Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steelmeat)
    Yay! *highfive

but why?
    Only hippies and liberals like drugs. The normal working class like beer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John55)
    People scare monger about drugs but they aren't as bad many legal drugs, for example smoking and alcohol kill much more people than heroin so heroin isn't actually that bad...
    If as many people used heroin as currently smoke and drink, it'd be a different picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob's Your Uncle)
    Only hippies and liberals like drugs. The normal working class like beer.
    Then let them take it till they are no more.
    I'm cold hearted like that

ReputationRep:
    me 2 i agree, let natural selection do it's work
    (Original post by Asuna Yuuki)
    we need more people thinking like this :five:
    That's a terrible idea. We have a healthcare system and a justice system and a society in general because we don't want natural selection to do its work. All three of us could well be dead by now if natural selection had its way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John55)
    People scare monger about drugs but they aren't as bad many legal drugs, for example smoking and alcohol kill much more people than heroin so heroin isn't actually that bad...
    Isn't that just because less people have access to heroine?

ReputationRep:
    Then let them take it till they are no more.
    I'm cold hearted like that
    Drugs would cost the NHS a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    That's a terrible idea. We have a healthcare system and a justice system and a society in general because we don't want natural selection to do its work. Both of us would probably be dead by now if natural selection had its way.
    I'm not saying to stop healthcare altogether.

I'm just suggesting that if people want to damage their own health through things like smoking and drug use, we should let them. Their loss.

ReputationRep:
    No, they should remain illegal apart from Marijauna for medicinal purposes only.

ReputationRep:
    me 2 i agree, let natural selection do it's work

So you want someone to pull you out of the **** you put yourself in?
    seems legit
    im thoroughly out of said **** tyvm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    That's a terrible idea. We have a healthcare system and a justice system and a society in general because we don't want natural selection to do its work. All three of us could well be dead by now if natural selection had its way.
    It's not justice the harm they do to their body, so do we let them slowly kill themselves or do we help and save them, whatever the case people will still get drugs, be it legally or illegally.
    Like Dawkins has said(from some video or other) that Natural selection is brilliant on paper but terrible in practise.
    However for certain cases like these where the person chooses to harm them self(via drugs or whatever) i'm willing to let them die. We can give them education and tell them all about the dangers of drugs etc and all that but ultimately it's their choice whether they decide to take it or not.
    Drugs would cost the NHS a lot of money.
    Wouldn't the country generate more money from selling drugs?
    But then again it depends if the NHS wants to save the people from overdoses and stuff.
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    im thoroughly out of said **** tyvm
    ah well that's good to hear

ReputationRep:
    In this sort of a society the legalisation of drugs would only mean more stress on the nhs (unintentional rhyme lol) and higher rates of unemployment. With a benefits system, this is a very difficult issue, because the hard working people then have to pay for these druggies who can't hold down a job and keep having kids. Also them taking drugs could also have adverse effects on others. We'd probably see an increase in violence and car accidents etc.

And for the imbecile that stated that alcohol has a more dangerous effect than heroine... That's simply because alcohol can easily be bought in a local off license... Heroine, not so much.

ReputationRep:
    It's not justice the harm they do to their body, so do we let them slowly kill themselves or do we help and save them, whatever the case people will still get drugs, be it legally or illegally.
    Like Dawkins has said(from some video or other) that Natural selection is brilliant on paper but terrible in practise.
    However for certain cases like these where the person chooses to harm them self(via drugs or whatever) i'm willing to let them die. We can give them education and tell them all about the dangers of drugs etc and all that but ultimately it's their choice whether they decide to take it or not.

Wouldn't the country generate more money from selling drugs?
    But then again it depends if the NHS wants to save the people from overdoses and stuff.

ah well that's good to hear
    People get addicted to drugs

ReputationRep:
    People get addicted to drugs
    Depends how they got addicted

ReputationRep:
    Decriminalise, Portugal did it well.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The NHS would not have to waste more money from treating drug users if drugs were legalized. In fact, the opposite. Countries with legalized drugs show that when said drugs are legalized, usage does not go up overall, instead it goes down dramatically in under 18s as they can no longer buy the drugs from their mate, instead the sale is regulated through government-approved shops, which require proof of age. Obviously cannabis is the only decent example we have so far, but from pretty much everything I've read the same will be true if/when other drugs are legalized.

