Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Muslims only) Do you think Sharia Law should replace the current legislation Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think Sharia law should replace current legistlation
    Yes
    35.71%
    No
    64.29%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    Nahh dude, in the general sense muslims MUST make it clear that they want shariah or else they are not muslims. In terms of discussing how we can achieve it in a peaceful manner or the chances of it realistically happening is a different thing.

I'm speaking against the unknowledgable muslims on this site who say that they reject shariah outright to gain the respect of non muslims or to "fit in" or to "be modern".
    Oh I see; I would still be cautious about making takfir - not because they aren't committing kufr but rather because the jahiloon amongst them do not understand their sin and therefore need to be reconnected with the faith from the bottom up (starting with their most basic aqeedah and belief in Allah, and then later moving onto matters like this) - speak in terms they understand because it's easy to speak the haq but it is more difficult to present it so it enters the hearts of the people - I feel making takfir on the jahiloon and those weak in faith will antagonise them and harden their hearts rather than soften them and understand their mistake, and so I would still advise hikmah preceding you posting

ReputationRep:
    In Islam, muslims are to abide by the law of the country they live in unless the law prevents them from practising islam. Since i live in the uk, the government has no such law ie-not being allowed to fast in Ramadan which parts of northern china prohibit. So sharia law does NOT need to be implemented into current legislation. However it would be better if it was.
    If you take uk for example, what does the government encourage society to indulge in. I can mention some evident examples.

ALCOHOL-the biggest killer in the uk, AandE are constantly bombarded with alcoholics on a daily basis whilst they could be healing and putting their attention towards more severely sick and injured people, this puts strains economically on the NHS and is one of the factors leading it into turmoil.Rape is also another consequence to consider. What does the government do to solve the issue= reduce the drinking age, Ironic.

GAMBLING- no one can doubt that there are more gambling sites in the uk out there now than there were say 20 years ago. For example Ladbrokes, betfair, ext ext. theses cause family disputes, stress,anxiety and potentially lead to theft- the effects are adverse. Yet the government does nothing to tackle the issues.

INTEREST DEALING / USURY- There are so many different banking schemes now whilst before all you had was a loan, mortgage, overdraft ext. They trick people into best deals for them whilst they're really putting people under huge debt and ripping their pockets out. Islamic banks don't give loans or mortgages but rather money to you which they make back through profit means. So you potentially know how much they take from you.

SEXUAL IMMORALITY- young generation in society are becoming more promiscuous through TV, internet, now sexual acts are seen by viewers on TV as early as 5 o'clock. Not only that people are becoming less committed to marry as they feel more free not to do so. This leads to unstable families, illegitimately born children which have another name commonly used too. Sharia law prohibits promiscuity as it is considered a sin.

DRUGS- cannabis is soon to be legalised in the uk and you can't imagine that other hard drugs like cocaine/heroin will follow.

Sharia law prohibits these things. The things you see in Saudi arabia or Iran unabling women to drive or cutting off peoples hands are not islamic but rather cultural. If people's perception of sharia law is stoning the adulterous woman or killing apostates then then are deceived and should stop listening to what the media(ISLAMOPHOBES) have to say because the media's knowledge of sharia law and islam is the same as the islamic terrorists. They both take things literally without understanding and out of context. Exactly how a 2 year old reads a book.

BUT AGAIN, SHARIA LAW DOES NOT NEED TO BE IMPLEMENTED INTO CURRENT LEGISLATIONS.

(IF ANYONE WANTS ME TO JUSTIFY POINTS ABOUT STONING OR KILLING APOSTATES I'LL DO SO)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamestaneh;[url="tel:65194295")
    65194295[/url]]Oh I see; I would still be cautious about making takfir - not because they aren't committing kufr but rather because the jahiloon amongst them do not understand their sin and therefore need to be reconnected with the faith from the bottom up (starting with their most basic aqeedah and belief in Allah, and then later moving onto matters like this) - speak in terms they understand because it's easy to speak the haq but it is more difficult to present it so it enters the hearts of the people - I feel making takfir on the jahiloon and those weak in faith will antagonise them and harden their hearts rather than soften them and understand their mistake, and so I would still advise hikmah preceding you posting
    Nah I totally agree with you. However, to start from the bottom and speak softly requires multiple posts which is time noone will invest on a site like TSR if ygm? As we're not speaking in person, it's better to be harsh and to the point on a site like this but I accept whatever criticisms you have to my approach (y)

ReputationRep:
    idgaf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sullyking)
    In Islam, muslims are to abide by the law of the country they live in unless the law prevents them from practising islam. Since i live in the uk, the government has no such law ie-not being allowed to fast in Ramadan which parts of northern china prohibit. So sharia law does NOT need to be implemented into current legislation. However it would be better if it was.
    If you take uk for example, what does the government encourage society to indulge in. I can mention some evident examples.

