Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Problem with weight watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLouSmart)
    One thing you need to be careful about is not undereating. I know that sounds contradictory to not eating a lot, but your portion size needs to be correct for your body.
    You just need to be strict with yourself, and listen to your stomach. If you have eaten your dinner and still feel hungry, eat fruit or veg. If you eat your meals slower, you will be able to tell when you are hungry and if you are just eating out of boredom (which is a pitfall of mine, but I'm try to change, currently on day 6 of healthy eating and exersicing!). Also drinking plenty of water will help. I try to drink 2L a day, I fill my slazenger water bottle and drink throughout the day. Green tea is also good for you. I used to hate the stuff, but now after drinking it for 6 months, I really like it.
    Lastly, if you feel you need a bar of chocolate, have one, just remember to have it in moderation, so basically don't do what I used to do and buy a large bar of chocolate and eat it in one go! Just by a small one, and eat it slower.
    Just remember..YOU CAN DO THIS!!
    Aww thank you so much! You're really good at this! I drink tons of water and yeah I guess you're right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    Aim to eat around 1300 calories a day, of good wholesome food. Eat less carbs. I find bread and pasta makes me feel bloated and I put on the pounds easily with them. Have a workout everyday. I'm doing body weight excerices everyday for about an hour (pull ups, diamond push-ups, squats). Keep this up for two or three months and you will lose lots of fat.

Since the start of this year, I've lost 14 kg. I feel leaner, healthier, stronger and my stamina has gone through the roof.

If you want an idea of what my diet is like - I have beetroot juice (which I make myself) at 6am when I wake up and some pineapple. When I come back from work around 2:30pm, I'll have a load of fruit. Since its summer I've been cramming in lots of watermelon, peaches and cherries. At about 4:30pm I cook my main meal which is usually a sirloin beef steak with two fried free range eggs and boiled spinach and broccoli. I use extra virgin coconut oil to fry all my food. And I have a few blocks of dark chocolate every day. It's a great alternative to milk chocolate (but don't binge on it). I also eat peanut butter straight from the tub.

As you can see, it takes a lot to lose lots of weight (fat). I'm sure you can do it.
    14 kg that is amazing! I tried to do jilian Michaels workouts don't know if you her but her workouts are around 35 mins long and it's high intensity , been doing it for 4 months and managed to gain like 15 lbs :/ so Yh wow your meals sound very yummy and healthy! But only one meal a day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleB)
    Before you eat do a bit of exercise to increase your metabolism.
    Who told you that?
    Will do! Some online calculator based on my height and weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatnerdygirl001)
    Aww thank you so much! You're really good at this! I drink tons of water and yeah I guess you're right
    Thanks I've had to learn the hard way! As long as you know that you can do it, and that if you slip up, it isn't the end of the world, just think, "I slipped up, but I won't fall off the bandwagon completely". Some people will have a "junk food" night with takeaway and films and then thing "that's it, I can't do it", you can, just don't do it every night, limit it to a takeaway a month as a treat. You got this girl!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think I may have a slow metabolism too which makes hings MUCH worse, but oh no 1600 cals is way too much for me , my body apparantly only Burns 1300 by doing nothing
    Your maintenance calories are just over 1700 a day.
    If you dont weigh your food with scales and log it then you wont know how much you are eating.

ReputationRep:
    Will do! Some online calculator based on my height and weight
    Online calculators aren't always correct
    Instead visit your GP for an accurate calculation

ReputationRep:
    Start doing regular exercise, and cut out the unhealthy food (but not completely). Last summer I was big but then I started going to the gym regularly and just eating more healthy. I'm not at my goal weight but I feel a lot better about myself. Losing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise. Also, eat three good meals a day, and cut out snacks. Or if you snack, eat fruit. Also have treat days
    However, to me you don't sound fat, 60 kg is fine.