When you legalize cannabis it becomes less taboo, thus the populace is more likely to be educated on the subject, thus users are less likely to do stupid things resulting in them needing medical attention. Most recreational drugs are quite safe when used sensibly, and the way to get people to use them sensibly is not to ban them outright and have the government pretend that drug users are the scum of society. All the evidence shows that when you outlaw a drug, people don't stop using it, they just move from buying it from a reputable and reliable shop that is not going to cut the drug with anything, to a dodgy black market dealer who has every chance of cutting the drug with something far more dangerous.

It's ridiculous that people still spout this rhetoric that outlawing drugs is a solution to the problem. The fact that we still have the problem of drug use in the first place shows this to be completely untrue. The solution is to educate people on the subject using scientific evidence, not knee-jerk reactions of "my mate had a breakdown on weed it's clearly worse than alcohol". Legalization, whilst not completely solving the issue, reduces it to be a tiny fraction of what it is now, as shown by countries like the Netherlands that have done so already to great results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
    The NHS would not have to waste more money from treating drug users if drugs were legalized. In fact, the opposite. Countries with legalized drugs show that when said drugs are legalized, usage does not go up overall, instead it goes down dramatically in under 18s as they can no longer buy the drugs from their mate, instead the sale is regulated through government-approved shops, which require proof of age. Obviously cannabis is the only decent example we have so far, but from pretty much everything I've read the same will be true if/when other drugs are legalized.

When you legalize cannabis it becomes less taboo, thus the populace is more likely to be educated on the subject, thus users are less likely to do stupid things resulting in them needing medical attention. Most recreational drugs are quite safe when used sensibly, and the way to get people to use them sensibly is not to ban them outright and have the government pretend that drug users are the scum of society. All the evidence shows that when you outlaw a drug, people don't stop using it, they just move from buying it from a reputable and reliable shop that is not going to cut the drug with anything, to a dodgy black market dealer who has every chance of cutting the drug with something far more dangerous.

It's ridiculous that people still spout this rhetoric that outlawing drugs is a solution to the problem. The fact that we still have the problem of drug use in the first place shows this to be completely untrue. The solution is to educate people on the subject using scientific evidence, not knee-jerk reactions of "my mate had a breakdown on weed it's clearly worse than alcohol". Legalization, whilst not completely solving the issue, reduces it to be a tiny fraction of what it is now, as shown by countries like the Netherlands that have done so already to great results.
    So is alcohol but my friends have been buying alcohol since like 14. So I guess your first point is slightly flawed.

ReputationRep:
    Legalised, no.

Decriminalised, yes; the sooner the better!

ReputationRep:
    If drugs were made legal, wouldn't more people think its ok to take them, who wouldn't have before?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by #JOSH45#)
    So is alcohol but my friends have been buying alcohol since like 14. So I guess your first point is slightly flawed.
    Alcohol is easy to buy underage because it's been so embedded into our culture for thousands of years that it's sold almost everywhere - and the place you get alcohol from underage is generally a dodgy corner-shop that doesn't care about ID.

A proper legalization law would only allow things like cannabis to be sold from reputable shops that have to pass regulation requirements, and so it's incredibly unlikely to be anywhere near as easy to buy as alcohol is when you're underage.

And besides, given that none of us lived through prohibition, we don't exactly have a lot to compare alcohol being legalized too, since it has always been legal in our lifetimes. If it was illegal in the way that cannabis is, the same thing would happen that happened in prohibition - it would be overall a lot more dangerous, because there is no regulation and the business is run by black market criminals rather than regular shop owners, and it would only really be possible to buy spirits since smuggling something with a low alcohol content like beer wouldn't be worth the hassle.

The situation with underage drinking obviously isn't great, but it would be far worse if alcohol was made illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)

can you quote the source that claims the same will be true if other drugs are legalized? What other drugs, specifically?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.