ALCOHOL-the biggest killer in the uk, AandE are constantly bombarded with alcoholics on a daily basis whilst they could be healing and putting their attention towards more severely sick and injured people, this puts strains economically on the NHS and is one of the factors leading it into turmoil.Rape is also another consequence to consider. What does the government do to solve the issue= reduce the drinking age, Ironic.

GAMBLING- no one can doubt that there are more gambling sites in the uk out there now than there were say 20 years ago. For example Ladbrokes, betfair, ext ext. theses cause family disputes, stress,anxiety and potentially lead to theft- the effects are adverse. Yet the government does nothing to tackle the issues.

INTEREST DEALING / USURY- There are so many different banking schemes now whilst before all you had was a loan, mortgage, overdraft ext. They trick people into best deals for them whilst they're really putting people under huge debt and ripping their pockets out. Islamic banks don't give loans or mortgages but rather money to you which they make back through profit means. So you potentially know how much they take from you.

SEXUAL IMMORALITY- young generation in society are becoming more promiscuous through TV, internet, now sexual acts are seen by viewers on TV as early as 5 o'clock. Not only that people are becoming less committed to marry as they feel more free not to do so. This leads to unstable families, illegitimately born children which have another name commonly used too. Sharia law prohibits promiscuity as it is considered a sin.

DRUGS- cannabis is soon to be legalised in the uk and you can't imagine that other hard drugs like cocaine/heroin will follow.

Sharia law prohibits these things. The things you see in Saudi arabia or Iran unabling women to drive or cutting off peoples hands are not islamic but rather cultural. If people's perception of sharia law is stoning the adulterous woman or killing apostates then then are deceived and should stop listening to what the media(ISLAMOPHOBES) have to say because the media's knowledge of sharia law and islam is the same as the islamic terrorists. They both take things literally without understanding and out of context. Exactly how a 2 year old reads a book.

BUT AGAIN, SHARIA LAW DOES NOT NEED TO BE IMPLEMENTED INTO CURRENT LEGISLATIONS.

(IF ANYONE WANTS ME TO JUSTIFY POINTS ABOUT STONING OR KILLING APOSTATES I'LL DO SO)
    Asalamualaikum dear brother, you have simply told everyone the truth. This thread should be closed because we have the best answer here. I agree with everything that you have said. It is just a lack of understanding that people have nowdays that have put Islam in a bad light. Everything in islam is well justified when you look at it carefully. But those who subvert of cherry pick are surely hurting themselves.
    May Allah Bless you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamestaneh)
    There has to be hikmah behind it's implementation - if the majority of the population are non-Muslim and also the Muslims are not ready yet because they are collectively weak in faith and don't share the same aqeedah, then it would not be wise to implement it within society in it's entirety; if it was a Muslim majority state then phasing it in would be successful and wiser... I guess this is ever so slightly different to wanting Shariah since wanting and practically deciding whether to apply it or not are two seperate things, but deciding not to apply it at that moment in time is not necessarily worthy of Takfir :holmes:
    Well said.

Muslims were present in Makkah before the hijrah. Idol worship was forbidden then. It didn't mean that this was applied to the whole of the Makkan community or that the Muslims prevented people from indecency whilst performing pilgrimage around the Ka'bah, or that they removed the idols. The Muslims themselves stuck firmly to the laws that they had thus far, but they did not govern the land and so there was no wider enforcement of these laws.

When the Muslims emigrated to Madinah from Makkah, a community was formed. Islam was practiced freely, without the fear of abuse and loss of life. As such, more laws came into place to govern the Muslim community. As the non-Muslims saw that the law was just and was being implemented by a just individual, they began to also defer their own legal issues to Muhammad (peace be upon him). In fact, he would judge them in accordance to justice as he was commanded by God, yet with their own laws (see the Jews being judged by the Torah). With time, non-Muslim relations too became encompassed in the Islamic law - the Madinah charter is an example of this, as are the many injuctions in the Quran.

The Makkans were eventually only ruled over after they continued to pursue the Muslims after the emigration, resulting in the several wars which followed.

