Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    I remember the speeds of the combined particle right after the collision was:
    \frac{5}{k+1}\sqrt{\frac{ag}{3}}

And using conservation of energy got you a (k+1)^2 = 25/9, which you solve to get 2/3.

You do, in the collision.

I'm sure it's 2/3. I think this question tripped up most people.
    But was it a Inelastic collision tho?

ReputationRep:
    I'll chip in

1ai) alpha = -1, beta = 1, gamma = -1
    ii) 0.05 grams
    bi) 17.5m
    ii) 2520N

2i) Show that k = 2
    ii) Show that CM is (0.625, 0)
    iii) angle was 72.6 degrees

3i) Show that the diff. equation holds
    ii) amplitude = 0.2m, period = 2pi/sqrt(10)
    iii) velocity = 0.384ms^-1 downward

4i) cos(alpha) = 1/3
    ii) Show speed is sqrt(ag/3)
    iii) k = 2/3
    iv) -(8/3)mg

Please add in/correct as necessary ^^
    I trust the strangebanana I got all the same apart from a made a silly mistake in the direction of the velocity of the shm. What do you think about grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    I remember the speeds of the combined particle right after the collision was:
    \frac{5}{k+1}\sqrt{\frac{ag}{3}}

And using conservation of energy got you a (k+1)^2 = 25/9, which you solve to get 2/3.

You do, in the collision.

I'm sure it's 2/3. I think this question tripped up most people.
    How do you get K+1 all squared, as if this is a mass what equations contain m^2 in them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davi6336)
    How do you get K+1 all squared, as if this is a mass what equations contain m^2 in them?
    The square of the momentum equation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DraigGoch)
    The square of the momentum equation.
    I wouldn't have thought you use impulse,

All energy was conserved so I just took the energy at one point when mass was just M, and took energy at the other point where mass was m(k+1) as you have all the angles, do you know what be wrong with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VlAd x)
    Did the question say this is a I elastic collision
    Well it can't be, because the particles coalesce, i.e e = 0. So energy isn't conserved.

(Original post by imsoanonymous123)
    you know you're in for a good mark when all your answers are the same as strangebanana's

also I reckon this years grade boundaries might be reasonably high simply because I felt like this paper was unusually short for an M3 paper (4 marks for writing amplitude and period LOL and 7 marks for the part (i) show that in question 3), so there won't be enough people running out of time to keep the grade boundaries down. In terms of the difficulty of the questions hard to say whether it is any different from the average though.
    :awesome:

I don't know though, I only know 1 other person in my school who got k right (and even he messed up the last one about the change in tension), so I think question 4 was significantly harder than usual. I'd bet that brings down the boundaries, at least a bit

ReputationRep:
    Ohh StrangeBanana i think did thst i had a slip instead of (25/9) square rooted take away 1 i think i did 25/3 swuare rooted take away 1. How many marks do u reckon i dropped ?

ReputationRep:

All energy was conserved so I just took the energy at one point when mass was just M, and took energy at the other point where mass was m(k+1) as you have all the angles, do you know what be wrong with that
    Energy wasn't conserved, though, because of the inelastic collision.

(Original post by -Gifted-)
    Ohh @StrangeBanana i think did thst i had a slip instead of (25/9) square rooted take away 1 i think i did 25/3 swuare rooted take away 1. How many marks do u reckon i dropped ?
    Well you'd lose 1 accuracy mark and maybe 1 method mark if they're being harsh?

ReputationRep:
    Well it can't be, because the particles coalesce, i.e e = 0. So energy isn't conserved.

I don't know though, I only know 1 other person in my school who got k right (and even he messed up the last one about the change in tension), so I think question 4 was significantly harder than usual. I'd bet that brings down the boundaries, at least a bit
    Damn. I thought about momentum but then I thought it couldn't be that......

ReputationRep:

its not impulse just the normal mv before = mv after and you square it because of the squared velocities in the energy equation.

ReputationRep:

How many people do it in your school, only 4 did in mine?

ReputationRep:
    Where did the particles collide? If this was given in the question then I misread it arghhhbb

ReputationRep:
    Oh my one arithmetic slip two marks dropped. Oh also StrangeBanana how many marks for the part after that do u think i will drop cos i used thst value of k to find the change in tension.

And also i made a stupid mistake and forgot to add weight force for the shm show that sk i coulsnt get the exact show that. Will thst be like 3 marks dropped ?

ReputationRep:
    its not impulse just the normal mv before = mv after and you square it because of the squared velocities in the energy equation.
    Doesn't that working out look a bit on the small side for 9 marks though

ReputationRep:
    16/9 here too, I went through it with two of my physics teachers and we all got 16/9

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't that working out look a bit on the small side for 9 marks though
    there was also the finding the speeds at the bottom of the circle so all it all it seems about right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VlAd x)
    Damn. I thought about momentum but then I thought it couldn't be that......
    It was an unusual one, for sure; applying conservation of energy twice, and momentum in between, all in just one part of a question.

How many people do it in your school, only 4 did in mine?
    16, I think. Are there only 4 people in your school doing further maths, or could some people choose a different module? All the further maths people in my school did M3.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely the answer is 2/3, i made a slip, but if u did correct PCLM and correct energy conservation making sure you are using (m+km) as the mass after, then you should get it. 16/9 definitely isn't right.

Boundaries maybe 60 for A?

ReputationRep:
    16, I think. Are there only 4 people in your school doing further maths, or could some people choose a different module? All the further maths people in my school did M3.
    Most further maths didn't do M3, there were 3 of us doing additional further and 1 who bravely decided on M3 instead of D1

ReputationRep:
    It was an unusual one, for sure; applying conservation of energy twice, and momentum in between, all in just one part of a question.

please read my previous post, I am really scared about how many marks i will drop... thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.