ReputationRep:
    14 kg that is amazing! I tried to do jilian Michaels workouts don't know if you her but her workouts are around 35 mins long and it's high intensity , been doing it for 4 months and managed to gain like 15 lbs :/ so Yh wow your meals sound very yummy and healthy! But only one meal a day?
    Heh I don't know her but no matter what workout you do, if your caloric intake exceeds the calories that you burn, you will still gain weight unless you're one of those blessed people who have a naturally lean body type no matter how much you eat (like my cousin). For people like us, we have to work hard to maintain a good body especially in this age of cheap convenient food, junk and fast food. In terms of excercise, different people prefer different things. Body weight exercises have worked wonder for me so I stick to them, and personally I don't think anyone can go wrong with them.

Yup, usually one large meal a day, supplemented by lots of fruit, cucumber, dark chocolate, peanut butter and nuts. I used to have two meals but find one meal is a lot more effective for me. Two small meals are fine too, but one meal means I only have to cook once.
    Also another point that so many people overlook is sleep - you need at least 8 hours, preferably more. Otherwise you'll feel lethargic, demotivated and find it more difficult to deal with the munchies as your body demands more energy.

Try to find things to do when you are free. I find that boredom leads to food. And for some strange reason, when I'm active or busy, I tend to think about food a lot less.

Another point is that you need an outlet - we're humans, not drones. We all have desires and if you don't gratify them, then you'll start feeling miserable. I usually go out twice a month with my guys to eat a large meal and a large desert. You need to enjoy the fruit of your labour, so spoil your self occasionally but make sure it's well earned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleB)
    Online calculators aren't always correct
    Instead visit your GP for an accurate calculation
    I've tried many of them and they all same. A similar number 1300 to 1360 so yeah I don't wanna go to GP IM scared of them hehe

ReputationRep:
    I've tried many of them and they all same. A similar number 1300 to 1360 so yeah I don't wanna go to GP IM scared of them hehe
    Alright then
    I'm scared of them too haha

ReputationRep:
    Heh I don't know her but no matter what workout you do, if your caloric intake exceeds the calories that you burn, you will still gain weight unless you're one of those blessed people who have a naturally lean body type no matter how much you eat (like my cousin). For people like us, we have to work hard to maintain a good body especially in this age of cheap convenient food, junk and fast food. In terms of excercise, different people prefer different things. Body weight exercises have worked wonder for me so I stick to them, and personally I don't think anyone can go wrong with them.

Yup, usually one large meal a day, supplemented by lots of fruit, cucumber, dark chocolate, peanut butter and nuts. I used to have two meals but find one meal is a lot more effective for me. Two small meals are fine too, but one meal means I only have to cook once.
    Also another point that so many people overlook is sleep - you need at least 8 hours, preferably more. Otherwise you'll feel lethargic, demotivated and find it more difficult to deal with the munchies as your body demands more energy.

Try to find things to do when you are free. I find that boredom leads to food. And for some strange reason, when I'm active or busy, I tend to think about food a lot less.

Another point is that you need an outlet - we're humans, not drones. We all have desires and if you don't gratify them, then you'll start feeling miserable. I usually go out twice a month with my guys to eat a large meal and a large desert. You need to enjoy the fruit of your labour, so spoil your self occasionally but make sure it's well earned!
    Yeah good points! I try to combine cardio and strength training and a little mat work in like half an hour workout, I think it's okay, my insurance has improve SO SO MUCH but it's just I gained weight which really annoyed me but I remmeber 2 months ago I was eating big breakfasts like porridge fruit and Nutella sandwich and I thought that was healthy and I think because I was exercising I thought I was gonna become of those skinny people who eats lots and don't put weight on cos they exercise but nope that wasn't me so now I just have a tea and coffee and maybe some pasta at lunch and like buckwheat or porridge or rice at dinner time and sometimes a dessert
    But I think problem with going out for a large meal is that you enjoy yourself socmuch eating all that lovely food, but then the next day you can't have it :/ so it makes me miserable