The point being that Islam didn't seek to force it's laws upon people. But where it was the governing law, it took responsibility for law and order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sullyking)

[...]
    To give a non-Muslim's point of view because I find your post very intelligent and interesting:

First of all, I would like to say that not all British people are raging alcoholic drug-addicted gamblers who despise the traditional family. In fact I would say the majority of British people hold the same views as moderate Muslims regarding gambling, drugs and the traditional family (even if they don't always practice what they preach especially as regards the latter). This is quickly changing however as the older generation dies out, and traditional British societal structures are progressively destroyed by government economic policy and worldwide developments.

Anyway, I think Muslims in this country need to acknowledge that there is not a huge 'Us vs Them' divide between Muslims and non-Muslims as regards social issues: nobody wants to see alcoholism or drugs or dysfunctional families. The only difference between Britain and Muslim countries in this regard is that we value freedom of choice, so that unless you are directly harming someone else we feel you should not be prevented from doing what you want to do. This does not mean that we view the effects of this policy as good, we just view the effects of totalitarianism as equally bad. After all, Muslim countries are generally poorer and less safe for women than Western countries so we must be doing something right.

Besides, you are wrong when you say that the British government is not tackling these problems: alcohol consumption among young people has fallen over the past 10 years, often as a result of increasing education and government-sanctioned price increases. The legalisation of drugs is intended to stop drug-related crime: if drugs are legal then there will be no more need for drug dealers and smugglers, thus no more drug gangs and much less drug-related crime. The war on drugs has taken a huge toll on Western society and it has been utterly pointless, so now we must acknowledge that although drugs are generally bad, it is better to have them regulated and sold freely rather than forcing people to be drawn into criminal activities to get what they want.

Please do. I think the general opinion among non-Muslims is that the Qur'an sanctions the death penalty for apostasy, adultery and homosexuality so if this is not true I would like to hear how you come to that conclusion. Also, in my personal opinion, I think any book which makes it unclear in any way that stoning people to death who have done no harm to anyone else is a crime against humanity, is not worthy of being defended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    To give a non-Muslim's point of view because I find your post very intelligent and interesting:

First of all, I would like to say that not all British people are raging alcoholic drug-addicted gamblers who despise the traditional family. In fact I would say the majority of British people hold the same views as moderate Muslims regarding gambling, drugs and the traditional family (even if they don't always practice what they preach especially as regards the latter). This is quickly changing however as the older generation dies out, and traditional British societal structures are progressively destroyed by government economic policy and worldwide developments.

Anyway, I think Muslims in this country need to acknowledge that there is not a huge 'Us vs Them' divide between Muslims and non-Muslims as regards social issues: nobody wants to see alcoholism or drugs or dysfunctional families. The only difference between Britain and Muslim countries in this regard is that we value freedom of choice, so that unless you are directly harming someone else we feel you should not be prevented from doing what you want to do. This does not mean that we view the effects of this policy as good, we just view the effects of totalitarianism as equally bad. After all, Muslim countries are generally poorer and less safe for women than Western countries so we must be doing something right.

Besides, you are wrong when you say that the British government is not tackling these problems: alcohol consumption among young people has fallen over the past 10 years, often as a result of increasing education and government-sanctioned price increases. The legalisation of drugs is intended to stop drug-related crime: if drugs are legal then there will be no more need for drug dealers and smugglers, thus no more drug gangs and much less drug-related crime. The war on drugs has taken a huge toll on Western society and it has been utterly pointless, so now we must acknowledge that although drugs are generally bad, it is better to have them regulated and sold freely rather than forcing people to be drawn into criminal activities to get what they want.

