Turn on thread page Beta

Who's the best Manager next season ?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    There's no point having a sensible discussion with someone who seeks pleasure from and tries to justify his triggering behaviour

ReputationRep:
    Going by the season just passed, Wenger shouldn't be anywhere near the top. A three way fight between Pep, Jose and Klopp seems the safest bet for next season, with Ranieri, Koeman and Bilic jostling for the final CL spot.
    "Maybe" Conte could make it a four-way title race resulting in one or all of Ranieri, Koeman and Bilic getting just Europa
    Honestly Chelsea have had one bad season and they have no europe to distract them, I don't see what Liverpool have under Klopp that's any better than Chelsea anyway. Neither do I see how Mourinho is suddenly going to magically sort out United's problems considering United were playing like Chelsea were the first half of the season but with a better defence, or Pep sorting out City's ageing squad and getting the new players to gel so quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Honestly Chelsea have had one bad season and they have no europe to distract them, I don't see what Liverpool have under Klopp that's any better than Chelsea anyway. Neither do I see how Mourinho is suddenly going to magically sort out United's problems considering United were playing like Chelsea were the first half of the season but with a better defence, or Pep sorting out City's ageing squad and getting the new players to gel so quickly.
    Mourinho with a good window would be enough for Man Utd to get 80+ points. I think Ibra and James would be enough to sort out United's attacking issues and defensively they're pretty sound.

I see Pep gradually bringing in younger players, as opposed to a drastic shift in the average age of the squad. He'll replace Yaya and a couple of others, but I don't see major changes their either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Mourinho with a good window would be enough for Man Utd to get 80+ points. I think Ibra and James would be enough to sort out United's attacking issues and defensively they're pretty sound.

I see Pep gradually bringing in younger players, as opposed to a drastic shift in the average age of the squad. He'll replace Yaya and a couple of others, but I don't see major changes their either.
    They still need a centre back instead of blind, unless they want to use Fosu-Mensah there.

I think City are looking to buy Gundogan and probably will get their man, they still need a fullback as none of the fullbacks are really suitable for Guardiola's style which requires a lot of energy and ability to play multiple roles. Coming to think of it, City probably have the best chance of winning the title, as despite their issues they are probably easy to sort, I think Chelsea are 2nd most likely with no european football and United 3rd most likely to win the title.

The selection of managers is ridiculous though. Especially if Emery were to take charge of Everton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    They still need a centre back instead of blind, unless they want to use Fosu-Mensah there.
    I mentioned in another thread that they'll line-up with Fosu-Mensah, Stones, Smalling, Shaw next season.

I think City are looking to buy Gundogan and probably will get their man, they still need a fullback as none of the fullbacks are really suitable for Guardiola's style which requires a lot of energy and ability to play multiple roles. Coming to think of it, City probably have the best chance of winning the title, as despite their issues they are probably easy to sort, I think Chelsea are 2nd most likely with no european football and United 3rd most likely to win the title.
    Yeah, I just thought it would be a top centre mid, a centre back and a pair of full backs they'd need Everywhere else wouldn't be too bad. If worse comes to worse Kolarov and work around his issues with Sterling tracking back and forward a lot.

I agree that in terms of winning the league it'd be Citeh, Chelsea, Man Utd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Ok fine. I ddint think i was being illogical its an interesting question of what people mean by best manager.

Just to illustrate this the League Managers Association awards are linked below and their view of best manager isnt always the one who wins the league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League...ciation_Awards
    Yet, you argued that Ranieri was the best this year because he won the league.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's easy to look good when you play defensive, possession based tactics with 2 holding midfielders in front of you and the best GK in world football behind you. When a team has actually had a go at us (Arsenal away, Wolfsburg away, Spurs away, West Ham away) we've fallen apart completely. We're dreadful at set pieces and De Gea has won us 10-15pts on his own.

I just want to get through next season without a defensive injury crisis, we've had one every season since 2009. We've used 10 full backs this season for gods sake - Shaw, Darmian, Valencia, Varela, Love, McNair, Borthwick Jackson, Rojo, Blind, Young - half the clubs in the PL don't even have 10 defenders.

I don't worry about our defence with Mourinho there though. He'll sign a proper CB (Been strongly linked with Manolas) and that'll be that. Schneiderlin will be his Matic.

ReputationRep:
    Fancy Spurs to get CL footy next year instead of Arsenal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Class One: Mourinho, Ancelotti
    Class Two: Klopp, Simeone, Benitez

Then there's a pack that includes the likes of Allegri, Poch, Emery, Guardiola, Wenger, Conte, Ranieri, Koeman, Enrique, Blanc etc

It is hard to say Manager X is better than Manager Y because it depends on the team in question. Guardiola has one style, and it works with world class GOAT talent, but I think he would fail in most other teams.

Mou is the most versatile.

ReputationRep:
    Ancelotti over Simeone when Simeone has got an non duopoly team regularly challenging for league and CL titles just lol.

Conte not on Benitez' level when he has more league titles than Rafa in like 10 less seasons managing just lol.

