Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A message to society, it's quite depressing but please read. Thanks x Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Haleem2000)
    idk if this is relevant but your post made me think of this

"One Eva Smith has gone - but there are millions and millions and millions of Eva Smiths and John Smiths left with us, with their lives, their hopes and fears, their suffering and a chance of happiness, all intertwined with our lives and what we think and say and do. We don't live alone. We are members of one body. We are responsible for each other. And I tell you that the time will soon come when, if men will not learn that lesson, then they will be taught in fire and blood and anguish. Good night."
    -The Inspector's Final Speech
    that moment when english lit is still raw in your head

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't be beautiful if we could live in a world where everyone is safe, making fun of people for things they can't change is non exinsistant, every has an equal opportunity at life, everyone is fed, sheltered and given a fresh water source. A pipe dream, I know, but one can dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibola240)
    Wouldn't be beautiful if we could live in a world where everyone is safe, making fun of people for things they can't change is non exinsistant, every has an equal opportunity at life, everyone is fed, sheltered and given a fresh water source. A pipe dream, I know, but one can dream.
    Oh my, that would be breathtakingly awesome. Just total paradise. I seriously could die for this dream.

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in mental health and remember an African nurse telling the other staff that mental illness was rarely heard of where he came from as everyone was too busy looking for their next meal. Im sure he wasnt implying that mental illness is exaggerated but more that priorities are very different where he comes from. But then maybe attending to basic needs and dealing with just what's in front of you results reduces or masks things like depression. I can't help thinking that we live in such an unnatural environment, by nature we are not supposed to know what's happening on the other side of the planet, our lives are supposed to be just what we see around us and our social circles, these are the only things that should influence our perception of the world (besides genetics arguably). Instead though through the Internet, Facebook and tv we have access to so much knowledge among this all the bad news which the brain processes at a subconscious level. It's sensory overload in a way and not surprising if people develop depression. Guess I've drifted a bit from the topic.

ReputationRep:
    indeed, i went through some similar realization, i find it makes you consider the meaning of life if there is one and so my two connclusions were 1.) dont think too much - killing yourself would probably become an inevitability and 2.) if there is a meaning of life, it is.... to help other people.
    you can be as rich as you like but you cant buy health (qualified) or time, we'll all die sooner rather than later and so the only way to make a human life worth anything is if that the human's life was aimed at helping other people and improving the situation of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigofox)
    I used to work in mental health and remember an African nurse telling the other staff that mental illness was rarely heard of where he came from as everyone was too busy looking for their next meal. Im sure he wasnt implying that mental illness is exaggerated but more that priorities are very different where he comes from. But then maybe attending to basic needs and dealing with just what's in front of you results reduces or masks things like depression. I can't help thinking that we live in such an unnatural environment, by nature we are not supposed to know what's happening on the other side of the planet, our lives are supposed to be just what we see around us and our social circles, these are the only things that should influence our perception of the world (besides genetics arguably). Instead though through the Internet, Facebook and tv we have access to so much knowledge among this all the bad news which the brain processes at a subconscious level. It's sensory overload in a way and not surprising if people develop depression. Guess I've drifted a bit from the topic.
    Interesting, I've never thought of it in that way.
    Really though? If humans weren't supposed to know what's happening on the other side though they are living on the same planet, wouldn't this lead to many problems socially, economically and politically? From history, an example is with the holocaust. Many countries were said to have no idea on the holocaust, being unaware at the time on how Hitler was mistreating, abusing and killing Jewish citizens. With propaganda and other deceiving techniques then because of this unawareness, I think Hitler was able to achieve this genocide. In today's society though, because our awareness has changed compared to previous years and we know about the other side, countries and places- this would be much more difficult to achieve if another person had similar desires.

ReputationRep:
    Everything is just a product of luck, whether it be us, life on Earth, current religious groups, etc; and so we need to embrace how fortunate we are to live in educated and more secure countries, and strive to make the world a better place individually.

To all reading this thread, I sincerely recommend reading "A Brief History Of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari

ReputationRep:
    Well said, my friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrododo)
    Everything is just a product of luck, whether it be us, life on Earth, current religious groups, etc; and so we need to embrace how fortunate we are to live in educated and more secure countries, and strive to make the world a better place individually.

To all reading this thread, I sincerely recommend reading "A Brief History Of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari
    Will certainly check the book out, thanks for recommending x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.