What is the best alternative to petrol/diesel in your opinion? Poll Watch

Poll: What is the best alternative fuel to petrol/diesel?
Electricity (6)
46.15%
Hydrogen (7)
53.85%
Vegatable/Cooking Oil (0)
0%
Wind (0)
0%
Solar Energy (0)
0%
Other (0)
0%
champ_mc99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
How does chemistry come from physics when you don;t need physics to do chemistry?

Chemist can manage just fine without a theory of everything (as will all the solid state physicists etc).

The reductionist view is that science is built up from the small parts that then build together to make the big. The anti-reductionist view is that that doesn't have to be so or even fi it si it isn't helpful when trying to do science on larger objects such as the level chemists tend to operate at.

A grand unified theory of everything will not help develop or understand a room temperature superconductor.

Agreed.
Lol fair enough mate. You're the expert.
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Amellia123)
Electric cars would be great if there was a way of producing an efficient battery that could last lets say, 100 miles (the best at the moment for 'reasonably priced' cars is around 30-40 miles I think)
Some of Tesla's cars claim to have a range of up to 270 miles on a full charge, depending on the specifications (it varies depending on what options are chosen when buying). :holmes:

The real problem with electric cars is that their claims to be zero-emissions vehicles are practically worthless in countries where electricity is generated primarily from fossil fuels, not to mention the significant emissions during production of the cars.

Edit: Their new 'affordable' model, Model X, claims to have a range of 303 miles on a full charge.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I got the first edit wrong. Their affordable car is the Model 3 ($35 000 before anything is added), which has a range of about 215 miles.
M14B
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tell that to all the material physicist, solid state physicists, nuclear physicists, condensed matter physicists, physical chemists, and so on.

:hmmm:

How is electricity not physics? :facepalm:

You know, Maxwell and all that jazz.

I am impressed with Maxwell's equations in integral and differential form
username2387497
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Hydeman)
Some of Tesla's cars claim to have a range of up to 270 miles on a full charge, depending on the specifications (it varies depending on what options are chosen when buying). :holmes:

The real problem with electric cars is that their claims to be zero-emissions vehicles are practically worthless in a countries where electricity is generated primarily from fossil fuels, not to mention the significant emissions during production of the cars.

Edit: Their new 'affordable' model, Model X, claims to have a range of 303 miles on a full charge.
Very well said there!
What is your favourite of their cars?

Zero-Emissions from electric cars is total rubbish! I think the batteries are the worst offender. The process in which they are made isn't very Eco-Friendly!

Do you mean the Model 3? But yes it does have that range which is very comparable with a standard petrol car (well it does with my 1.2L Fiat anyway haha)!
username2387497
Rep:
?
Agreed.
Excellent! Now let's end the argument and talk about alternative fuels!
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FireFreezer77)
Very well said there!
What is your favourite of their cars?
Without being an expert on cars or on Tesla, the Model S seems to me the best of the currently available ones. Incidentally, also the most expensive. :lol:

Zero-Emissions from electric cars is total rubbish! I think the batteries are the worst offender. The process in which they are made isn't very Eco-Friendly!
Yeah, I'm with you there. Though it may be worth owning an electric car over a petrol one for environmental reasons in countries like Norway (where electricity generation is >99 percent renewable, so the production emissions are effectively the only ones we need to count, and they're less than that of a petrol car over its lifetime), it's definitely not in the UK.

Do you mean the Model 3? But yes it does have that range which is very comparable with a standard petrol car (well it does with my 1.2L Fiat anyway haha)!
Haha, yes - my lack of car knowledge is showing. :lol: I've edited my post to mention that it's the Model 3 that's affordable, not the Model X.
username2387497
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hydeman)
Without being an expert on cars or on Tesla, the Model S seems to me the best of the currently available ones. Incidentally, also the most expensive. :lol:

Yeah, I'm with you there. Though it may be worth owning an electric car over a petrol one for environmental reasons in countries like Norway (where electricity generation is >99 percent renewable, so the production emissions are effectively the only ones we need to count, and they're less than that of a petrol car over its lifetime), it's definitely not in the UK.

Haha, yes - my lack of car knowledge is showing. :lol: I've edited my post to mention that it's not the Model 3 that's affordable, not the Model X.
Ah that's fair enough (I've been interested in cars since I was a baby haha). The Model S is also my favourite . It looks so good (even better in person). Yeah haha that's the only downside!

