.
    However if you work hard from the beginning and keep up with work you will succeed ... (I only got 3A's and the rest B's at gcse) but I am now studying subjects I enjoy and find interesting and have constantly gotten A's across my subjects 👍

I'd say the jump is pretty high however, once you get going you'll get into the hang of it. Just keep at 5 hours of revision for each subject a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riyadhussain123)
    A levels is a nightmare compared to GCSE and because your doing GCSE atm, your A level subjects will probably be the new specification which is very hard compared to the old specs. If you constantly work hard during your 1st year and you have done most of the past papers and other exam qs you should be alright. Don't be like me and most students by leaving everything until the last minute because you will fail. P.S chemistry and physics will kill you
    Totally Agree with you! Physics and Chemistry are killers. The best way to get through A level is by knowing the content of the subject/syllabus and do lots of past papers to get used to the exam format. I suggest looking at past papers before you start your revision just to get ideas of what the examiners may ask you. If you do maths, visit maths solutions : a tutorial website which literally got me through AS.

ReputationRep:
    Art Alevel in september hahaha wish me luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR2016)
    Ill tell you the truth straight up. Its a massive jump. Everyone tells you it's a massive jump. I'm in my AS year and i just ignored it. The work you get is alot and i suggest you do Revision through out the year. Latest Jan/Feb. Right now i have to cram so much in short period of time. Just start early and don't think that just cause every one in your class is slacking you can aswell. Good luck
    That's such a good tip, about everyone else in your class slacking. Loads of people say they're doing nothing, when they're actually doing so much work.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.