Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    All nighters are never really ideal, obviously. You won't be able to think clearly or quickly when it comes to your exam, which could be detrimental to your grade.

However, sometimes (as in your case) it's more important to get all the knowledge you can rather than being able to think straight. If I haven't done much revision the night before an exam, I'll usually prioritise trying to learn as much as possible over sleeping. After all, being able to think quickly isn't going to be of much help if you don't have any knowledge to think about!

Ultimately, you'll have to decide for yourself what is most important for attaining a good grade.

Edit: If you're reading this rather than revising, you've already lost.

ReputationRep:
    I`m just skimming over it now because realistically there is very little you can do for English Lit in terms of revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L0st45)
    I'm doing the same as you. I've only revised Section A of the AQA Modern Texts exam tomorrow.

Planning on revising OMAM in the early hours of the morning... Man I hate Literature so much...
    I hate English so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1999__)
    I`m just skimming over it now because realistically there is very little you can do for English Lit in terms of revision.
    For English Lit, you should read over whatever book you're meant to be studying for it, so that when you need to grab a quote, you'll know where in the book to find it. The hardest part of that exam for me was finding quotes, if I recall correctly.(it was 4 years ago, and I have an awful long-term memory, so don't count on me recalling correctly xD)
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Honestly, a all nighter before a exam is a really **** idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    For English Lit, you should read over whatever book you're meant to be studying for it, so that when you need to grab a quote, you'll know where in the book to find it. The hardest part of that exam for me was finding quotes, if I recall correctly.(it was 4 years ago, and I have an awful long-term memory, so don't count on me recalling correctly xD)
    Yeah quotes are the main thing i am revising and i watched the movies to save time because i slept in lessons so never actually read the book. The good thing about English is you can pick a quote from the book and write paragraphs of ******** on it and get marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himtiaz)
    Opinions on this. I've done 0 revision!!!
    You will be drained and undoubtedly perform worse (even though you will think you can do it, listen to what I'm saying please). I would go to bed no later than 2am. Done that for mocks but never for real exams, and I was mentally and physically exhausted. Revise as much as you can but don't stay up all night.

Don't waste time on here and go revise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niv1234)
    I hate English so much
    English Literature is just abominable. Cannot wait for Friday, then English Literature will all be over for me...

ReputationRep:
    3 things
    1) You've made a huge mistake
    2) Revise as much as you can in these 2 hours before 22:30
    3) Get a good amount of sleep-aim for at least 6 hours. Your brain won't function if it's sleep deprived. Even if you know all the info, you'll struggle to recall in the morning. Set an alarm for 05:00. It gives you 6 hours with 30 mins leeway to actually fall asleep. Then, for the final 2 hours, do as much as you can.

ReputationRep:
    English Literature is just abominable. Cannot wait for Friday, then English Language will all be over for me...
    Your so luck, I am really jealous What about language?

ReputationRep:
    I actually do agree with those who say you shouldn't pull an all nighter tbh. I was half asleep for half my exams, and my grades suffered for it.(though my lack of sleep was due to migraines and the flu that I annoyingly had for the whole of exam season, not revision xD)
    I actually slept almost straight through one of my History exams. I woke up 10 minutes before the end, and had to quickly pump it out so that I'd at least get some kind of grade.(got an E in the end, because pumping out an entire paper in 10 minutes is impossible)

ReputationRep:
    Your so luck, I am really jealous What about language?
    Language exam is on 8 June for me (sorry I meant to put English Literature, not Language), but Literature is just a pet hate, I am literally burning EVERYTHING English Literature that has ever existed in my household when the exams are out the way! God it's going to feel soooooooooooooooooo good. >

ReputationRep:
    M8, just go revise now. I remember for my Sociology mock exam I had done 0 revision then from 6pm-2am I banged out loads of revision (mostly memorising) did 1 and a half past papers and ended up with an A, one mark off an A*.(I'm used to getting little sleep anyways)
    I don't need to tell you how badly you've screwed up but if I were you I'd much rather going into that exam with at least some knowledge rather than nothing all because 'I needed my sleep' lol.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend this, I did it once and fell asleep in the exam hall (oops). Luckily I finished. Get some sleep

ReputationRep:
    You've made a terrible mistake. What you can do is start revising NOW till 2am and then go to sleep with 5 hours for sleep. I wouldn't recommend less than 5 hours sleep. Otherwise you will feel tired as hell.

If your exam is in the afternoon, consider revising from now till 6am and then sleep.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Himtiaz)
    Opinions on this. I've done 0 revision!!!
    You need a decent couple hours of sleep though so don't stay up too long you can do some in the morning
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Honestly, a all nighter before a exam is a really **** idea.
    Very true

ReputationRep:
    Language exam is on 8 June for me (sorry I meant to put English Literature, not Language), but Literature is just a pet hate, I am literally burning EVERYTHING English Literature that has ever existed in my household when the exams are out the way! God it's going to feel soooooooooooooooooo good. >
    I know how you feel, don't worry I made a spelling mistake too I meant lucky not luck. Anyways good luck with everything
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If you're desperate.. maybe

I've got an exam tomorrow which I've done some work for, but would benefit from doing some work in the morning (sadly it is a 9:30 exam) and as it's my last one, I can afford to mess up my sleeping pattern for a day so I'll go to sleep at 10, wake up at 5 and do some work then. I think you need enough sleep to function, rather than to be a zombie in the exam.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, don't worry I made a spelling mistake too I meant lucky not luck. Anyways good luck with everything
    Thank you, I'll need it for Literature! I want an A grade so badly, but I keep attaining a B grade, it's my lowest graded subject, and the only subject I'm not securing an A grade in - so flipping annoying! Best of luck to you as well! Keep battling on - this Literature pain will be over soon!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.