Yeah it would make more sense to have one then. It's then Eco-Friendly rather than being sort of Eco-Friendly. Over here it's just too difficult to own one due to the lack of charging points. Also the time it takes to charge is way too long!
Electric cars are a good idea but they need more development still before they're as good as petrol cars.

Haha don't worry about it! The Model 3 is a good looking car in my opinion! They've got loads of people signed up,to get one once it's released!
Ah yes I've just seen your edit!
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Excellent! Now let's end the argument and talk about alternative fuels!
Room temperature superconductors are where it's at.

(Original post by champ_mc99)
Lol fair enough mate. You're the expert.
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
whats yours and why?
All alternatives will also be dependent upon other variables.

Wind and solar are only suitable in very limited circumstances and not really suitable for transportation.

Biofuels, biodiesels and ethanol based fuels means you need to clear more forest to cultivate crops that are suitable. It might also mean competition for food staples are there are only so much land available. Also in many instances, especially if you look at the entire supply and distribution it will require more than a litre of regular diesel to produce a litre of bio-diesel.

Hydrogen, this isn't cheap to produce, distribute and store. Vehicles that can run on this type of fuel isn't cheap either. A whole new infrastructure will need to be set up in order to support this type of vehicles.

Electric vehicles? It is perhaps the easiest to transition to, it can easily be done as a hybrid petrol-electric vehicle and not that much needs to be spent for its support infrastructure, chargers aren't all that expensive and it isn't as if your homes don't require electricity so power lines will need to be built anyway. As a green technology, it will be as green as the power generation network, works great in a country like Norway since much of it are hydro or from other renewable means. Are green cars really green? Its manufacturing process does produce between 30-50% more CO2 than a conventional petrol engine vehicle. Often it is forgotten that to produce petrol or diesel also releases CO2, therefore if you look at it in totality it is better for the environment especially in urban areas since it is fairly rare these days to have a coal plant in the city centre.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mcfatty)
everyone poops, use the energy from that, yea the atmosphere might smell a bit *****y but oh well
I live close to a plant that produces bio-gas from poo, you won't even know there was such a plant nearby if no one told you it was there. The most rancid stuff to it is methane and that's what they are trying to capture from the plant to be converted to gas for fuel.

Just nearby to it is a waste-to energy plant that uses the gas, it uses the gas from the poo to fire up an incinerator that in turn generates electricity.

The only smell is the smell of the BO of the men working in there
username2387497
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alfissti)
All alternatives will also be dependent upon other variables.

Wind and solar are only suitable in very limited circumstances and not really suitable for transportation.

Biofuels, biodiesels and ethanol based fuels means you need to clear more forest to cultivate crops that are suitable. It might also mean competition for food staples are there are only so much land available. Also in many instances, especially if you look at the entire supply and distribution it will require more than a litre of regular diesel to produce a litre of bio-diesel.

Hydrogen, this isn't cheap to produce, distribute and store. Vehicles that can run on this type of fuel isn't cheap either. A whole new infrastructure will need to be set up in order to support this type of vehicles.

Electric vehicles? It is perhaps the easiest to transition to, it can easily be done as a hybrid petrol-electric vehicle and not that much needs to be spent for its support infrastructure, chargers aren't all that expensive and it isn't as if your homes don't require electricity so power lines will need to be built anyway. As a green technology, it will be as green as the power generation network, works great in a country like Norway since much of it are hydro or from other renewable means. Are green cars really green? Its manufacturing process does produce between 30-50% more CO2 than a conventional petrol engine vehicle. Often it is forgotten that to produce petrol or diesel also releases CO2, therefore if you look at it in totality it is better for the environment especially in urban areas since it is fairly rare these days to have a coal plant in the city centre.
Thats very true!

No im aware of that. Some people seem to think that its a good idea. I personally dont think it is.

I know but once its all figured out, it should be easier and then be cheaper too!
The reason the cars are expensive is due to the lack of them. Not many people will buy a hydrogen powered car (for safety reasons) so not many have been produced yet. I think its the way forward but we shall see.

Hybrids arent the future! They have petrol engines in them, therefore rendering them near useless once the oil has run out!
Electric cars currently take way too long to charge up! I know theyre getting quicker but its still too long. It needs a lot more development before it can be a reliable form of transport.
Yeah it works in Norway but its not eco-friendly here. The Co2 produced when making the car, cant be neutralized in a country like this. The batteries are the worst offender.
Its not better for the enviroment here! It is in places like Norway but not here!
Burning hydrogen produces water, which could then be salvaged and reused somehow. Therefore hydrogen has another advantage!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (275)
50.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.93%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.79%

Watched Threads