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I used to be a boxer and had to drop pounds in the space of days in order to fall into the correct weight categories. I quit, then gained weight because I ate what I wanted all the time, after a year: I've finally got it off.
    I go to the gym near to everyday, go with someone who knows what they're doing. You can run on a treadmill for 30 minutes, but unless you feel like you're going to be collapse or be sick, then you will not see any changes in your body. You need to reach your max heart rate in every session, (which sometimes makes you feel a bit sick, which is GOOD) in order for your body to use your fat stores. First, your body burns phosphocreatine, then glycogen, and then fat. (I weight train, personally) ( IF YOU CAN'T GO TO A GYM, DO BODY-WEIGHT CIRCUITS AT HOME OR GO FOR A STRENUOUS, VARYING INTENSITY , RUN!!! (20 MIN PLUS BURNS FAT))
    I find that after a good workout, I don't want to eat unhealthily. And by actually going out and going to the gym, that is time that you are not eating, and you also will need to leave an hour or so of no food before the gym to ensure complete digestion. This for me cuts out about 3 hours of my day in which I could be eating, but I'm not- which makes a noticeable difference.
    Increase your veggies intake. They're low calorie, meaning you can eat a larger volume (making you feel more full) yet you'll only be consuming a small minority, (however getting loads of vitamins, minerals, good carbohydrates and plant proteins) of your calorie intake. F*** your five a day, I have about 20 a day lol.
    DONT go on mad diets! eat 5 small meals a day, get everything you need from what you consume. Love your body, don't punish it. Don't cut out carbohydrates- limit refined carbs or starchy carbs but never cut out whole food groups. You need energy. Be sensible, honestly, or you will suffer long term for having an unsustainable diet: just like I did- learn from my mistakes. Good luck!!

Calorie restrictions are rubbish if you eat right. I maintained completely clean eating on a plant-based diet for 3 months, giving me wash-board abs. However, I did not limit calories, My friend tried to do the same but on 1200kcals a day- she lasted about 4 days.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah good points! I try to combine cardio and strength training and a little mat work in like half an hour workout, I think it's okay, my insurance has improve SO SO MUCH but it's just I gained weight which really annoyed me but I remmeber 2 months ago I was eating big breakfasts like porridge fruit and Nutella sandwich and I thought that was healthy and I think because I was exercising I thought I was gonna become of those skinny people who eats lots and don't put weight on cos they exercise but nope that wasn't me so now I just have a tea and coffee and maybe some pasta at lunch and like buckwheat or porridge or rice at dinner time and sometimes a dessert
    But I think problem with going out for a large meal is that you enjoy yourself socmuch eating all that lovely food, but then the next day you can't have it :/ so it makes me miserable
    I'm afraid that Nutella sandwiches are a big no no. In fact I find that wheat as a whole is fattening and makes me feel bloated so I've cut it almost entirely out of my diet. Nutella is amazing, no one disagrees there, but try and keep it as a reward. Ultimately what matters is your mental strength - you can cut sweet and savoury food completely out or eat it occasionally - just don't binge on it and try to keep it at an absolute minimum. Both require lots of determination, and you need to learn when to stop eating the bad stuff.

I have a cookie dough every other week (I have a severe sweet tooth for that stuff) but know not to go over that limit despite my cravings. And no matter what you do, you never can really control those cravings, but you can control what you eat.

I say get rid of the wheat and the junk (except for the occasional delicacies), the dairy and processed food. Have a diet that is mainly fresh meat, fish, fruit, veg and eggs. Milk is another thing I love which I've gotten rid of because it's full of fat, but im leaner thanks to that decision (among many others).

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid that Nutella sandwiches are a big no no. In fact I find that wheat as a whole is fattening and makes me feel bloated so I've cut it almost entirely out of my diet. Nutella is amazing, no one disagrees there, but try and keep it as a reward. Ultimately what matters is your mental strength - you can cut sweet and savoury food completely out or eat it occasionally - just don't binge on it and try to keep it at an absolute minimum. Both require lots of determination, and you need to learn when to stop eating the bad stuff.

I have a cookie dough every other week (I have a severe sweet tooth for that stuff) but know not to go over that limit despite my cravings. And no matter what you do, you never can really control those cravings, but you can control what you eat.