Guardiola on tier 3 when he was responsible for the integration of how many academy barça graduates.

In all honesty other than Benitez who has had enough chances at top clubs and in general done average at those clubs(bar Valencia, his first season and 08/09 at Liverpool) a lot of these managers are benefiting from the clubs they manage. Ranieri would have been seen as a failure anyway if it wasn't for this complete anomaly at Leicester City where they got lucky with injuries and poor form of other teams.

Also Mourinho is not as versatile as he used to be. You could see from his final season at Madrid and from the 2nd season onwards at Chelsea. He finds a winning formula and sticks to it, even if it no longer works any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Class One: Mourinho, Ancelotti
    Class Two: Klopp, Simeone, Benitez

Then there's a pack that includes the likes of Allegri, Poch, Emery, Guardiola, Wenger, Conte, Ranieri, Koeman, Enrique, Blanc etc

It is hard to say Manager X is better than Manager Y because it depends on the team in question. Guardiola has one style, and it works with world class GOAT talent, but I think he would fail in most other teams.

Mou is the most versatile.
    Guardiola's style has never failed him, but because you think it would he's behind Benitez...? I would also add that Stoke for instance who were a low mid table PL side only became a top half side when they started playing possession based football, which is the style he made big, so to say it would fail in most teams is pretty untrue. If I were to make tiers:

One: Simeone, Guardiola, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Enrique (just)
    Two: Conte, Allegri, Klopp, Wenger, Emery, Ranieri (just because of his league win)
    Three: Poch, Blanc, Koeman

ReputationRep:
    I think that actually Claudio Ranieri, Carlo Ancelotti, Diego Simeone, Jürgen Klopp and Unai Emery are the best managers.

Well... other ones perhaps have won more, but I also look at the teams/players the managers work with.

ReputationRep:
    Going by the season just passed, Wenger shouldn't be anywhere near the top. A three way fight between Pep, Jose and Klopp seems the safest bet for next season, with Ranieri, Koeman and Bilic jostling for the final CL spot.
    "Maybe" Conte could make it a four-way title race resulting in one or all of Ranieri, Koeman and Bilic getting just Europa
    Chelsea are more likely to get top 4 than more than half of those names you mentioned , considering they have no european competition to focus on! Chelsea will most likely get top 4 tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wotaaa)
    I think that actually Claudio Ranieri, Carlo Ancelotti, Diego Simeone, Jürgen Klopp and Unai Emery are the best managers.

Well... other ones perhaps have won more, but I also look at the teams/players the managers work with.
    Ranieri as a top manager is a bit knee-jerk based on one season.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ranieri isn't a top manager

ReputationRep:
    So the team that finished 2nd and have been top 4 for twenty years have no chance of a CL spot.

On the flip side the team that finished 8th are a dead cert for the top four, as are 6th and 7th...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kloppo)
    So, Next season 16/17 will be one of the most competitive seasons since really long time. With Arsene Wenger, Conte, Pep, Klopp, Mourinho all competing with each other. + Pochetitino and Ranieri. Genuinely, who do you think is the best manager ? and why ?
    Steve Bruce because he is Steve Bruce

ReputationRep:
    So the team that finished 2nd and have been top 4 for twenty years have no chance of a CL spot.

On the flip side the team that finished 8th are a dead cert for the top four, as are 6th and 7th...?
    Yes, because the "big" clubs that failed last season "must" "succeed" this coming season, while literally only seven managers are afraid of Arsene (the other twelve can all nick 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 points off the Gunners)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because the "big" clubs that failed last season "must" "succeed" this coming season, while literally only seven managers are afraid of Arsene (the other twelve can all nick 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 points off the Gunners)
    Being "afraid" of another manager means nothing. How many teams were afraid of Leicester until 70% of the way through the season?

All the teams in the league can take points off Arsenal, but they can feasibly take points away from other teams too. The larger point however is that other teams in the league took the second fewest points overall from Arsenal.

I'm still unsure what logic there is to suggest West Ham, Tottenham and Southampton (?) will finish ahead of Arsenal. You actually think that Arsenal will finish mid-table...?

ReputationRep:
    Being "afraid" of another manager means nothing. How many teams were afraid of Leicester until 70% of the way through the season?

All the teams in the league can take points off Arsenal, but they can feasibly take points away from other teams too. The larger point however is that other teams in the league took the second fewest points overall from Arsenal.

I'm still unsure what logic there is to suggest West Ham, Tottenham and Southampton (?) will finish ahead of Arsenal. You actually think that Arsenal will finish mid-table...?
    I see it less in terms of positions and more in terms of points. Let's see how their points progressed since 2013-14:
    ARS 79 75 71
    TOT 69 64 70
    SOU 56 60 63
    WHU 40 47 62
    So unless Arsenal are ambitious in the transfer window and improve on all their target positions (not just one), there's a very high chance they'll finish with less points in May 2017. Where that appears on the table depends on other teams. That's why final league placing is deceptive and of no indication of a successful season compared to other seasons. Arsenal finishing second with the number of points that could easily have them finish fifth? Is that a success or not?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.