Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i think it is!! they've requested for a dvd player in exam rooms!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone think that bullet pointing for question 1 and also maybe 2 and 3 would be an issue? I know section B is all essay but seems like Section A could be fine to bullet point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasmincharlotte)
    Can anyone help as to how to answer the section A questions I am FREAKING OUT. I never seem to hit the marks despite discussing relevant theory??
    Alongside theory you gotta make sure that you're providing relevant evidence especially for Q2 and Q3 where they ask for other media texts to support the answer other than the ones shown.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help as to how to answer the section A questions I am FREAKING OUT. I never seem to hit the marks despite discussing relevant theory??
    hey, i'm going to try and explain it to you the best I can but check the aqa website for past papers and click on the option for examiner report it explains to what is needed for each question - its really helpful!

section A, question one
    you need very VERY precise evidence from the two unseen texts. use the evidence to create a range of points and write an equal amount for both text A and B. theory isn't required in question one but if there's something relevant and easy to add into your answer, then go for it!

Section A, question two
    although they say students 'may' refer to other texts you are actually required to refer to text you have researched yourself if you want to access the higher marks. media theory, concept and debates are required

section A, question three
    you must refer to other media texts for this question and include a range of theory, concepts and debates.

im not sure if this is why your not reaching the higher grades but make sure when you use the thory or evidence your not just describing it use it to crete an argument or explin your point. don't describe analyse.

hopefully this helps you a bit, ive attached the link so you can see what AQA has specified should be included in each question.
    GOOD LUCK for tomorrow, you'll be fine!!http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/media...d-mark-schemes

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you use media language in your answers such as 'direct mode of address' 'mis-en-scene' 'diagetic / non diagetic sounds' this will help bring your marks up for section A !

Also does anyone know how do you predict what style question will come up for Q2/3 for section A, I understand Q1 will be on media concepts (MIGRAIN)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caith24)
    Make sure you use media language in your answers such as 'direct mode of address' 'mis-en-scene' 'diagetic / non diagetic sounds' this will help bring your marks up for section A !

Also does anyone know how do you predict what style question will come up for Q2/3 for section A, I understand Q1 will be on media concepts (MIGRAIN)
    This may sound stupid but what does MIGRAIN stand for? I've never seen concepts in that mnemonic before.
    And theres not really a way to predict, there were a few ideas at the start of the thread but????

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what to put for issues with collective identity? or how issues with collective identity are changing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franpavis)
    This may sound stupid but what does MIGRAIN stand for? I've never seen concepts in that mnemonic before.
    And theres not really a way to predict, there were a few ideas at the start of the thread but????
    Usually for the exam they base it on what has been occurring in the media this year, but its unlikely tbh xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franpavis)
    MIGRAIN is media language, ideologies, genre, representations, audience, institution and narrative sorry haha

ReputationRep:
    The key thing is to read the question properly. The first 8 mark question, needs no theorists. Be sure to include theorist views within the other 12 mark questions.
    The first 12 mark question speak about the texts given aswell as another media product (something they haven't given you already).
    The final 12 mark question should only have one or two points regarding the text, but you must speak about other texts to show your wider knowledge of media.
    Without wider contextual knowledge/ products , you cannot get more that 6 marks out of the possible 12.
    Best of luck for the exam 💪🏽

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rigster122)
    Anyone think that bullet pointing for question 1 and also maybe 2 and 3 would be an issue? I know section B is all essay but seems like Section A could be fine to bullet point.
    I wouldn't risk bullet pointing your answers.
    Just in case the examiner feels as though it is not up to the standard which they want it to be.
    I would just answer the questions in mini paragraphs instead.
    Best of luck for the exam

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone !

ReputationRep:
    Guys if a question on ethnicity came up, would it just argue in general like: how are ethnic minorities portrayed, or would it ask you for a specific ethnicity such as how are asians portrayed?

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the exam?

For the second question I used 2 examples from the media texts then 2 examples from different sources, would that be enough? (4 in all)

ReputationRep:
    Are these points okay?
    For the 2nd question I put:
    -two step flow - Russell influential figure (will endorse political values successfully)

- first advert - aspiring lifestyle - utopia.. BUT - audience criticised - active - rejecting values

-propaganda and moral panic -britains first - #bantheburhka fear mongering
    BUT - Audience active - parody britains first page - not getting values imposed, hypodermic needle theory outdated
    -John Lewis - family values, also linked it into values of unity and helping elderly (kind of panicked with this one)

Question 3 on censorship vs freedom of speech

-Isis beheading - liveleak - offensive material
    -Charlie hebdo - sharing freedom of speech dangerous
    -satanic verses controversy -Rushdie
    -gives a voice to marginalised group - #blacklivesmatter, new nation (I also talked about white washing, invisible in relation to this)
    -wikileaks - prevent monopoly control
    -propaganda - ISIS recruitment
    -freedom of speech - democratic - audience are active - social media umm something like that
    I forgot what else I put or if I put anything else, hopefully I answered the question correctly and hoping my sentences made sense because I thought they were quite long T-T

ReputationRep:
    I felt the exam went really well and I was so happy that there was two moving image texts

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember the wording of the questions????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandorax)
    Are these points okay?
    For the 2nd question I put:
    -two step flow - Russell influential figure (will endorse political values successfully)

- first advert - aspiring lifestyle - utopia.. BUT - audience criticised - active - rejecting values

-propaganda and moral panic -britains first - #bantheburhka fear mongering
    BUT - Audience active - parody britains first page - not getting values imposed, hypodermic needle theory outdated
    -John Lewis - family values, also linked it into values of unity and helping elderly (kind of panicked with this one)

Question 3 on censorship vs freedom of speech

-Isis beheading - liveleak - offensive material
    -Charlie hebdo - sharing freedom of speech dangerous
    -satanic verses controversy -Rushdie
    -gives a voice to marginalised group - #blacklivesmatter, new nation (I also talked about white washing, invisible in relation to this)
    -wikileaks - prevent monopoly control
    -propaganda - ISIS recruitment
    -freedom of speech - democratic - audience are active - social media umm something like that
    I forgot what else I put or if I put anything else, hopefully I answered the question correctly and hoping my sentences made sense because I thought they were quite long T-T
    I mentioned that Russell was an influential figure, but also debated the legitimacy of their remit and values as he is a product of Hollywood - do you reckon they'll take this into account?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really enjoyed section B but I'm sure I could've done way better on section A but generally I'm feeling somewhat confident I will pass at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amckin)
    I mentioned that Russell was an influential figure, but also debated the legitimacy of their remit and values as he is a product of Hollywood - do you reckon they'll take this into account?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes that will count! :-)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.