I say get rid of the wheat and the junk (except for the occasional delicacies), the dairy and processed food. Have a diet that is mainly fresh meat, fish, fruit, veg and eggs. Milk is another thing I love which I've gotten rid of because it's full of fat, but im leaner thanks to that decision (among many others).
    Inspirational! So basically cut out carbs and that? Just natural foods
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Hi guys, so I'm a little bit fat I guess , 5'4 and 130 lbs, and I really want to be skinny before summer, idk what to do because I live in America right now and I feel fine about my weight but I have to go to Russia to see my family and everyone in Russia is so skinny and have great figures and I know that they will all judge me and call me fat and tell me to lose weight and it really upsets me, my mum constantly tells me to Lose weight and stop eating crap foods
    That attitude is the one way ticket to an eating disorder. You are not fat, I imagine you probably lack muscle definition. Find a sport or activity you enjoy, whether that be cycling, running, swimming or lifting weights and do it 3-4x a week

You do not need to lose weight, you're not overweight at all

You do not have a slow metabolism, it's a myth. Nor do you need to go to your GP as one user suggested

Eat 3 meals a day. Anymore is difficult to cater for, for precisely no benefit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    That attitude is the one way ticket to an eating disorder. You are not fat, I imagine you probably lack muscle definition. Find a sport or activity you enjoy, whether that be cycling, running, swimming or lifting weights and do it 3-4x a week

You do not need to lose weight, you're not overweight at all

You do not have a slow metabolism, it's a myth. Nor do you need to go to your GP as one user suggested

Eat 3 meals a day. Anymore is difficult to cater for, for precisely no benefit
    I have I started exercising 4 months ago and thought I would lose weight but no
    3 meals sounds good, but I'm guessing no carbs like pasta and bread and pizza and all of that junky stuff

ReputationRep:
    I have I started exercising 4 months ago and thought I would lose weight but no
    3 meals sounds good, but I'm guessing no carbs like pasta and bread and pizza and all of that junky stuff
    Now I don't mean to sound harsh or mean.

But you're acting like a complete fool and doing completely stupid things.

Stop starving yourself it's beyond stupid and in the long run you are only making things worse.

You are not fat and you don't need lose weight and your mum is frankly a stupid ***** if she keeps calling you fat and to lose weight. Your BMI is well within the healthy range at 22.3.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educ...MI/bmicalc.htm

Start thinking for yourself instead of lapping up nonsense and judgements from other people. Who cares if you're not as skinny as some other girl so long as your're healthy? You need to learn to be happy with yourself otherwise like Angry cucumber said your behaviour is a one way ticket to an eating disorder. Been there, it's not fun.

No you don't have a slow metabolism, unless you want to continue being an ignorant person take that nonsense out of your head right now. People who say slow metabolism and fast metabolism are generally idiots who don't have a clue what they are talking about. And your metabolism isn't 1300 calories, at your height and weight your TDEE with little to no exercise is at least 1700 calories

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html

You don't need to cut out food groups like carbs, people who suggest you need to do that as like above are uneducated and don't know what they are talking about. Carbs don't make you fat neither do fats. You should be eating a healthy balanced diet. And so long as you don't eat above your TDEE you won't gain weight.

And as Angry Cucumber said you may want to look into building muscle which should give your more definition, you can do this by eating a high protein diet and following the FAQs of this sub forum. To build muscle you have to actually stick to it though, not just run for an hour or week or play football every now and again. You have to train and you have to train hard.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

There are no quick fixes. And you need to learn your stuff, stop doing stupid things and stop being so ignorant. If you're taking tips out of magazines or from sketchy websites telling you'll "get thin fast" or "fat burning foods" you're reading complete nonsense and not helping yourself

And most of all learn to be happy with yourself and think for yourself and stop listening to these idiots around you telling you what your body should look like or what you should be doing.

