The Student Room Group

Would you consider it moral or immoral to rob a drug dealer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Namita Gurung
It's immoral to rob ANYONE

What about if an SS soldier was about to execute some innocent civilians. You have the chance to steal his gun and get away with it, such that the civilians would also escape.

Still immoral?
Original post by George69Howarth
As a law student, its not legally or morally right to rob a dealer. They're simply trying to provide for their families and if that's wrong then I don't know whats right.

There are better ways to provide for your family though one could argue. Granted, weed is a relatively harmless drug and I think it should be legalised, but what about the likes of cocaine? I remember once watching a documentary on how smugglers get it into the country and apparently they cut open the stomachs of small animals and babies and stitched it back up. Disgusting and vile.
As a law student, its not legally or morally right to rob a dealer. They're simply trying to provide for their families and if that's wrong then I don't know whats right.

Future defence lawyer in the making.
Original post by davgen7
what a ****ing weird question

depends on what hes dealing

if its weed just leave him alone

if hes one of them that goes around deliberately injecting people to get them addicted so they have to buy from him, steal his ****, and steal his car and burn his house down and bang his girlfriend while youre at it because he shouldnt deserve to live

:rofl:

Okay then
Original post by chazwomaq
What about if an SS soldier was about to execute some innocent civilians. You have the chance to steal his gun and get away with it, such that the civilians would also escape.

Still immoral?

You got me there. When talking about immorality of stealing, I was talking about things that could happen here e.g. robbing a criminal's home once released from jail, etc.
Reply 25
not a problem, im a very passionate speaker :smile:)))))
Who said it was a weed dealer? Not all dealers are bad people. Some of the nicest people ive met tried to sell me ket outside the bus station. Ever since then we have been best of friends and doing ket on a daily basis. Apart from the obvious negative effects, he successfully provides for his family and is a loving father.
Who said it was a weed dealer? Not all dealers are bad people. Some of the nicest people ive met tried to sell me ket outside the bus station. Ever since then we have been best of friends and doing ket on a daily basis. Apart from the obvious negative effects, he successfully provides for his family and is a loving father.

Hence why I brought up cocaine.

Where do you live? o_0
I don't think this is a moral issue. As morality deals with individual actions so you don't harm others, your family or yourself.

So would it be good or bad, wrong or right, legal or illegal to do what the OP said. That is that is the question.

I would say it would be the good and right thing to do. However in a grey area between legal and illegal. As drug possession is decriminalised in Britain, with the drug laws no longer enforced. And as for cannabis not being harmful, the three people who last year murdered a 14 year old boy in Carlisle were on cannabis when they did it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Taking this from more of an ethical point of view, some people see the drug dealer as already in the wrong (by providing a known harmful substance for his/her own profit) however, to the buyers, the dealer is just providing their needs.
Therefore it’s hard to decide what is right, as they have a dependent relationship.

Stealing in any situation is not moral,no matter if you’re stealing from the rich (drug dealer) or the poor (buyers). It may be easily thought that taking from the rich as ‘revenge’ for them being so rich evens out the scales. However, in this situation it would also affect the poor, and directly taking from the poor is seen as unfair. Therefore, since their roles rely on each other, it is hard to tell if stealing from the rich, which indirectly steals from the poor is moral.

Stealing from one drug dealer wouldn’t effect the ‘drug world’ in the slightest, however bringing authorities to the dealer, and possibly a leader of a specific cartel, would have a more damaging effect on the production/actions as they both are hindered through the legal action of punishment in prison.

In terms of the societal effects of drugs, illegal drugs do exist, and there is an endless supply of them especially through Mexico and their cartels.

Mexico’s impoverished state and corruption lead its population to extremes like using drugs as weapons, and using weapons as a means to secure status.
Most people who end up in the drug business in Mexico have been born into poverty, which can be surpassed by the money gained from selling drugs. Also, more and more children are becoming drug dealers in this way, to provide for their families.
Using this tragically true example, is it immoral to supply a product to a willing taker, to gain money which betters a community?
Also, what first made an impoverished child want to sell something illegal?
say no to dadah

I wouldn't I'm not risking my life and my families life. Let the cops do their job although they are too scared to deal with real criminals and like to harass teenagers at Tim Hortons.
Reply 32

Yes I'm sure he successfully provides for his family by destroying other families, by selling harmful substances.
It's immoral to do a robbery that's a complete waste of time imo and that certainly is a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest