Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shouldn't only people of UK heritage be able to vote in the eu referendum? Watch

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by magicelephant)
    trying to twist my words. theres a study where the indigenous people of britain actually sure almost idenitcal dna. there is a clear distinction between someone who has lived in britain for 500 years and some polish skank who got in through the eu whos able to vote on britains future
    Not trying to twist your words at all, but greater clairifiation would be helpful as you seem to talk about indigineous people, but really the population of the UK has been built up over time. You said 1000 years which would place us back in Anglo Saxon times, but they werent indigenous. The Queen isnt indigenous by your definition as they are really German.

You talk delightfully about Polish skank, but Poles arent able to vote?

ReputationRep:
    trying to twist my words. theres a study where the indigenous people of britain actually sure almost idenitcal dna. there is a clear distinction between someone who has lived in britain for 500 years and some polish skank who got in through the eu whos able to vote on britains future
    If you weren't so thick you'd know that Poles can't vote in the referendum and our historical links to Cyprus and Malta go well beyond the EU.

I also know a few Poles who can write correctly in English, unlike you.

ReputationRep:
    well if u really wanna be a ****, the queen wont be able to vote anyway.

polish skanks who have uk citizenship and have no allegiance for britain will have the right to vote.

anglo saxons can vote, anyone whos family has been in britain for several hundreds of years can stay now **** off
    Anglo-Saxons aren't indigenous to this island.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    If you weren't so thick you'd know that Poles can't vote in the referendum and our historical links to Cyprus and Malta go well beyond the EU.

I also know a few Poles who can write correctly in English, unlike you.
    um,... poles with uk citizenship can vote in the referendum

what ****ing relevance has our links with cyprus and malta got to do wit anything lmao?

ReputationRep:
    um,... poles with uk citizenship can vote in the referendum

what ****ing relevance has our links with cyprus and malta got to do wit anything lmao?
    Yeah, the fact that they're a UK citizen means they have the same rights as any other UK citizen. It's known as dual nationality.

I also was referring to non-indigenous people who are entitled to vote despite not being UK citizens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How do you know they dont feel allegiance? If they get citizenship and are resident, then they can vote. You might wish to complain to your MP or the government.

What do you mean by new immigrants and indigineous people?

Last 5 years, last 10 or just brown people? Most of the UK population came from somewhere else. You mean the Ancient Britons?
    I'd wager he has no idea what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    indigenous Lol, you mean the celts ? who were in britain and europe, mainly spain/france
    well the Celt that lived in the were Iceni,Demetae and Dumnonii. Not to mention the celts that lived in Europe, who were fighting those german ****ers. since the celts were pushed to scotland, i think only scotish people, with red hair should vote on the EU referendum, since theyre the only indigenous people about.

So much in history can put forward a claim for non-indigenous people to vote for the EU. such as the fact that while britain sat on its fat arse and waited years, the UUSR and eastern europe took on the nazis and could have easily won without us, since we waited so late... but you know D-day was nice. we also gave poland and eastern europe to the USSR, when we claimed we were fighting for them, but instead betrayed the 1000's of polish soliders and RAF pilots and gave poland to the USSR. that being said i do think only british people should vote on it, after all its use who will live with it , our generation that will have to live with it, not the old ****ers who want to leave/stay.

Also EU migrants Can't vote .. apart from Ireland, Malta and Cyprus .. we took over ireland for a while, malta belongs to us i think or did for years. Cyrus has a base on it and i think we owned it for some time. All in all, indigenous lol GTFO here, And no they cant vote anyways, for good reason, apart from the parts of the EU, we used to own, recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    indigenous Lol, you mean the celts ? who were in britain and europe, mainly spain/france
    well the Celt that lived in the were Iceni,Demetae and Dumnonii. Not to mention the celts that lived in Europe, who were fighting those german ****ers. since the celts were pushed to scotland, i think only scotish people, with red hair should vote on the EU referendum, since theyre the only indigenous people about.
    Exactly, here's me thinking that Gaul, Galicia and Gaelic all sound similar by coincidence.

Ironically the Bretons are probably more ethnically British than a lot of English people. And they're officially French.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    No. **** off
    This.

ReputationRep:
    No. **** off
    What original Anonymous said.

ReputationRep:
    surely it should only be the indigenous population of britain who decide whether or not to stay in the EU?
    Personally, I think they should let the descendants of Anglo-Saxons vote as well.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Anglo-Saxons aren't indigenous to this island.
    I did know that, but at some stage someone becomes indigenous and he was swaying between 500 and 1000 years.

Im ok with UK passport holders resident here and the cut off point of 15 years.

Not so sure about Commonwelath though,
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Personally, I think they should let the descendants of Anglo-Saxons vote as well.
    His point was indigenous, so people were just trying to decide what the indigenous population of the UK meant? It cant really be Anglo Saxons and has to be earlier.
    It just means hardly anyone would be allowed to vote in the referendum, probably the OP as well.

ReputationRep:
    So that would rule out the US born grandson of a Turk, Boris Johnson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    His point was indigenous, so people were just trying to decide what the indigenous population of the UK meant? It cant really be Anglo Saxons and has to be earlier.
    It just means hardly anyone would be allowed to vote in the referendum, probably the OP as well.
    Which was why I was making the facetious comment about letting Anglo-Saxons vote.

ReputationRep:
    No. **** off
    PRSOM. Interesting. I wonder if I can work out who you are...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Which was why I was making the facetious comment about letting Anglo-Saxons vote.
    Yep I think we all got that except for the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Surely all the new immigrants who have gained citizenship will just vote to remain in the EU. surely it should only be the indigenous population of britain who decide whether or not to stay in the EU?
    Everyone who is going to vote to stay should be allowed a vote IMO. lol
    Including 16&17 yr olds. I was shortchanged and I can't vote because I'm only 17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    So that would rule out the US born grandson of a Turk, Boris Johnson.
    Dual citizenship though

ReputationRep:
    You are aware the british isles entire history is of being conquered by or conquering other nations, any definition of UK heritage is going to be arbitrary at best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.