Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    yeah right, that is why they have kept Turkey out all these years - its certainly no worse, arguably a lot better than Bulgaria. This stuff is not worth the paper its written on. We all know why, the EU is racist.
    Turkey has been in accession talks since 1987. There are 35 heads of negotiations whereby someone wanting to join must convince the EU they accpet their standards and values. In nearly 30 years of talks they have agreed one head and only talked about 15 areas. They will not go to the next stage until they have satisfied all 35 areas. These include the occupation of Cyrpus, which wont be resolved any time soon. If you did some research then you might gain an understanding how it works instead of coming up with these crackpot ideas of yours.

Obviously Bulgaria managed to conclude negotiations in all areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Also just pointing out, Bulgaria is one of the largest producers of rose oil :yep:

Nazdraveh!
    • Rosa damascena, the damask rose, which is widely grown in Syria, Bulgaria, Turkey, Russia, Pakistan, India, Uzbekistan, Iran and China

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Yeah, that's stupid, I grant. I'm a Europhile, but I'll admit the EU needs massive reform
    I hate the elements of bureaucracy that hamper the EU, and I admit that it is unwise to simply assume that the UK can continue to support immigration without reaching a crisis point of inadequate resources. That being said, I still don't believe there would be any true benefits to leaving the EU; only drawbacks.

• Rosa damascena, the damask rose, which is widely grown in Syria, Bulgaria, Turkey, Russia, Pakistan, India, Uzbekistan, Iran and China
    Благодаря за информацията

Also just pointing out, Bulgaria is one of the largest producers of rose oil :yep:
    And Kazakhstan is the best producer of potassium

ReputationRep:
    Four words: buffer zone against Russia.

(Original post by Withengar)
    Four words: buffer zone against Russia.
    What are you even talking about? Bulgaria is no where near Russia. If this were about Belarus or Ukraine I would understand but Bulgaria?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Turkey has been in accession talks since 1987. There are 35 heads of negotiations whereby someone wanting to join must convince the EU they accpet their standards and values. In nearly 30 years of talks they have agreed one head and only talked about 15 areas. They will not go to the next stage until they have satisfied all 35 areas. These include the occupation of Cyrpus, whih wont be resolved any time soon. If you did some research then you might gain an understanding how it works instead of coming up with these crackpot ideas of yours.
    yeah right, that is why they have kept Turkey out all these years - its certainly no worse, arguably a lot better than Bulgaria. This stuff is not worth the paper its written on. We all know why, the EU is racist.
    There are numerous issues around Turkey's ascension. You yourself are complaining that Bulgaria is "not ready" for the EU, and yet Turkey, with several elements of policy such as Article 301 and women's rights (to name but two examples) do not meet the criteria of the EU definitively. Should they meet the criteria wholly, they will undoubtedly be accepted. Key ministers all see the opportunity for Turkey, but frown upon instances like government restrictions on Freedom of Speech.

ReputationRep:
    What are you even talking about? Bulgaria is no where near Russia. If this were about Belarus or Ukraine I would understand but Bulgaria?
    Quite simple really. Look at the map. It's advantageous to create a "buffer" zone between Russia and any European territory. The Baltic states cover Russia proper, and parts of Belarus, Poland covers both Belarus and the Ukraine, Romania buffers Moldova and the Ukraine, both within Russia's sphere of influence, but Bulgaria is there to cover a part of the Black Sea adjacent to the Bosphorus strait.

Quite simple really. Look at the map. It's advantageous to create a "buffer" zone between Russia and any European territory. The Baltic states cover Russia proper, and parts of Belarus, Poland covers both Belarus and the Ukraine, Romania buffers Moldova and the Ukraine, both within Russia's sphere of influence, but Bulgaria is there to cover a part of the Black Sea adjacent to the Bosphorus strait.
    Well what about Turkey? and anyway Bulgaria isn't some pro Russia Soviet backwards country. And actually I don't understand why everyone is so harsh toward Russia itself.

And why does Russia even need a Buffer zone, what are they gonna do? This whole thread is nonsense. Bulgaria are and always will be in the EU, so will the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redwhiteandbrit)
    There are numerous issues around Turkey's ascension. You yourself are complaining that Bulgaria is "not ready" .
    Nope. I'm not saying its "not ready" - I'm saying the club is just for white european nations, Why can't Jamaica or Tunisa join?

ReputationRep:
    Well what about Turkey? and anyway Bulgaria isn't some pro Russia Soviet backwards country. And actually I don't understand why everyone is so harsh toward Russia itself.

And why does Russia even need a Buffer zone, what are they gonna do? This whole thread is nonsense. Bulgaria are and always will be in the EU, so will the UK.
    I'm not saying that Bulgaria is some backwards country. I'm saying it's advantageous to have countries close to Russian zones of influence within the EU, even if they have a lower standard then most of the EU. Nothing against Bulgaria.

What's bad about Russia? Homophobia, threats of violence, rampant extremist violence and corruption, annexation of Crimea, etc. etc. I could go on, but you get the point. EU is, essentially, a very good union and Bulgaria being in it is only beneficial.

I'm not saying that Bulgaria is some backwards country. I'm saying it's advantageous to have countries close to Russian zones of influence within the EU, even if they have a lower standard then most of the EU. Nothing against Bulgaria.

What's bad about Russia? Homophobia, threats of violence, rampant extremist violence and corruption, annexation of Crimea, etc. etc. I could go on, but you get the point. EU is, essentially, a very good union and Bulgaria being in it is only beneficial.
    Oh Carry on then. I'm just so used to people like OP saying negative things about Bulgaria.

Nope. I'm not saying its "not ready" - I'm saying the club is just for white european nations, Why can't Jamaica or Tunisa join?
    because they're not even geographically in Europe
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Maybe because they arent in Europe and arent adjacent to it.

These general objectives are supplemented by a list of more detailed objectives:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Maybe because they arent in Europe and arent adjacent to it.

These general objectives are supplemented by a list of more detailed objectives:
    Crap, Hawaii is half way round the world from the USA.
    This is 2016, distance means nothing.
    Its all white euro crap

The UK should get out of all this bullshiit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    These nations drag the EU down they don't help it.
    Whole of the Balkans should just be jettisoned from Europe if you ask me. They add nothing to the EU. Just a drain on resources.

ReputationRep:
    Its all white euro crap

Hawaii is a part of the federalised system that is the United States... It's a completely different concept to be part of a country than it is to be part of a customs union...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its all white euro crap

I know its challenging for you, but the USA isnt the EU. Get a map.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nidhoggr)
    Whole of the Balkans should just be jettisoned from Europe if you ask me. They add nothing to the EU. Just a drain on resources.
    The majority of the Balkan States aren't in the EU

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.