ReputationRep:
    if you are worried about being healthy, you shouldn't worry because your weight is perfectly healthy for your height.
    however, if it's body image that's stressing you out, you can change it! obv it takes determination and persistance, but it will be worth it if in the long run it boosts your confidence and makes you feel happy with your body!

my long old story:
    when i was a bit younger i was quite self conscious about my body for a long time. looking back i wasn't fat, i was just unhappy with my body and i felt fat and wanted to wear nice clothes but i thought i didn't look good in them and whatever. i didn't eat brilliantly simply because i didn't know what was good food, soooo i went to see a nutritionist which gave me so much info on what was good for my body (and solved a lot of problems- apparently i wasn't eating enough when i though i was eating too much so i wasnt eating breakfast, which explained why i had such low energy levels all the time).
    sooo it's really important to know what's healthy to eat and that is going to give you energy. i always say this to all my friends: DO NOT SKIP MEALS OR STARVE YOURSELF. it is damaging to your metabolism and makes you gain weight anyway and generally isn't very much fun cos food is rlly great
    i advise you do some research and find out what food is good for you, don't buy rubbish like biscuits (my weakness lmao i love custard creams) and stock up on nuts and ryvitas and hummus and fruit and stuff like that for snacks and whatever. it is so so possible to eat really well and for it to actually taste nice. (i'm a massive foodie as you might have already realised!)

ok onto exersize:
    so when i was actually trying to slim down, i was doing exersize dvds which were fab (jillian michaels is a legend). i did them every day which was tough but after a while the combination of eating good stuff and exersizing made me feel good and i noticed a difference in the way i looked so that motivated me to carry on!

i know your post wasn't really requesting ways to slim down, but i wish i had done this sooner instead of being unhappy with the way i looked. i hope it didn't sound patronising, i just rlly wanted to try and help and also share my experience cos i'm now much happier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Now I don't mean to sound harsh or mean.

But you're acting like a complete fool and doing completely stupid things.

Stop starving yourself it's beyond stupid and in the long run you are only making things worse.

You are not fat and you don't need lose weight and your mum is frankly a stupid ***** if she keeps calling you fat and to lose weight. Your BMI is well within the healthy range at 22.3.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educ...MI/bmicalc.htm

Start thinking for yourself instead of lapping up nonsense and judgements from other people. Who cares if you're not as skinny as some other girl so long as your're healthy? You need to learn to be happy with yourself otherwise like Angry cucumber said your behaviour is a one way ticket to an eating disorder. Been there, it's not fun.

No you don't have a slow metabolism, unless you want to continue being an ignorant person take that nonsense out of your head right now. People who say slow metabolism and fast metabolism are generally idiots who don't have a clue what they are talking about. And your metabolism isn't 1300 calories, at your height and weight your TDEE with little to no exercise is at least 1700 calories

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html

You don't need to cut out food groups like carbs, people who suggest you need to do that as like above are uneducated and don't know what they are talking about. Carbs don't make you fat neither do fats. You should be eating a healthy balanced diet. And so long as you don't eat above your TDEE you won't gain weight.

And as Angry Cucumber said you may want to look into building muscle which should give your more definition, you can do this by eating a high protein diet and following the FAQs of this sub forum. To build muscle you have to actually stick to it though, not just run for an hour or week or play football every now and again. You have to train and you have to train hard.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

There are no quick fixes. And you need to learn your stuff, stop doing stupid things and stop being so ignorant. If you're taking tips out of magazines or from sketchy websites telling you'll "get thin fast" or "fat burning foods" you're reading complete nonsense and not helping yourself

And most of all learn to be happy with yourself and think for yourself and stop listening to these idiots around you telling you what your body should look like or what you should be doing.
    Sorry mate didn't know you were a fitness expert, thanks of course for all these tips but I'm definatly not burning 1700 cals a day because I hardly ever go above 1500 cals and I've managed to gain weight somehow
    Aw I apologise that we're all so stupid
    You may leave now for calling my mum a stupid *****

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mate didn't know you were a fitness expert, thanks of course for all these tips but I'm definatly not burning 1700 cals a day because I hardly ever go above 1500 cals and I've managed to gain weight somehow
    Aw I apologise that we're all so stupid
    You may leave now for calling my mum a stupid *****
    You're not counting your calories properly.

Sure, feel free to continue doing ridiculous things in the vain of the opinions of stupid people. Your choice, but it makes you a fool.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.