What is a reason for staying in the Eu? Watch

The gains kinggg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Er, what?

No, I wouldn't want to move to Bulgaria, Greece or Portugal. If I were to move to another EU country it'd probably be somewhere like France, Denmark or Sweden.

What point are you trying to make? Do you think that the UK is the greatest country in the EU and that everyone else is below us? In terms of the minimum wage and general standards of living Denmark and Sweden are far ahead of us.
nope.

Awful schools awful roads awful infrastructure
Libtardian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In a way I hope we vote to stay so the selfishness of the Remainians can be rewarded with pain and suffering.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Er, what?

No, I wouldn't want to move to Bulgaria, Greece or Portugal. If I were to move to another EU country it'd probably be somewhere like France, Denmark or Sweden.

What point are you trying to make? Do you think that the UK is the greatest country in the EU and that everyone else is below us? In terms of the minimum wage and general standards of living Denmark and Sweden are far ahead of us.
You mean two countries without !minimum wages have higher minimum wages than us? Interesting.

How about going somewhere with a £20-50 minimum wage, first boat there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Michael3C
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
And the ability for nearly half a billion to do the same here? If you want to go to Bulgaria for 98p per hour be my guest, or even £2.60 in Greece or Portugal.
It's a good point which nobody from the remain camp ever really defends.

Yes it is a two way street in principle.

But look at the migration figures from Eastern Europe to the UK and then look at the same in reverse, it is staggering.

It's like if we could play each others video games and the UK offered up a PS4 and Romania, for example, said we could use their Game Gear. In practice, not exactly a good trade off.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Michael3C)
It's a good point which nobody from the remain camp ever really defends.

Yes it is a two way street in principle.

But look at the migration figures from Eastern Europe to the UK and then look at the same in reverse, it is staggering.

It's like if we could play each others video games and the UK offered up a PS4 and Romania, for example, said we could use their Game Gear. In practice, not exactly a good trade off.
Hmmm, yes, 100,000 net migration per year, I suppose that is pretty good if you're a business trying to keep down your wage bill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
Because I'd rather not leave worker rights and protections in the hands of Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage.
Worker rights are the worst they have ever been. Just ask the people on zero hour contracts. Ask the trade unions whose hands are tied and who the government want to get rid of entirely.

Do you really think the EU cares about UK workers' rights which have got progressively worse since we joined the EU.

Workers rights and Tory Government is not a good mix anyway regardless of the EU.
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd say some of the benefits are:

1) Freedom of movement. Being able to work and live anywhere in Europe. Ok, so I might not be too keen on some EU states (yet) but others are very attractive.

2) Cheap holidays - I can fly cheaply because of the EU, borders are easy to cross with my UK passport and I don't need a visa. When I go on holiday in the EU, I can use my European Health Insurance if I need to.

3) Cheaper roaming charges for when I'm on my travels.

4) Consumer protection. A two year guarantee on products. And if I am treated unfairly and disagree with what the business has said, it's now easier to complain to an impartial body without going to court. The EU's ADR directive has ensured greater access to out of court schemes. Now the UK already had some of these - but the EU has increased the number and made the existing ones more efficient.

5) Workers rights. Like equal pay and rights for pregnant workers.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In short

1: Access to the worlds biggest single market. If you want Britain to be more competive outside fine but that means slashing workers rights and consumers protection not to mention s good deal of environmental safeguards.

2: The reason why people suddenly want to leave the EU is that they are using it as a scapegoat to blame the problems of globalisation on particularly te financial crash which originated in the U.S, the world and particularly Europe is tied together in ways which make true sovereignty impossible. Retreating to the nation state will further exacerbate problems- particularly as it will give more powers to the corporates overall. Yanis Varoufakis details this superbly on his recent book- which is critical of the EU but shows that it is very much needed.

3: The EU is the worlds biggest and most successful peace projects. It is economic suicide for one member state to attack another and has turned the bitterest of enemies into steadfast allies.

4: the EU is capable of reform- as the brexiters are quite fond of saying the EU has changed a great deal. I believe this change to be a good thing and far better to base our common European heritage on than an outdated system of sovereignty which is reliant upon the U.S. As our custodial guardians.

