Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sfhkh)
    I know people who spoke no English in Year 7 who now speak English perfectly and are achieving C's - A*. Don't give up.
    I wan't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sfhkh)
    I think it's fine but the school I applied to want's me to achieve B's and above in the topics I want to study for A Levels.
    Yeah same my sixth form needs me to get B's in my chosen subjects what have chosen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    If someone wants to go to top top uni, maybe Oxbridge, they need to get really good GCSE's, so a C to these people won't cut it.
    That is a valid point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Советский Гай)
    I didn't get higher than an F in mocks and I need C's
    I would say make flashcards, read revision guides/notes and this would help you to retain the information or even the internet is very good you literally can find anything on youtube to help you or something like Tes which has a wealth of resources. I was disappointed after 1A*, 1A, 5B and 3C's in my mocks but I am quite confident that I have managed to ace my GCSE exams till now with the help of the internet. For Maths Hegartymaths is fantastic, For English MrBruff is a lifesaver and for Science mygcsescience is a godsend all fantastic youtube teachers .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevez2ez)
    It's because everyone has different standards to how well they think they have done.

And that is different for each school as well. My school only allowed 8 As or A* students to enter sixth form with the exception of few people who had 1-2 less As in their GCSE.
    This is true.. but wow your sixth form must be good the requirements are so high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    I would say make flashcards, read revision guides/notes and this would help you to retain the information or even the internet is very good you literally can find anything on youtube to help you or something like Tes which has a wealth of resources. I was disappointed after 1A*, 1A, 5B and 3C's in my mocks but I am quite confident that I have managed to ace my GCSE exams till now with the help of the internet. For Maths Hegartymaths is fantastic, For English MrBruff is a lifesaver and for Science mygcsescience is a godsend all fantastic youtube teachers .
    These sound good. I shall check them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123moon)
    That is a valid point
    not really,
    if you get good in a levels you'll still get into a uni like oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs Aren't too hard its more about Stress management. Made to Prepare you for more years of stress after GCSEs. sad really, I wanna stay an innocent teen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrpaper)
    not really,
    if you get good in a levels you'll still get into a uni like oxbridge
    I suppose but the odds are against you if your gcses are slightly lower than the average candidates applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMF1)
    GCSEs Aren't too hard its more about Stress management. Made to Prepare you for more years of stress after GCSEs. sad really, I wanna stay an innocent teen.
    This is true also i feel as though that there are too many subjects at one time and can be hard to focus equally on all of them (time management)

ReputationRep:
    I feel like GCSE's doesn't really test someone's capabilities except for English and Maths. It's mostly testing a person's memory.

ReputationRep:
    Gcses are easy, trust me. I revised the day before, or not at all, and ended up with 2 A*, 4 A, 6B. I was worried, but it turned out okay lol.

A levels on the other hand... I started revising in Decemeber everyday and am barely confident of AABC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calzs34)
    Gcses are easy, trust me. I revised the day before, or not at all, and ended up with 2 A*, 4 A, 6B. I was worried, but it turned out okay lol.

A levels on the other hand... I started revising in Decemeber everyday and am barely confident of AABC.
    It's different for different people the language barrier doesn't help either.

ReputationRep:
    Fam wait til you get to A levels and then uni.
    GCSEs were a fricking breeze

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123moon)
    This is true.. but wow your sixth form must be good the requirements are so high
    Nope, it is not as good as you think.

They allow a lot of people whom they interview as well. Entry is not completely dependent on grades. I know of a girl who got Cs and Ds but she's still in the school. She is taking three subjects which are Drama, Psychology and English. She said the school told her that she is not eligible for sciences, she had no intent to take them anyway lol.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Советский Гай)
    I wan't.
    You learn stuff by revising and putting time to practice it. Spend some time a day practicing it and it will come to you in some weeks or months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    You learn stuff by revising and putting time to practice it. Spend some time a day practicing it and it will come to you in some weeks or months.
    I hope so.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 doing my alevels and looking back at my gcses, its justa piece of cake. It is definitely hard at first but the thing is, at gcse its mostly about memory rather than understanding the topic. At alevel its all about understanding.

so try learning key definitions in science or just the same steps and calculations in maths

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.