Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Nahh - I did it without having studied biology (or chemistry for that matter), beyond GCSE.

Medicine isn't hard, theres just a lot of it.
    It is doable without biology, but having biology to A2 helped so so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggiedavies)
    As said previously, with those 3 options, you would be able to apply to MOST med schools. Having Biology would entitle you to apply to EVERY med school. Honestly, my advice would be to drop either Physics or Maths and do Biology instead, but really, just choose 3 (science-based) subjects you're most confident you would achieve AAA in.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much! <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Nahh - I did it without having studied biology (or chemistry for that matter), beyond GCSE.

Medicine isn't hard, theres just a lot of it.
    Thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    My honest advice would be to drop maths of physics and carry on with biology. Biology doesnt really escalate in difficulty between AS and A2 but maths and physics really do, you may be more likely to get the A in bio (I know thats what most people here at my uni got an A* in as its generally easier) and its more relevant. Just a thought though.
    Or turn that argument the other way - most of the biology will be covered again in medical school, but physics and maths won't. So there's more value of doing additional related subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Or turn that argument the other way - most of the biology will be covered again in medical school, but physics and maths won't. So there's more value of doing additional related subjects.
    There's a reason why most universities require biology. Even though it will be covered again the foundation knowledge will make it easier. It shows that they can grasp biological concepts. If they can't grasp it at a level how are they meant to understand it along with harder stuff when studying medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by mliela)
    There's a reason why most universities require biology. Even though it will be covered again the foundation knowledge will make it easier. It shows that they can grasp biological concepts. If they can't grasp it at a level how are they meant to understand it along with harder stuff when studying medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's barely harder. The question here isn't whether OP is able to A-level biology or not, but whether it they'd rather do another subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    It's barely harder. The question here isn't whether OP is able to A-level biology or not, but whether it they'd rather do another subject.
    It'll definitely limit their choice. Sometimes meeting the minimum requirement isn't enough. From what I've seen and heard its safer to do bio.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.