Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B984 – Vaccinations in Children Bill 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Because I can't stand vaccinations... As a child I used to resist every attempt to get vaccinated because I have a deadly fear of needles...

I'm not voting.
    Which is why most vaccinations are given under the age of 5 and the only thing you need otherwise are boosters.

ReputationRep:
    Given the concerns re MMR, would the bill's author accept that single vaccinations be offered if compulsory? And how is this applied for those who move to the Uk, such as the children of the armed forces or diplomats?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, my libertarian streak shows itself again. Nay, leave it up to the parents. Compulsory vaccinations don't sit easy with me, whilst I in no way think the government is cutting vaccines with mind altering/numbing substances, I do think there is the potential for it to happen if we were to end up with a madman running our country or something, so the choice should always remain imo. I highly doubt the anti-vaccine 'community' is large enough in the UK to be putting any significant strain on the NHS.

I'd prefer a system where all the recommended vaccinations are administered in schools with the parents informed and given the option to opt out (I know some already are, but I presume not all of them because I only had like three vaccinations in all my many years at school).

I won't support this regardless but I don't think there should be prison sentences whatsoever, fines are definitely more appropriate. Also what Eric said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    In it's current form nay.

An exception needs to be made where medication can interfere. For someone who is on immunosuppressants it would cause far more harm to themsleves and those arround them - that is both economically and relating to health.
    Yes, this would be vital.
    With a family member having been on them previously for the long term; vaccinations like this wouldn't have worked, and would have had serious medical consequences, even death

But other than that, an aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay

The bill is poorly written and formatted

It missing several vital conditionalities, as stated.

I'm not against this as long as the conditionalities are altered and fines lowered.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Surely if the NHS would gave to cover even more vaccinations under this bill so what would it cost them to do this?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Surely if the NHS would gave to cover even more vaccinations under this bill so what would it cost them to do this?
    In English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Yes, this would be vital.
    With a family member having been on them previously for the long term; vaccinations like this wouldn't have worked, and would have had serious medical consequences, even death

But other than that, an aye
    Exactly. I'm on them now and I'm not in the mood to get measles, mumps or rubella.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I'm in two minds about this. Currently a Nay due to the points Eric and others have raised, but it might only be an abstain with those changes
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye - a sensible Bill.

Although herd vaccination does apply to the UK at present, future refusals could lead to increased risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Ah, my libertarian streak shows itself again. Nay, leave it up to the parents. Compulsory vaccinations don't sit easy with me, whilst I in no way think the government is cutting vaccines with mind altering/numbing substances, I do think there is the potential for it to happen if we were to end up with a madman running our country or something, so the choice should always remain imo. I highly doubt the anti-vaccine 'community' is large enough in the UK to be putting any significant strain on the NHS.

I'd prefer a system where all the recommended vaccinations are administered in schools with the parents informed and given the option to opt out (I know some already are, but I presume not all of them because I only had like three vaccinations in all my many years at school).

I won't support this regardless but I don't think there should be prison sentences whatsoever, fines are definitely more appropriate. Also what Eric said.
    Its actually rising year by year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Given the concerns re MMR, would the bill's author accept that single vaccinations be offered if compulsory? And how is this applied for those who move to the Uk, such as the children of the armed forces or diplomats?
    There are no concerns surrounding MMR, and the individual M, M, R vaccinations were actually a scam. Really there's no difference between all at once or separate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Not quite sure about the size of the fines to be honest, and before I would Aye this, an exceptions section for when a doctor advises against the child having the vaccine would be absolutely necessary.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who wasn't vaccinated until I was 15 because of fears about autism (turns out I have it anyway...how funny:rolleyes:), absolutely aye. It's incredibly stupid in terms of children's health and of that of society as a whole that parents are allowed not to have their child vaccinated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    The 'concerns re MMR' are hogwash.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is a great bill. Jolly good job, Nigel.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill has gone to a second reading.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.