Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you want Turkey to join the EU? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Turkey to join the EU?
    I want Turkey to join the EU
    13.27%
    I do not want Turkey to join the EU
    86.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael3C)
    The arrogance to randomly assume I haven't researched anything. Why are you so touchy on this subject?

Does the EU want Turkey to be a part of the EU?
    Has Cameron pushed for Turkey to be part of the EU?
    Is Turkish already lined up to be an official language of the EU?

The answer to all is yes, yet here you are (whoever you are), saying it isn't going to happen. I remember when people said the same things you are spouting about Poland joining. About Romania. About Bulgaria....

Look at history, look at the current climate and the above facts and then look at yourself.
    Give us a date, by which time Turkey will have joined the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I can give you dates of which Cameron has publicly stated he wants Turkey in the EU, however not being a mind reader, I cannot answer your arbitrary question.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I can give you dates of which Cameron has publicly stated he wants Turkey in the EU, however not being a mind reader, I cannot answer your arbitrary question.
    Missing the point as usual, which is it takes a lot more than Cameron saying anything. It would take the other 27 members to agree including Greece and Cyprus and it would also mean Turkey was able to reach agreements and standards on 35 areas.

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't missed any point, it was a daft question as random as asking me to predict what the date would be for the last ever episode of Eastenders. Worded by somebody asking me to explain to "us" the answer. Who is "us", does he have a mouse in his pocket or does he mean you?

Remember when the Dutch veto'd Albania despite the EU commision wanting Albania in the EU? The EU commission is currently putting a lot of money, government assistance efforts (more money) and technical advice efforts (more money) into Albania to help it "reach its targets" to make what they want happen. To think the same thing wouldn't happen with Turkey is ludicrous considering this is happening right now with Albania, and the EU commision is vocally keen on Turkey joining.

But yeah, talk of Veto's and all that.

And by the way, the likes of you and I, we pretty much have zero say on the matter of who joins and who doesn't. Democracy eh!

ReputationRep:
    "But yeah, talk of Veto's and all that."

Has Albania joined yet?

And the last part is the biggest joke ever. You think you have any say on what Cameron does, or any PM for that matter? Oh but we can choose not to elect him again :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Turkey doesn't actually want to join the EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    "But yeah, talk of Veto's and all that."

Has Albania joined yet?
    You've missed the point. They are being paid to get there by the EU, currently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K2G)
    Turkey doesn't actually want to join the EU?
    Although happy to take money from the EU (as they have done) they are playing hard ball on certain aspects by expressing a desire to keep some of their traits the same. In my personal opinion, Turkey will be asking for more money next year.

ReputationRep:
    You've missed the point. They are being paid to get there by the EU, currently.
    Did I really miss the point? Were you not complaining about vetos being useless and yet the veto stopped Albania from joining?

What the EU is doing to help Albania is completely irrelevant to that.

ReputationRep:
    Although happy to take money from the EU (as they have done) they are playing hard ball on certain aspects by expressing a desire to keep some of their traits the same. In my personal opinion, Turkey will be asking for more money next year.
    Firstly, we're not asking for the money. EU is offering it because of the refugee crisis. In case you didn't know, the money being paid to Turkey is so that we keep the refugees in Turkey, don't let them out to Europe. So before you try saying we are asking for money and that we will be asking for more (of course we will, do you think it's easy to handle 2m+ refugees?) Go and watch some news.

ReputationRep:
    And the last part is the biggest joke ever. You think you have any say on what Cameron does, or any PM for that matter? Oh but we can choose not to elect him again :rolleyes:
    Putting a set of rolly eyes after your post doesn't make it have more merit.

Yes, we can choose not to elect somebody. Full stop.

ReputationRep:
    Did I really miss the point? Were you not complaining about vetos being useless and yet the veto stopped Albania from joining?

At least someone knows what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:

Yes you have missed the point. because they haven't been stopped in the traditional sense of the word. Their candidacy is still open, the actual terminology used by the EU itself is that their application is "halted", and the EU is currently putting a lot of time, resources and money into making their wishes a reality.

ReputationRep:
    Putting a set of rolly eyes after your post doesn't make it have more merit.

Yes, we can choose not to elect somebody. Full stop.
    Is that what you think the smiley was for?

And that makes up for you not having a say in anything any PM ever does?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you have missed the point. because they haven't been stopped in the traditional sense of the word. Their candidacy is still open, the actual terminology used by the EU itself is that their application is "halted", and the EU is currently putting a lot of time, resources and money into making their wishes a reality.
    Is a veto supposed to stop the entire application process, forever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K2G)
    Firstly, we're not asking for the money.
    https://euobserver.com/migration/131952

ReputationRep:
    Is a veto supposed to stop the entire application process, forever?
    Is it meant to prolong the inevitable at great fiscal cost?

ReputationRep:
    I would rather have Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you've got the wrong point again. We're not asking for money to help our country. We're asking for extra money for the refugees that Europe wants us to keep in Turkey. Do you actually think 3bn is enough for 2m+ people? Come on, some common sense.

ReputationRep:
    I said the Turkey would be asking for money from the EU.

You said they don't

I cited evidence Turkey does.

You do a U turn and admit they do but change the direction of conversation.

And I've got the wrong point?

Back on point (or what's left of it) if you're saying Turkey doesn't want to become a member of the EU, why have they for well over a decade, wanted to enter, and actually enter, into the negotiations? This conversation is pointless, it will have no merit and will quickly be exposed as a fallacy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.