Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    Sorry to jump in, but do you mind me asking what points you'd put for Candy? (It's fine if you don't want to ) Just realised I haven't revised him properly, missed him off my character list :/

Edit: Sorry just saw the other comment aha, never mind
    Dw I'll just put it up here:

Candy is a marginalised character because of his age. He's only there because he has to be there. The only thing he has in his life is his dog, which the white, young men take away from him in the beginning (this could symbolise how the Great Depression seperated families as the fathers had to leave their families in order to send money back home, the white men symbolising the men in Wall Street). As soon as he feels a sense of futility, he jumps onto George and Lennie's American Dream in order to avoid the feeling of loneliness. This is ironic as all workers are actually lonely, yet they're afraid of the thought of being lonely.

Also, Mr.Bruff's videos on Candy mentioned how he's a moral compass. He makes it clear that Curley's Wife is unfair when she scares Crooks - also showing that Candy, a marginalised character, doesn't have the attitude of a typical, white, American man. So Steinbeck could actually be using Candy to voice his own opinions, as he makes it clear that the actions of other characters are unjust to the readers.

I hope this helps..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElaArslan)
    Dw I'll just put it up here:

Candy is a marginalised character because of his age. He's only there because he has to be there. The only thing he has in his life is his dog, which the white, young men take away from him in the beginning (this could symbolise how the Great Depression seperated families as the fathers had to leave their families in order to send money back home, the white men symbolising the men in Wall Street). As soon as he feels a sense of futility, he jumps onto George and Lennie's American Dream in order to avoid the feeling of loneliness. This is ironic as all workers are actually lonely, yet they're afraid of the thought of being lonely.

Also, Mr.Bruff's videos on Candy mentioned how he's a moral compass. He makes it clear that Curley's Wife is unfair when she scares Crooks - also showing that Candy, a marginalised character, doesn't have the attitude of a typical, white, American man. So Steinbeck could actually be using Candy to voice his own opinions, as he makes it clear that the actions of other characters are unjust to the readers.

I hope this helps..
    Wow, thanks, that's really in depth! I hope Candy comes up just so you get to use those points, haha! I'd never heard about him as a moral compass before, that's actually a really interesting concept :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    Wow, thanks, that's really in depth! I hope Candy comes up just so you get to use those points, haha! I'd never heard about him as a moral compass before, that's actually a really interesting concept :hmmm:
    I hope so!! Thank you though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.