Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why do people think this about veganism? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niv1234)
    Maybe but I put milk into pretty much everything I eat. I don't eat eggs or meat though.
    have you tried other types of milks?

ReputationRep:
    Veganism isn't expensive
    And i admire people who can actually eat really really clean despite the fact processed food is EVERYWHERE u go--i wouldnt be able to do it lol

ReputationRep:
    It is difficult
    From what little I know of the industries they are pretty horrible, but to be honest I don't have the motivation to put in the effort to go vegetarian or vegan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    humans are omnivores

veganism is not the great altruistic gesuture it;s made out to me

veganism shows many signs of being a cult

veganism is closely associated with terrorism
    well it must be true if you say so.......

na srs animals get legally ****ed over horrendously in industry
    because its legal theres no peaceful way to end the suffering
    thats why terrorist groups take matters into their own hands
    frankly its the only way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davgen7)
    well it must be true if you say so.......

na srs animals get legally ****ed over horrendously in industry
    because its legal theres no peaceful way to end the suffering
    thats why terrorist groups take matters into their own hands
    frankly its the only way
    are you admitting to supporting Animal Rights Terrorists ?

ReputationRep:
    Veganism is illogical, far less healthy and unethical.

Unethical:
    Stunning an animal and then giving it an instant death is far more moral than allowing that same animal to be eaten alive by carnivores. In the latter it can sometimes take the animal quite a while to die and during that time it's in total agony. If I was a cow or sheep or something I know which one I'd choose.

Less healthy:
    Animal proteins are comprised of a pretty even mix of all the amino acids that we need to stay healthy. Plant proteins on the other hand, lack quite a few of them. Methionine and lycine are two examples. In the few plants which do contain proteins which are hydrolised to these amino acids, the amounts in them are so small that there's just no comparison with animal protein. Then there's case of other minerals and vitamins such as iron, zinc and docosahexaenoic acid. Iron is best absorbed by the body when it's in heme complexes, which aren't produced at all by plants. Zinc is also best absorbed by the body when from animal protein sources and it's mainly found in meat, not plants. Docosahexaenoic acid is vital for proper brain function, but you can't get this from plant sources. Because of this, not eating meat can have serious negative effects on your overall health. Meat is an essential part of our diet.

Illogical:
    Why would anyone deliberately deprive themselves of things like docosahexaenoic acid? It makes absolutely no sense! It's almost as if they want a low IQ.

ReputationRep:
    "admitting"
    no, i do not support terrorists of any kind (which is different to just not admitting it). however it is hard to argue that they are very effective at fighting for their personal cause

if the choice is terrorism - or mass suffering and genocide of innocent defenceless animals - then i would say, regretfully, that terrorism is the lesser of two evils

its still bad, i know, and still agree that it shouldnt happen
    but neither should animal torture

so its a bit sticky because i dont support them but i hate the alterative outcome even more

i hope you will see my point before concluding that im a nutter who wants an excuse to blow people up or some ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)

Unethical:
    Stunning an animal and then giving it an instant death is far more moral than allowing that same animal to be eaten alive by carnivores. In the latter it can sometimes take the animal quite a while to die and during that time it's in total agony. If I was a cow or sheep or something I know which one I'd choose.
    i agree fully with this. the issue is more surrounding how the animal is treated while it is still alive, there are frequently cases of animals being abused, trapped, raped and tortured, and in industry it is virtually all perfectly legal. so i agree fully that if the animals could live perfectly good lives, and then die peacefully and quickly, there would be no problem whatsoever. however, in practice, this is not what happens. if it were, i wouldnt feel the need to be pescetarian any more, because the animals arent suffering. what you are saying is perfectly reasonable (from some of your other posts ive had the pleasure of viewing you seem a very thoughtful person) and i respect your opinion and viewpoint, and agree with it, but it is important to note that unless its a free-range product (and even some free-range products arent exactly ideal) the animal has almost certainly lived an atrocious life. hence people become pescetarian, vegetarian or vegan to not support the industry that does these things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)

Unethical:

Less healthy:
    Animal proteins are comprised of a pretty even mix of all the amino acids that we need to stay healthy. Plant proteins on the other hand, lack quite a few of them. Methionine and lycine are two examples. In the few plants which do contain proteins which are hydrolised to these amino acids, the amounts in them are so small that there's just no comparison with animal protein. Then there's case of other minerals and vitamins such as iron, zinc and docosahexaenoic acid. Iron is best absorbed by the body when it's in heme complexes, which aren't produced at all by plants. Zinc is also best absorbed by the body when from animal protein sources and it's mainly found in meat, not plants. Docosahexaenoic acid is vital for proper brain function, but you can't get this from plant sources. Because of this, not eating meat can have serious negative effects on your overall health. Meat is an essential part of our diet.

Illogical:
    Why would anyone deliberately deprive themselves of things like docosahexaenoic acid? It makes absolutely no sense! It's almost as if they want a low IQ.
    That same animal wouldn't be bred to be eaten by a carnivore as the land would be used to grow crops, so don't be so absurd.

You can get a complete protein of all the amino acids with beans and rice.

Spinach, beans, nuts are full of zinc and iron.

Your body converts Omega 3 to DHA well as long as the 3:6 ratio is good I.e algae, seaweed

Meat is not needed in our diet

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it terrible when people free a few minks' that are waiting to be turned into a scarf. What terrible people..:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MotorboatMyGoat)
    Isn't it terrible when people free a few minks' that are waiting to be turned into a scarf. What terrible people..:
    And then said minks proceed to decimate native wildlife like water voles and many species of water birds...

There was a particularly stupid incident once where animal rights people let a load of mink out from a fur farm close to a nature reserve with rare and internationally important wetland birds in it. Somewhere in northern Ireland I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    why?
    They're missing out on a lot of the best tasting things a tongue can experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
    Having tried almond milk recently, I have to concede that veganism totally defeats me. I'll stick with vegetarianism thanks. I try to buy organic, rather than battery farm and free range eggs. I suffer enough.
    Same! and putting coconut milk in coffee is pretty much impossible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Vegan.. were you joking?

I can understand vegetarians, but vegans are just weirdos tbh.
    watch Earthing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    And then said minks proceed to decimate native wildlife like water voles and many species of water birds...

There was a particularly stupid incident once where animal rights people let a load of mink out from a fur farm close to a nature reserve with rare and internationally important wetland birds in it. Somewhere in northern Ireland I believe.
    I didn't say I agreed with them, but if that is what it takes for these factory farms to shut down then so be it.

If you actually cared about the environment and species so much, why don't you talk about the meat industry being the:
    Largest contributor to rainforest deforestation.
    Largest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.
    Largest contributor to species extinction.
    Hundreds of billions of animals are killed every year.

ReputationRep:
    Vegans are blatant narcissists

ReputationRep:
    have you tried other types of milks?
    I don't think I have

theres literally an alternative to every dairy product though haha
    They're way too expensive, these alternatives. Most people can't afford to go vegan.

I wouldn't mind trying to be vegetarian though, seems good for health

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    They're way too expensive, these alternatives. Most people can't afford to go vegan.

I wouldn't mind trying to be vegetarian though, seems good for health
    Nearly every supermarket sells a litre of alpro for a £1..

(Original post by MotorboatMyGoat)
    Nearly every supermarket sells a litre of alpro for a £1..
    Compared to 6 pints cow milk for £1.50? Every penny counts

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.