Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Teachers don't have to have a GCSE in the subject they teach. My RE teacher had a languages degree but taught us RE. She joked about sitting the exam to see how she'd do, but it was just a joke.

(Inb4 you don't need a GCSE to teach RE)

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter that she's teaching your subject without having a GCSE in it. She might have studied at a degree level.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she did O levels back in the day.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think its fine and a good thing. She could have done it at a higher level or as said in #23 done it at O level.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    What the hell is my teacher thinking???

I would laugh if she failed.

Just seems something creepy about having your teacher take the GCSE with you in the same room of silence.

So anyone else heard of this before?

My teacher teaches a subject without having the GCSE for it, that seems strange as well.
    Have you decided how you will try and lose marks in the next exam yet? More swearing at the examiner or sticking to drawing a giant phallus on your exam paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs.Grey)
    You're teacher sounds fun
    *your

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are piss easy for adults, as are SATs or the Entrance Exams for us.

ReputationRep:
    I know a few teachers do this at A Level so it doesn't seem that weird tbh.

ReputationRep:
    She probably already has the GCSE in the subject lol why wouldn't she?

She's probably just testing herself.

ReputationRep:

Just seems something creepy about having your teacher take the GCSE with you in the same room of silence.

My teacher teaches a subject without having the GCSE for it, that seems strange as well.

I think that is a great idea. I dont think it is creepy at all.

Some teachers at my school do this too so they can experience the paper.

And her not having the GCSE wont matter at all. GCSEs are new so she may have taken the O-level or A-level many years ago. Actually, she may not even have done that. Some degrees only require related A-levels (You can do an English language degree with phsycology at some places) However, it is highly likely she would have done a degree in the subject as most schools only take teachers with degrees in the subject they are teaching or similar (e.g. biology and PE)

She wont fail either. Bear in mind that she has taught and marked similar papers hundreds of times and she will have knowledge way above the very basics required for GCSE (and GCSEs are basic - not saying they are easy [they're not] but they are nowhere near the detail of A-level and degree). She's doing the GCSE for future pupils not so she can get it for herself.

ReputationRep:

Ha ha if one of my teachers did this I would either feel really uncomfortable or just start laughing! What subject is it? How do they teach the subject without a GCSE in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Ha ha if one of my teachers did this I would either feel really uncomfortable or just start laughing! What subject is it? How do they teach the subject without a GCSE in it?
    Food Technology (She's textile's teacher)

ReputationRep:
    Food Technology (She's textile's teacher)
    Well at least food is quite easy!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.