Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    As a Liberal, I'd use Kant's argument of "equal moral worth" so I can agree without coming across as a commie
    well yes, it's essentially the starting point of a lot of consequentialism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Although I do understand the idea for this Bill and in part sympathise with it as a foreigner (which is why I agreed to second it), I will not be supporting this Bill for political and social reasons, mainly because of the issues of homelessness, equality and encouraging militarism.
    I'm surprised you don't see the hypocrisy of supporting the IRA, yet criticising militarism.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I hope members reject this bill as former military personnel don't deserve more help than anyone else IMO.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I hope members reject this bill as former military personnel don't deserve more help than anyone else IMO.
    Your total lack of respect Disgusts me ...... Take your communist approach that everyone is equal else where
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Your total lack of respect Disgusts me ...... Take your communist approach that everyone is equal else where
    Emotive arguments have no place in politics.
    Also you haven't attacked anyone else for not supporting this bill

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to define where an ex-veteran's home area should be. I doubt if it is necessarily that nearest to the last military home they lived in.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    RayApparently - you can't see all the seconders. You might just need to slightly tweak the formatting.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    It's not a total lack of respect. It's called dealing with the issue for everyone, not just for some. Fighting for your country is great and soldiers earn by upmost respect but it doesn't suddenly make them better than anyone else. Everyone has the same potential so should be given the same platform to try to reach that potential.

It is disgusting that we have anyone at all living on the streets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    I'm surprised you don't see the hypocrisy of supporting the IRA, yet criticising militarism.
    Supporting the old IRA and sympathising with the Provisionals and INLA's ideology has nothing to do with militarism. This is about your state's soldiers. Fighting for your country is admirable and soldiers earn respect but it doesn't suddenly make them better than anyone else. I also question this, however, when they sign up to fight in conflicts where it is questionable that the intervention is not fuelled by selfish interests, e.g. Afghanistan.

That was a cheap shot and a stupid one to make.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Nay. To each, according to his need is a sound, fundamental principle. Ex-military men have no greater need than other homeless people, nor is their career more praiseworthy than many other careers (indeed, I'd argue that teachers and doctors are far more praiseworthy).
    Mind telling us how many teachers and doctors have died for their country ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Veterans deserve no special treatment. We need to deal with homelessness, but I don't agree with targeting resources and time at certain people.

Not relevant. Servicemen know the risks, nobody forces them to do the job - they do it because they enjoy it. They aren't heroes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Veterans deserve no special treatment. We need to deal with homelessness, but I don't agree with targeting resources and time at certain people.

Not relevant. Servicemen know the risks, nobody forces them to do the job - they do it because they enjoy it. They aren't heroes.
    Try telling that to your grandparents, if they're still alive. Or actually a lot of the people who have been in the forces recently. Yesterday marked 75 years since the sinking of HMS Hood with all souls bar 3 lost; how many of those do you think enjoyed it? Particularly wanted to be there? Chose to be there? On the other hand, how many do you think were there because it was part of their duty, or they were pressured by the community, or were simply drafted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Try telling that to your grandparents, if they're still alive. Or actually a lot of the people who have been in the forces recently. Yesterday marked 75 years since the sinking of HMS Hood with all souls bar 3 lost; how many of those do you think enjoyed it? Particularly wanted to be there? Chose to be there? On the other hand, how many do you think were there because it was part of their duty, or they were pressured by the community, or were simply drafted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How many WW2 veterans are homeless?

ReputationRep:
    Irrelevant. Lots of miners died in the line of duty; yet you don't advocate giving priority to the survivors there, do you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    How many WW2 veterans are homeless?
    Who knows, probably not many because I expect most of those couldn't survive long, but you still make massive assumptions about those who serve, if it's so enjoyable why do so many say it's the worst decision they ever made?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Who knows, probably not many because I expect most of those couldn't survive long, but you still make massive assumptions about those who serve, if it's so enjoyable why do so many say it's the worst decision they ever made?
    I don't care if they regret it, they still chose to do it with their eyes open - presumably because they thought they'd enjoy it. I have family in the forces, for the most part they LOVE their jobs and wouldn't do anything else. They don't think they're heroes or deserving of special treatment so why do you?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I don't believe we have yet but I could be drawn to back it but first I will have to look deeper into the overall problem before I back just helping one group.

Is there anything in particular you think I should look at to show that we have tackled the problem?
    As your party leader says - check his work from the last parliament as Home Secretary.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Irrelevant. Lots of miners died in the line of duty; yet you don't advocate giving priority to the survivors there, do you?
    Yes i do

If there is a ex serviceman and a migrant i would say the serviceman deserves it more

ReputationRep:
    Yes i do

If there is a ex serviceman and a migrant i would say the serviceman deserves it more
    How the hell do you read 'miner' as 'migrant'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Supporting the old IRA and sympathising with the Provisionals and INLA's ideology has nothing to do with militarism. This is about your state's soldiers. Fighting for your country is admirable and soldiers earn respect but it doesn't suddenly make them better than anyone else. I also question this, however, when they sign up to fight in conflicts where it is questionable that the intervention is not fuelled by selfish interests, e.g. Afghanistan.

That was a cheap shot and a stupid one to make.
    Just pointing out that support for militarism and insurgency are equally justifiable

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.