Please do. I think the general opinion among non-Muslims is that the Qur'an sanctions the death penalty for apostasy, adultery and homosexuality so if this is not true I would like to hear how you come to that conclusion. Also, in my personal opinion, I think any book which makes it unclear in any way that stoning people to death who have done no harm to anyone else is a crime against humanity, is not worthy of being defended.
    More than 9 million people in England drink more than the recommended daily limits. In the UK, in 2014 there were 8,697 alcohol-related deaths. Alcohol is 10% of the UK burden of disease and death, making alcohol one of the three biggest lifestyle risk factors for disease and death in the UK, after smoking and obesity. An estimated 7.5 million people are unaware of the damage their drinking could be causing Alcohol related harm costs England around £21bn per year, with£3.5bn to the NHS, £11bn tackling alcohol related crime and £7.3bn from lost workdays and productivity costs.A minimum unit price is one of the most effective strategies for reducing alcohol-related harm. Selling alcohol for no less than 50p a unit would tackle health inequalities, reduce alcohol related crime, hospital admissions, lost productivity days and save lives. Alcohol was 61% more affordable in 2013 than it was in 1980.SO NO I DON'T BELIEVE THE GOVERNMENT IS TACKLING THE ISSUES.If you want to read the wholearticle- https://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/help-and-advice/statistics-on-alcohol/ A retired top cop, the Government's former chief drugs adviserand a police and crime commissioner are among a growing number of respected professionals joining stoners to call for a change in the law.They claim the UK is wasting £500million a year and scant police resources on a "war on drugs" it CAN'T WIN and targeting patients andpot-heads alike for something 60% of young people have at least tried.Many western countries – including the Netherlands, Portugal,Spain, Germany and half of American states – have legalised ordecriminalised marijuana in some form.Ireland is considering decriminalising ALL drugs at the moment.It is just a matter of time the uk do so as well.

Now on apostles/adultery/homosexuality.

Islam is not against gay people instead it's against the act of Homosexuality/Sodomy which most mainstream religions are against too. It is considered a grave sin, However muslims have NO RIGHT I REPEAT NO RIGHT to kill, prevent or judge gay people as only God has that authority. Muslims are only suppose to guide them or advise them - THAT'S IT. If a muslim oppresses someone who's gay or offends them, then the muslims shall be punished and be looked upon LOWER then them on the day of judgement. The lesson is given in the Qur'an if you read the passage of Lut(AS) also known as Lot in the bible.

On the point of murdering of apostates, no wherein the Qur'an does it mention to murder apostates. In fact as muslims we're not even allowed to murder anything needlessly yet alone kill a human being. Anyone is allowed to leave islam, if people don't want truth and peace in their life it's up to them, but people who KILL those who leave the fold of islam shall never be considered righteous and are committing a great sin. My friend, you must first understand the context of the quotes you take from the Qur'an. Most of the passages mentioning killing non-muslims are from defensive battles and wars. Times in which the muslims were oppressed and murdered for fun, muslims leaving their homes in exile from wretched people (oppressing them/killing them/burning their homes) at the time who committed all grave sins-sodomy/torture/gambling/fornication/burning people/idolatry/ext ext ext. But even in war muslims were prohibited to commit certain action. Please watch the clip.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2MBgK79eLw)

Women are not even looked upon lower than men in fact they have a higher statues in islam. The prophet said love your mother love your mother love your mother then love your father. So a mother is closer to the heart of her child. Islam is also the only religion in the world which states marry only 1 wife,"marry them by the two's the three's the fours, but if you cannot do justice between them, marry only one". Watch this video...

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-WRz9S0hw)

I HOPE I HELPED YOU GAIN A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF ISLAM. WISH YOU ALL THE PEACE IN LIFE.
    ·

ReputationRep:
    pretty sure it says in the quran that sharia law should be imposed on infidels by muslims
    in fact im more or less certain
    hence those saying that it shouldnt arent following the instruction of mohammed, so they arent actual muslims which makes things even stickier than they already were

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Yes. I think it should.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if you want sharia law why dont you go to a country that already has it? that would make sense wouldnt it? instead of taking your "questionable" views and hoping they will be imposed on a country that currently does not have sharia law, has never had sharia law, and hopefully never will?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

Some things I feel should be changed about the current law, which happen to align with Sharia, but only very few things and that's due to personal opinion anyway. Sharia as a whole, though, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sullyking;65253351[...)
    Islam is also the only religion in the world which states marry only 1 wife,"marry them by the two's the three's the fours, but if you cannot do justice between them, marry only one".
    ·
    You just quoted a passage which tells you marry two or three so evidently the marrying only one is just if things don't work out between the other wives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davgen7)
    if you want sharia law why dont you go to a country that already has it? that would make sense wouldnt it? instead of taking your "questionable" views and hoping they will be imposed on a country that currently does not have sharia law, has never had sharia law, and hopefully never will?
    Not really how Democracy works... Are you going to punish thought crimes . Maybe all those who think we should get out of the EU all go to America? or those who think Britain should embrace socialism should all go live in China?

I remember a Fox News anchor making a case of why they should accommodate atheists who don't want to say pledge of allegiance, and they're free to not live in America.

There once was a time where people thought the monarchy would not be abolished in France

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.