Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GothicShield)
    لا، انا انجلزي، ابي و امي من بنغلادش

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Impressed ما شاء الله انا

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayzar)
    There are quite a few refugees here in England though. Many of them being young people hoping that they can still have a future eg. in architecture, engineering etc.
    Theres a NGO that helps them integrate into society which I have been involved in.
    I see

How did those refugees get to England specifically- by relocation from the EU, or from Turkey, or somehow else?

What age are most of them?

What is the gender balance there like?

Is the NGO only able to find / deal with legal refugees or illegal ones too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertyMan)
    I see

How did those refugees get to England specifically- by relocation from the EU, or from Turkey, or somehow else?

What age are most of them?

What is the gender balance there like?

Is the NGO only able to find / deal with legal refugees or illegal ones too?
    In my experience a lot of them just escaped Syria and travelled through Europe by whatever means available - human smuggling has become a booming business in some places because its the people's only option to escape the war. It's a long, dangerous, and tiring journey for many.
    Most are young/ middle-aged adults but there are also several children.
    Not sure about the gender balance in the UK tbh but there are both quite a few of both.
    I don't know much about the legality, but I think pretty much all of them gain refugee status when they come here. The NGO helps them find housing, learn English, and apply for student visas/work permits.
    Quite a few of them have had to stop their studies to leave. I know a university lecturer and a dental student who are now living in Germany and taking a year to learn German before they do anything else.
    The UK NGO is called Rethink Rebuild Society (RRS) and they work alongside Syria Releif.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience a lot of them just escaped Syria and travelled through Europe by whatever means available - human smuggling has become a booming business in some places because its the people's only option to escape the war.
    So that sounds like smugglers take them on boats to Greece/Southern Europe, because crossing to countries like Turkey etc. is too dangerous, and then the EU relocates them (because they share refugees among them) .... is that right?

Thanks for all your answers. Also, from your experience what parts of Syria do most of the Syrian refugees come from?

ReputationRep:
    How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    Impressed ما شاء الله انا
    شكرا، اود ان اتكلم معك اكر لو شءت

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So that sounds like smugglers take them on boats to Greece/Southern Europe, because crossing to countries like Turkey etc. is too dangerous, and then the EU relocates them (because they share refugees among them) .... is that right?

Thanks for all your answers. Also, from your experience what parts of Syria do most of the Syrian refugees come from?
    Np. Happy to answer any questions (and clear up any misconceptions!)
    Actually Turkey has been kind to the Syrians, just like Greece. There are loads of Syrians living in Turkey right now, not just in refugee camps, but also many have moved there long-term.
    But also many people want to go to Europe because of kind of a "European dream" of opportunities. A lot of them travel from Turkey to Greece (and then to the rest of Europe) but its very risky. They have to cross the sea in inflatable rafts, before arriving at Greek Islands.
    They come from all over Syria, though the areas controlled by the government are the most stable since little fighting has happened there yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RattyVlogger)
    How old are you?
    Lol bit random but I'm doing A levels rn so that should give u an idea. Why?

ReputationRep:
    They come from all over Syria, though the areas controlled by the government are the most stable since little fighting has happened there yet
    I see. What about if they live on the South or South-East of Syria, and they are far from the Turkish border- how do those Syrians make their move? Do they cross Syria by foot and try to avoid warzones?

Also, how does the level of education / profession impact where they go? Do the highly-skilled Syrians tend to stay in Turkey or keep moving to Europe, and what about the unskilled workers ?

ReputationRep:
    I see. What about if they live on the South or South-East of Syria, and they are far from the Turkish border- how do those Syrians make their move? Do they cross Syria by foot and try to avoid warzones?

Also, how does the level of education / profession impact where they go? Do the highly-skilled Syrians tend to stay in Turkey or keep moving to Europe, and what about the unskilled workers ?
    Ur asking some very good questions - had to get up a map to remind myself! There are refugee camps in Jordan and Iraq. People's main priority is to get out of the warzone, so I guess those in the South probably leave to the neighbouring countries Jordan and Iraq.

Europe is a preference but its very hard to travel through Syria. This is because there are checkpoints between different occupied areas, where the officers (whether governmental or not) could take anything valuable off you as a bribe to pass.

I think everyone prefers to go to Europe, regardless of education or profession. But, as you need A LOT of money to get through checkpoints and pay the smugglers, I would expect it to be much harder for the poorer people to leave Syria/Turkey.

I don't know any stats but my expectation is that the further you want to go (Syria>camps>Turkey>Europe), the more money you need, and so the more likely you are to have had a decent education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GothicShield)
    Wow finally i found someone!! So happy

انا من لندن، استطيع ان اتكلم قليلا، درست لسنة واحدة فقط ولكن لم يكن لي شخص ان اتكلم به

Posted from TSR Mobile
    اتكلم معه**
    انا اتكلم في اللهجة العراقيه

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    اتكلم معه**
    انا اتكلم في اللهجة العراقيه
    Yay i found another person who speaks arabic!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ur asking some very good questions - had to get up a map to remind myself! There are refugee camps in Jordan and Iraq. People's main priority is to get out of the warzone, so I guess those in the South probably leave to the neighbouring countries Jordan and Iraq.

Europe is a preference but its very hard to travel through Syria. This is because there are checkpoints between different occupied areas, where the officers (whether governmental or not) could take anything valuable off you as a bribe to pass.

I think everyone prefers to go to Europe, regardless of education or profession. But, as you need A LOT of money to get through checkpoints and pay the smugglers, I would expect it to be much harder for the poorer people to leave Syria/Turkey.

I don't know any stats but my expectation is that the further you want to go (Syria>camps>Turkey>Europe), the more money you need, and so the more likely you are to have had a decent education.
    Cool cool, good thread. Thanks for the kind rating.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.