Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    Ah, that's good to hear! Is your son only applying to one uni? From what I researched last year, Southampton do a system whereby applicants are selected on their UKCAT (Ie they are put order of highest to lowest) but I don't know if they are going to change that this year...
    He is only apply to foundation year medicine because for normal entry they have very high UKCAT and also hoping to apply to Liverpool, Leicester and may be Newcastle through partners as he had interview last year but didn't make their score for place but they said he can apply again,through partners as he was unsuccessful post interview so they allow that for partners application.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by issydw4)
    A gap year is a brilliant idea, whether you did bad or not, im considering this too as i lost motivation this year! my mums friend runs admissions at a russel group uni and she says they absolutely love gap years, as long as you do something productive! So make sure you do voluntary service and/or work experience - they love it as long as you dont sit around all year!
    As for applying, she says deffinitely apply this year and ask for deferred entry and explain your gap year and that you intend to work abroad etc - this is apparently much better and will help you guarantee your place rather than applying next year when school are less able to help etc, it also gives you something to work for and the uni knows you have goals!
    Hope this helps
    What else can I do in a gap year? What else can stand out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitetack)
    if you're going to take a gap year, there's plenty of reasons to take one, getting experience for medicine is a good one as medicine is very competitive and you need some experience so maybe you could tell your parents that

if your parents are disappointed with you for taking a gap year then they need to take a look at themselves, doesnt make it easier for you i know but the problem is with them and not you
    exactly!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.