Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Haven't Re-read Of Mice and Men for AQA English Literature! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PolarisVega)
    I read it sometime last year, and I've seen the film a couple of times. I know the plot and most key moments and I'm thinking I'll just memorise some important quotes and themes etc. Without having read the book recently do you think this will be sufficient? I'm very good at English generally and I'm a good writer- perceptive too. However I haven't done much/barley any lit practice. If I revise exam technique, key moments and quotes and themes etc. will it not matter that I haven't read the book recently? I would like at least an A in the paper tomorrow.
    ask your teacher if it's open book. I'm pretty sure it is because it's only GCSE, I don't think they're allowed to be evil enough and make it closed book at that level? We did OCR and it was open book. I only read it once lol you'll be fine.
    But then again OMAM was my weakest essay, but that's because of the bs extract we got. And me being an idiot I picked the extract q whereas it would have been smarter to pick the theme q because it was about violence (basically our controlled assessment)
    Oh well, I don't really care anymore stil got a really high A overall (OMAM stopped that A*)
    One thing I recommend though is to look through the dull chapters with not so much annotations... And try and come up with stuff for them. Because we got the most full extract from the whole book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RueXO)
    ask your teacher if it's open book. I'm pretty sure it is because it's only GCSE, I don't think they're allowed to be evil enough and make it closed book at that level? We did OCR and it was open book. I only read it once lol you'll be fine.
    But then again OMAM was my weakest essay, but that's because of the bs extract we got. And me being an idiot I picked the extract q whereas it would have been smarter to pick the theme q because it was about violence (basically our controlled assessment)
    Oh well, I don't really care anymore stil got a really high A overall (OMAM stopped that A*)
    One thing I recommend though is to look through the dull chapters with not so much annotations... And try and come up with stuff for them. Because we got the most full extract from the whole book
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    It is easy to get full marks in English Lit GCSE without even reading the book - just choose the unseen extract and analyse that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coreling)
    It is easy to get full marks in English Lit GCSE without even reading the book - just choose the unseen extract and analyse that.
    Its easy to get full marks? How exactly would I do that?

ReputationRep:
    Its easy to get full marks? How exactly would I do that?
    Does the syllabus still have the choice to opt for an unseen extract from OMAM? If so, always opt for the unseen extract - it almost completely eliminates the need for you to know what occurs in the rest of the book as 80-90% of your answer should focus on what is contained within the extract.

ReputationRep:
    When I did my GCSEs Of Mice and Men took me about 3 hours to read, Its a really short book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    When I did my GCSEs Of Mice and Men took me about 3 hours to read, Its a really short book.
    Do you think I should read it now? Or is there something else that would be a better use of my time? I could listen to the audiobook ?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I should read it now? Or is there something else that would be a better use of my time? I could listen to the audiobook ?
    I would read it if I were you. Then again, I didn't read it much before my exam and came out with an A*. Choice is yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    I would read it if I were you. Then again, I didn't read it much before my exam and came out with an A*. Choice is yours.
    How did you get the A*? What revision did you do? How exactly did you answer the questions? Sorry for all my questions I'm just very worried about the exam and this would really help to reassure me

ReputationRep:
    How did you get the A*? What revision did you do? How exactly did you answer the questions? Sorry for all my questions I'm just very worried about the exam and this would really help to reassure me
    I revised the day before and that was it lol. I just answered them by using everything the teacher taught us. This was 2 years ago so It may have been just an easy exam

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats the thing, my teacher basically only focused on language so Im quite in the blue with lit. Also, do you remember what kind of revision you did the day before?

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats the thing, my teacher basically only focused on language so Im quite in the blue with lit. Also, do you remember what kind of revision you did the day before?
    You're stressing too much ...just go watch MrBruff's OMAM analysis videos and just read/listen to the book once again. Also don't know if its just for my school but which ever grade I get higher in wether its English Lit or Lang gets doubled up ;p

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.