5: all the bad decisions this country has made have been the fault of our elected governments.

6; on the ECHR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptfmAY6M6aA

http://www.worldsecuritynetwork.com/...European-Union

In fact, come to think of it I can't think of any good reason why we ought to leave.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
I'd say some of the benefits are:

1) Freedom of movement. Being able to work and live anywhere in Europe. Ok, so I might not be too keen on some EU states (yet) but others are very attractive.

2) Cheap holidays - I can fly cheaply because of the EU, borders are easy to cross with my UK passport and I don't need a visa. When I go on holiday in the EU, I can use my European Health Insurance if I need to.

3) Cheaper roaming charges for when I'm on my travels.

4) Consumer protection. A two year guarantee on products. And if I am treated unfairly and disagree with what the business has said, it's now easier to complain to an impartial body without going to court. The EU's ADR directive has ensured greater access to out of court schemes. Now the UK already had some of these - but the EU has increased the number and made the existing ones more efficient.

5) Workers rights. Like equal pay and rights for pregnant workers.
So you want to stay for things you don't need to stay for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So you want to stay for things you don't need to stay for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Such as?
lolatmaths
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
honestly cannot wait till after the referendum so the brexit idiots can shut their mouths. Theyll forever complain but its all just a lost cause.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lolatmaths)
honestly cannot wait till after the referendum so the brexit idiots can shut their mouths. Theyll forever complain but its all just a lost cause.
Seeing their disappointment and anger will be very amusing. No doubt they'll claim it was a massive 'establishment' stitch up. Their victim mentalities will reach new levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh it will be a real laugh then most of these nutters complain about "fixes" and such.
BirdIsWord
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Literally no reason to stay in.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
nigel Farage now wants to bully people into leaving the EU

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...le-bus-8041910
typonaut
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nutz99)
The EU trade figures put about by the remain brigade are total lies. They class everything that goes through Rotterdam as a EU export but a lot of it goes via Rotterdam en route to countries outside the EU.
Can you provide some references that prove this point?

Leaving the EU could be terrible....for the rest of the EU. They need us a hell of a lot more than we need them. Look at what Norway have achieved outside the EU....with a €50 billion trade surplus with the EU. Terrible isn't it!
Norway is part of the single market, has free movement of people and is answerable to the EU via the EFTA Court. Oh, and it pays into the EU to have access to the single market and has no say in how legislation in the EU is developed. Norway also has a small population and large oil reserves.
typonaut
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How about going somewhere with a £20-50 minimum wage, first boat there?
I think the general point you are missing is that minimum wages are related o the cost of living in those economies. If a Romanian comes to the UK he can't commute back every day, so his real wealth is measured against what it costs to live in the UK.
jojo456
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
@ the "no reason to stay in" retards. http://www.economicsonline.co.uk/Glo...ing_blocs.html
typonaut
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nutz99)
Worker rights are the worst they have ever been. Just ask the people on zero hour contracts. Ask the trade unions whose hands are tied and who the government want to get rid of entirely.

Do you really think the EU cares about UK workers' rights which have got progressively worse since we joined the EU.

Workers rights and Tory Government is not a good mix anyway regardless of the EU.
This is absolute nonsense - workers rights have been progressively strengthened since the UK joined the EU. In many cases directly through EU legislation. Take for example the Working Time Directive, which amongst other things gave all UK workers the right to four weeks annual holiday. The UK tried to avoid this for temporary workers, by putting in place a 13 week qualifying period - this was found to be illegal under EU law, and now temp workers qualify for pro rata holiday pay from day one of their contracts.

That is just one example, there are many many more.

Zero hours contracts are an issue for national governments to sort out.
typonaut
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the main reason to stay is economic stability across the member states. This is well worth putting time, effort and money into. David Cameron overstated the case with his "war" scenario, but economically unstable states close to our borders present economic risks to the UK.

You can argue that there are economic issues in the EU, and in the eurozone, but these would be far worse without the EU and without the euro. Even the Greeks, who are arguably in the worst position, have voted to remain in the euro. The alternative, to them, is far, far worse.

If we are not in the EU we cannot help shape the nature of our surroundings.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%