The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE geography B SDME exam - Tuesday 24th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For the last question, I talked about a sea wall as an alternative method, is that okay? Also for the 1st question part c I think was about the effect so erosion on people nearby and I said damages or destroyed homes and could affect agricultural land as it destroys crops.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Is it okay if you wrote beach replenishment as An alternative option

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HR321
Yeah I feel like I did answer the question, but I remember my teacher saying that there a lot of marks in this question for the structure and correct communication oh well, we'll ace the terminal paper! If I get say 27/40 in this paper, got 52/60 for the enquiry and get 90% in the terminal paper would that be an A*?

I doubt it, but it is possible.
I am not sure why people are suggesting sea wall or beach replenishment...
You can not put sand in a harbour 😂 I put gabions on the cliff either side, and re-enforced concrete for the harbour wall.
(edited 7 years ago)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lauracjx
Is it okay if you wrote beach replenishment as An alternative option

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did beach replenishment aswell!

Posted from TSR Mobile
what is the maximum mark you can get on the last question if you didn't give an alternate option?
Original post by Helpmepickone
what is the maximum mark you can get on the last question if you didn't give an alternate option?

Around 10 or 11 I think - considering you did well in the other bullet points

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I talked about sea walls for the alternative but is this accepted for sustainablility question
i put for the alternate option a sea wall too😅 This was really unexpected for me i was hoping rivers would come up how many pages did you guys write for the last question
Reply 30
Although option 3 was similar to managed retreat, there was no reference to relocating citizens. Therefore managed retreat could also have been an alternative, as long as you've explained it well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Same, I revised really hard for rivers. I did 2 and a half pages
Original post by FutureDietitian
I am not sure why people are suggesting sea wall or beach replenishment...
You can not put sand in a harbour 😂 I put gabions on the cliff either side, and re-enforced concrete for the harbour wall.

Could you say planting mangroves
Original post by missguidedsoul
Could you say planting mangroves

I guess so but the problem was very harsh, destructive waves so mangroves wouldn't do much
Original post by Arbana1502
i put for the alternate option a sea wall too😅 This was really unexpected for me i was hoping rivers would come up how many pages did you guys write for the last question

I wrote the whole 3 pages and used an extra page.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I doubt it, but it is possible.

Is it weighted in a way that you have to get an A* in each component, or can you make up for it in other parts, say the terminal paper as that is worth 50% of the marks?
Reply 36
I messed up the last point big time. I talked about leaving the harbour where it is and essentially abandoning it to erode, and building a new one in a more protected area of the coast. I realise this is utter rubbish, but I think I managed to pass it off as sustainable by explaining how the new one would need less maintenance as it would be less exposed to the elements, and the tourist activities brought by the harbour would be protected (I.e. Scuba diving). I said the people in Mullion could be relocated as only a few live in the cove, and either way they would still be protected for 20-50 years as the harbour broke down. I fleshed it out a bit more, but does anyone else think this could be reasonable or am I barking up the wrong (Christmas) tree?
Original post by HR321
Is it weighted in a way that you have to get an A* in each component, or can you make up for it in other parts, say the terminal paper as that is worth 50% of the marks?

you can certainly make up for units, eg. A*A*A = (usually) A*
but it goes more on marks than component grade.
eg.
100 (A*) + 100 (A*) + 70 (B) = 270 (A*) so A*A*B = A*
but...
90 (A*) + 90 (A*) + 80 (A) = 260 (A) so A*A*A = A
Reply 38
you can certainly make up for units, eg. A*A*A = (usually) A*
but it goes more on marks than component grade.
eg.
100 (A*) + 100 (A*) + 70 (B) = 270 (A*) so A*A*B = A*
but...
90 (A*) + 90 (A*) + 80 (A) = 260 (A) so A*A*A = A

Ok thanks so I do need to be aiming for full marks in the theory yay haha
hahah thats really weird i got 53/60 in coursework ( by my teacher but not secure) and think ive got at least 30/40 in sdme so am i still in the running for an a or even an a* possibly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending