ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemiii)
    I put D
    Same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermanxxxxxx)
    And polarisation what did people out for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mg2+ has a small ionic radius and high charge. Therefore it has a high electron density.
    I- has large ionic radius and is polarised by the small Mg2+ ion. (<--- I may have mentioned something about Mg2+ distorting the electron cloud of I-)
    Then I talked about covalent character as there was a degree of electron sharing.

-

The question after that I said that we can see that there is covalent character because the experimental (<-- more exothermic?) and theoretical lattice energies had a significant difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonok)
    What did you guys right for the multiple choice question best way to prove that something is ionic
    I put d I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melanin101)
    Mg2+ has a small ionic radius and high charge. Therefore it has a high electron density.
    I- has large ionic radius and is polarised by the small Mg2+ ion. (<--- I may have mentioned something about Mg2+ distorting the electron cloud of I-)
    Then I talked about covalent character as there was a degree of electron sharing.

-

The question after that I said that we can see that there is covalent character because the experimental (<-- more exothermic?) and theoretical lattice energies had a significant difference
    I put the same just trying to think if you had to define polarisation aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And anyone know how many marks the Hess law question was out of as I put down 61 which seems to be wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And anyone know how many marks the Hess law question was out of as I put down 61 which seems to be wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was three marks

ReputationRep:
    wasnt too bad! i said that there may be other isotopes found for the one about why oxygen relative mass not used anymore, the one about bond breaking annoyed me ahahhaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightinwind)
    wasnt too bad! i said that there may be other isotopes found for the one about why oxygen relative mass not used anymore, the one about bond breaking annoyed me ahahhaha
    Ahh i put for oxygen not used as a comparison anymore because it was the different isotopes of oxygen in air- not one specific one, so it was changed to be more accurate or something

ReputationRep:
    That bond breaking one confused me I literally did the displayed formal and wrote out how many bonds were formed and of what kind idk is that would be right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlowaPowa)
    Ahh i put for oxygen not used as a comparison anymore because it was the different isotopes of oxygen in air- not one specific one, so it was changed to be more accurate or something
    i literally made something up that was one of the ones i wasnt sure about anyways!

ReputationRep:
    I MESSED UP the ionisation energy one. I put chlorine as the anomaly. I hate myself.

Also forgot to draw the sigma bond on the carbon atoms. Silly me.

Otherwise it was easy. Goodness it's going to be something like 81/80 for an A isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    Are edexcel going to fairly standardise the boundaries?? Every year the students retaking AS are helped by those who mess it up in the year below, lowering the boundaries.. this year there are no AS students! I'd say 65/80 is fair for an A?

The highest its been recently is 66 and i think a lot of people found this easy because it's the second time of asking. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't think it was that challenging, curious as to what people done for the question concerning why Oxygen - sample taken from air - isn't used as a scale anymore?

Is the fact that air isn't completely composed of Oxygen, and thus an unfair scale, completely incorrect?

Also if I will lose marks for not putting a 'slightly' positive an negative charge on the H & Br, in the 4 mark mechanism question at the end?

It's usually 1 mark for the formation of H+ and Br- (with the arrow of course), 1 mark for an arrow going from the negatively charged Br (with lone pair) to the carbocation, and the third mark for the construction of the carbocation. Any ideas where that fourth mark comes from?

ReputationRep:
    I put something like the mass of an atom of oxygen 16 is not exactly 16 g

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bighe4d123)
    Didn't think it was that challenging, curious as to what people done for the question concerning why Oxygen - sample taken from air - isn't used as a scale anymore?

Is the fact that air isn't completely composed of Oxygen, and thus an unfair scale, completely incorrect?

Also if I will lose marks for not putting a 'slightly' positive an negative charge on the H & Br, in the 4 mark mechanism question at the end?

It's usually 1 mark for the formation of H+ and Br- (with the arrow of course), 1 mark for an arrow going from the negatively charged Br (with lone pair) to the carbocation, and the third mark for the construction of the carbocation. Any ideas where that fourth mark comes from?
    1 marks for dipole
    1 mark for curly arrows
    1 mark for intermediate
    1 mark for curly arrow from Br- to intermediate
    I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaylo123)
    Are edexcel going to fairly standardise the boundaries?? Every year the students retaking AS are helped by those who mess it up in the year below, lowering the boundaries.. this year there are no AS students! I'd say 65/80 is fair for an A?

The highest its been recently is 66 and i think a lot of people found this easy because it's the second time of asking. Thoughts?
    This year paper is easier than last year. I would say around 68-70 out of 80 for an A
    and 80 out of 80 for full ums

ReputationRep:
    That bond breaking one confused me I literally did the displayed formal and wrote out how many bonds were formed and of what kind idk is that would be right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that is what you suppose to do

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.