Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    You get me. :lol:

Nope, I know perfectly well what I'll feel like if I don't get the grades I know I'm capable of, but it hasn't done much for me yet. Glad that works for you, though!
    It only works at 10 PM the night before the exam for me . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    there's a chrome extension called "stayfocusd" or something - if you turn on the 'nuclear option' and the setting where you have to type in this massive paragraph without mistakes etc (basically impossible) to turn it off, you can't go onto any blacklisted sites
    I'd just go on incognito.. :getmecoat:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've used that extension before and that's exactly what I did.

(Original post by Infamous*)
    ok serious advice:

You need create an evironment that removes as many distractions as possible, e.g.
    turning your wifi off on your phone so you don't get whatsapp messages,
    use apps which block websites you procrastinate on (I use StayFocused) etc.

One thing that helps me is not thinking about the workload, I just put myself in a "Just do it" mindset.

Hope this helps
    Okay, the first one's fine since I don't have a smartphone, but apps don't work like I mentioned above. I think I could just turn off the internet altogether, or even not use my laptop, but I basically do all my revision on my laptop and the internet's too helpful...

ReputationRep:
    I always find that peer pressure is the only thing that stops me from procrastinating. If I'm at school or in the library and its full of people studying then I'll focus but if I'm home alone I'll procrastinate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    It only works at 10 PM the night before the exam for me . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So I've got to wait 45 minutes before I frighten myself into doing some revision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christie_xx)
    I always find that peer pressure is the only thing that stops me from procrastinating. If I'm at school or in the library and its full of people studying then I'll focus but if I'm home alone I'll procrastinate!
    I actually find I do better around others too! Thing is I don't think there's a library that's open right now, and my exam's tomorrow. :erm:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    So I've got to wait 45 minutes before I frighten myself into doing some revision?
    Seems to work for me. I make TSR threads and gush out knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I need help.
    there's an extension called stayfocused, if you set it to the nuclear option it blocks all sites for a set period of time (with no way of turning it off) except the ones on your white list.
    You can get an app on your phone that has pretty trees grow but the second you pick it up they die, worth a try maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to work for me. I make TSR threads and gush out knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I should stay well clear of TSR if I want to make any progress..
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    there's an extension called stayfocused, if you set it to the nuclear option it blocks all sites for a set period of time (with no way of turning it off) except the ones on your white list.You can get an app on your phone that has pretty trees grow but the second you pick it up they die, worth a try maybe.

I've tried both, and neither has managed to keep me off the websites for long.

ReputationRep:
    I actually find I do better around others too! Thing is I don't think there's a library that's open right now, and my exam's tomorrow. :erm:
    Ohh dear. Well if it helps to peer pressure you into studying, then I'll tell you that I'm off to go do loads of studying rn

Another thing that helps me focus is getting stressed out about the exam. If I genuinely believe that I'll fail if I keep procrastinating I usually find a way to focus.

Good luck in your exam tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Just wait till day befor exam .... It should stop the procrastination
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    would trying something like working in short bursts of say 20 minutes work for you? pomodoro timers can be good for that sort of thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christie_xx)
    Ohh dear. Well if it helps to peer pressure you into studying, then I'll tell you that I'm off to go do loads of studying rn

Another thing that helps me focus is getting stressed out about the exam. If I genuinely believe that I'll fail if I keep procrastinating I usually find a way to focus.

Good luck in your exam tomorrow!
    I think that works more when I see people studying right in front of me. :lol:

I'm sure that fear of failure will kick in soon. (I just hope it's not too late)
    (Original post by Xepz)
    Just wait till day befor exam .... It should stop the procrastination
    This is the day before my exam.

ReputationRep:
    would trying something like working in short bursts of say 20 minutes work for you? pomodoro timers can be good for that sort of thing
    Believe me when I say I've tried everything. Even pomodoro timers. I just end up having super long breaks in between those twenty minutes of work.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Believe me when I say I've tried everything. Even pomodoro timers. I just end up having super long breaks in between those twenty minutes of work.
    hmm, how about going to a coffee shop with no wifi in it?

ReputationRep:
    Just ask yourself why are you doing this in the first place :P

ReputationRep:
    hmm, how about going to a coffee shop with no wifi in it?
    Too late for that right now, I'd say.

Spoiler:
    Show
    And I need the internet for revision.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Too late for that right now, I'd say.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And I need the internet for revision.
    do you need it, do you really:P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ordo)
    Just ask yourself why are you doing this in the first place :P
    I'm procrastinating because I hate English Lit. And I might be addicted to TSR.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Now what? :getmecoat:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I think I should stay well clear of TSR if I want to make any progress..

Ahahahaha! True. Well, I hope you work something out soon. There's always osmosis if you're desperate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    do you need it, do you really:P
    Um, maybe?
    Ahahahaha! True. Well, I hope you work something out soon. There's always osmosis if you're desperate.Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! By osmosis do you mean the thing that happens in cells or something else?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.