Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9998)
    Will the UK leave the EU? What do you guys think? Seems like everyone I know is voting leave
    It's weird because most if not all young people around my age I know think we should stay but most older people I know think we should leave. Either way, it will be close, and as I'm not old enough to vote yet I am just interested to see what the public chooses and if it really effects anything.

I would vote remain, but even I think that Cameron is scare-mongering a little bit too much. If we leave, and nothing as drastic as he says happens, he is going to look stupid with all of these things he is saying currently, but I guess it would be the same vice versa. I just could never see myself on the same page politically to Farage.

ReputationRep:
    Will the UK leave the EU? What do you guys think? Seems like everyone I know is voting leave
    Anecdotal evidence isn't particularly reliable... though I still see supporters of Bernie Sanders online saying that 'everyone I know voted for Bernie so it's a scam!!!!'. But anyway, I think we'll vote to leave. I support staying in the EU, but the anti-immigration views, combined with claims that we spend trillions of pounds every second on the EU for no benefit etc. will probably prevail. Just as there were Labour supporters in the general election who simply didn't turn up to vote - leading to a Conservative victory - I think those who support remaining (especially as they're generally younger) simply won't turn out, while those who are passionate about leaving will. So I'm not optimistic about the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    ahaha according to what? online polls??

It is a Survation poll. I do not know how it was taken. Basically, there is one month November 2014 when Leave has a series of winning polls. Then December comes and Remain regains the lead.

It is the month where Cameron gets in a mess over paying £1.6Bn more to the EU because of a recalculation of the size of the economy. The government had been aware of this for over a year but inexplicably Cameron turned it into a "we will fight them on the beaches issue" before eventually paying up what they had agreed to pay all along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    Anecdotal evidence isn't particularly reliable... though I still see supporters of Bernie Sanders online saying that 'everyone I know voted for Bernie so it's a scam!!!!'. But anyway, I think we'll vote to leave. I support staying in the EU, but the anti-immigration views, combined with claims that we spend trillions of pounds every second on the EU for no benefit etc. will probably prevail. Just as there were Labour supporters in the general election who simply didn't turn up to vote - leading to a Conservative victory - I think those who support remaining (especially as they're generally younger) simply won't turn out, while those who are passionate about leaving will. So I'm not optimistic about the outcome.
    true true

ReputationRep:
    The polls are about even. While I support leave, I think people are too scared by project fear to do what they ought to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 90% sure that i will vote to leave however from the moment the referendum was first divised i've never doubted that the British people would vote to stay given how adverse to significant change the electorate is. Current polling evidence would suggest i was correct.

ReputationRep:
    Remain will win its not as close as some people make it out the question is by how much will remain win.

I'm voting leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Remain will win its not as close as some people make it out the question is by how much will remain win.

I'm voting leave

Various newspapers are reporting about attacks on Cameron after the result but Cameron's position will be a doddle compared with those in charge of the Leave campaign.

Politicians are keeping quiet now, but the knives will be out as soon as the results are in. This won't be seen as an honourable fight against overwhelming odds; Tobruk or Rorkes Drift, if you will. Unless Leave massively improves, this will be seen as a shambles, Kut or the Crimea.

One can already start to see the mistakes.

The "beauty contest" to be the official Leave organisation created a "primary" that meant that the campaigns were trying to persuade the Electoral Commission rather than the voters. That meant that no pressure was put on government to release funds before the campaign start.

The loss in that beauty contest has meant that UKIP's organisation resources have largely been unavailable to the official Leave campaign, which is all the more reason why Leave needed money and time to put boots on the ground.

Leave appears to have no campaign organisational staff which means there is no "line for the day" for the campaign. Each politician is doing his own thing.

There is no research department so that each politician comes out with whatever nonsense he has himself come up with or which has been peddled for years by swivel-eyed loons speaking to a vacuum. The might of the government's and parties' research apparatus then shoots it down. The EU is not going to eat babies, but an organisation whose auditors consistently refuse to sign off its books has genuine skeletons in its cupboard.

Following on from that, there is no vision for the future. What is going to get better, what is going to get worse ("well, everything your heart desires will get better" won't cut the mustard) and how is the circle of tariff-free European trade with control on immigration going to be squared. Again "we will negotiate" isn't good enough; "and your opening position is"....what?

Campaigning on immigration scares floating voters. How many racists and people for whom immigration is the key issue were going to vote Remain? They could be taken for granted.

ReputationRep:
    I expect Remain to win, and I do not expect that Britain will leave the EU until it is the policy of the governing party.

ReputationRep:
    55-45 win for remain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think remain will win. Polls and bookies have them confidently ahead and the governments propaganda machine although embarrassingly easy to see through for people with a semi functioning brain will be effective for many votes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    People that seem confident we'll leave are clearly not aware of the whole thing.

I'm pretty sure we'll end up staying ~ and I seriously hope we do, don't wanna get ****ed over like we will if we leave...
    You are like a woman trapped in an abusive relationship. The EU rapes and beats you, is a threat to your kids but you fear leaving him. What will he do to me? Where will me and my kids live? How will i cope?

I mean heck Juncker keep tellings us we will be punished for leaving the EU. LMAO - Its like an abusive husband telling you he will kill you if you leave him or go to the police
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...s-eus-juncker/

Unless you are very wealthy or have a job or family that directly benefits from EU movement, you need to be voting Leave

ReputationRep:
    Fingers Crossed!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    You are like a woman trapped in an abusive relationship. The EU rapes and beats you, is a threat to your kids but you fear leaving him. What will he do to me? Where will me and my kids live? How will i cope?

I mean heck Juncker keep tellings us we will be punished for leaving the EU. LMAO - Its like an abusive husband telling you he will kill you if you leave him or go to the police

Unless you are very wealthy or have a job or family that directly benefits from EU movement, you need to be voting Leave
    Do you really believe that we're safer in the hands of our own government? I don't trust them.

ReputationRep:
    Remain will win, there was never any doubt. 65-35, but I think it could it be 70-30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Do you really believe that we're safer in the hands of our own government? I don't trust them.
    Our government are crap.. but we can change that every 5 years. We can directly vote them out.. riot in the streets...strike... petition them... write to your MP

There is absoloutely zero recourse for policies dictated by the EU. Zero.

People say the tories are worse than the EU and my response is you have no idea who or what polcies will come out of the EU in the future and more importantly you wont be able to oppose them or stop them.

Look at how many disgusting policies the tories have tried to make but then reneged on after a UK public back lash.. you cannot do that with the EU

ReputationRep:
    we will stay, and for the better

ReputationRep:
    I think many people who aren't enthused by the EU will not vote, believing that someone else will vote to keep us in the EU. I do think turnout will be higher among those who wish to Leave as polls have shown that these people are far more likely to vote. I foresee a narrow remain win though, because I don't believe the majority of 'Don't Know' voters will vote Leave. When push comes to shove I believe these people will vote to stay because of fear of the unknown.

ReputationRep:
    ITT: hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    I will be voting Leave as I don't believe the EU can be reformed from within. If the EU was purely a trade bloc like NAFTA I would support it but isn't and I think we need to Vote Leave and Take Control.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.