Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE OCR 21st Century B7 C7 P7 - W/C - Monday 20th June 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speedbird129)
    PM me your email address and I will try and send some P7 resources to you. I dont own them btw!.
    And I can't upload them to the thread because it says they are too big.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips for remembering information (e.g functional group, properties, reactivity etc) about alkanes, alkenes, carboxylic acids and esters? It would be greatly appreciated, seen as I'm worried I'll get mixed up in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g3ob)
    Does anyone have any tips for remembering information (e.g functional group, properties, reactivity etc) about alkanes, alkenes, carboxylic acids and esters? It would be greatly appreciated, seen as I'm worried I'll get mixed up in the exam
    Our teacher taught us a mnemonic for remembering how many carbon atoms are in the chemicals. It goes like this, Monkeys Eat Peanut Butter. M - one carbon atom E - two carbon atoms P - three carbon atoms B - four carbon atoms

For example Methane comes under monkey and contains only one carbon atom. Whereas Butane contains 4 carbon atoms. For alkanes, these are surrounded by hydrogen atoms and so once you know how many carbon atoms are in them, the rest is simple! This also applies to alcohols and carboxylic acids.

ReputationRep:
    This is a youtube video of "Cowen Physics" doing a walkthrough of the 2014 P7 paper. Feel free to check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctoSPFWc5rU

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher taught us a mnemonic for remembering how many carbon atoms are in the chemicals. It goes like this, Monkeys Eat Peanut Butter. M - one carbon atom E - two carbon atoms P - three carbon atoms B - four carbon atoms

For example Methane comes under monkey and contains only one carbon atom. Whereas Butane contains 4 carbon atoms. For alkanes, these are surrounded by hydrogen atoms and so once you know how many carbon atoms are in them, the rest is simple! This also applies to alcohols and carboxylic acids.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g3ob)
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the follow btw

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! im in this absolute g's class too. i like p7 interesting topic, just wish there were more past papers we can try on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapidshock)
    Hey guys! im in this absolute g's class too. i like p7 interesting topic, just wish there were more past papers we can try on.
    Who's the G ? Mr. Cowen ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786)
    Who's the G ? Mr. Cowen ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh i mean im the op's class and school. i dont know who mr. cowen is - but our science teacher is pretty alright too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapidshock)
    oh i mean im the op's class and school. i dont know who mr. cowen is - but our science teacher is pretty alright too!
    Lol. Mr Cowen is an OG.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    c7 is the worst!!!
    have you all revised additional content
    im yet to start and have triple
    any advice/tips on effective ways to memorise

ReputationRep:
    Got 100UMS on C7 AMA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Got 100UMS on C7 AMA
    Do you have any advice on this exam and do you have any ways to remember how to draw esters as I struggle with this. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any advice on this exam and do you have any ways to remember how to draw esters as I struggle with this. Thanks
    My method for naming/drawing esters:

In the name, you put the alcohol first and the carboxylic acid second. A comes before C in the alphabet, so this makes sense.

For the drawing, it's the inverse. You want to start with drawing the carboxylic acid part first (on the left hand side), then the alcohol.

I'll give you a worked example. The question says draw the ester formed when butanoic acid is heated with ethanol (with an acid catalyst ). Firstly, name the ester (ethyl butanoate). Then start by drawing 4 carbons, draw the relevant hydrogens on the first 3 carbons, then the double bond with oxygen and the single bond with oxygen. Then attach to the other end of the oxygen that is single bonded the first carbon from the ethanol, and then the second carbon afterwards.

Remember also that water is formed in this reaction as you lose a H+ from the carboxylic acid, and an OH- from the alcohol, which react together to form H2O.

ReputationRep:

In the name, you put the alcohol first and the carboxylic acid second. A comes before C in the alphabet, so this makes sense.

For the drawing, it's the inverse. You want to start with drawing the carboxylic acid part first (on the left hand side), then the alcohol.

I'll give you a worked example. The question says draw the ester formed when butanoic acid is heated with ethanol (with an acid catalyst ). Firstly, name the ester (ethyl butanoate). Then start by drawing 4 carbons, draw the relevant hydrogens on the first 3 carbons, then the double bond with oxygen and the single bond with oxygen. Then attach to the other end of the oxygen that is single bonded the first carbon from the ethanol, and then the second carbon afterwards.

Remember also that water is formed in this reaction as you lose a H+ from the carboxylic acid, and an OH- from the alcohol, which react together to form H2O.
    Thanks, this is really helpful. Please may you also do stuff to do with titrations as this seems complicated?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, this is really helpful. Please may you also do stuff to do with titrations as this seems complicated?
    okay do you do moles in C7 or C6? I can't remember.

ReputationRep:
    okay do you do moles in C7 or C6? I can't remember.
    I don't remember doing them at all?

ReputationRep:

I've looked up on a couple of websites and they all say that the carboxylic acid loses the OH and the alcohol loses the H to make H20??

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember doing them at all?
    Okay so what is it that you struggle with for titrations? I can remember finding the equations difficult because I didn't understand the units, or what was going on.

Don't worry about the moles bit.

ReputationRep:
    I've looked up on a couple of websites and they all say that the carboxylic acid loses the OH and the alcohol loses the H to make H20??
    Perhaps- but a carboxylic acid is an acid so it will often lose a H+. However this stuff doesn't matter- both the carboxylic acid and alcohol have a OH group, so whichever loses which the product will still be the same.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.