Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Xenon_)
    Hi I'm doing chemistry, maths and physics next year too!

I've been looking at A level past papers to see what it is like...
    This is AQA C1 which is apparently the easiest unit.
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...P-QP-JUN15.PDF

This is further maths
    I sat both those exact papers last year

ReputationRep:
    No problem do you think it looks hard or not bad
    The c1 looks surprisingly easy, half of it just looks like difficult gcse questions
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Naruke)
    For the OP, was it difficult?

Was the workload hard to manage?

Did it impact on your sex life?

I think those are the main questions the OP would like to know
    1. Nah, there's enough YouTube videos, examsolutions videos, websites, etc etc with content you can learn from. I honestly don't think any other subject is as easy to learn (access wise) as maths is. Of course, understanding the maths takes more effort and requires you to think a bit higher level than you otherwise would but because the education system has been around so long, it's easy enough to get your hands on LOTS of past papers. STEP, IYGB, Solomon, all exam boards domestic and international, special papers, papers from older a level eras etc, they are all out there. Lots of textbooks available with their own share of questions - honestly, I don't think lack of resources is an issue at all.

2. Workload is chill af. Mind you, I already knew most of the stuff from advanced higher (see my profile) so much of it was recapping a couple hours a day + doing textbook Qs and past papers. But even for someone starting from scratch, sticking in 6-10 hrs a day of intermittent studying (for those still going to school, 3-4 hours after school and same 10-12 hours on the weekend) is more than enough. By intermittent, I mean take breaks, very liberal breaks - that way you don't feel guilty. Also plan out how you'll tackle each subject. Setting goals for how much to cover at the end of the week, way more important than raw studying hours. It's surprising how much more free you feel without the stupid shackles of homework and BS schoolwork that teachers set to justify their jobs.

3. Ngl, yeah being a hermit impacted my already non existent sex life.. Obviously, I'll have plenty of time at uni to make up for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Core maths modules are similar to GCSE at first and the learning curve isn't too steep but the new topics like mechanics are a big step up, mainly because it seems so alien at first. You will get used to it though- I was really shocked at first by the difficulty but now it has become more normal.

I am currently doing seven modules this year, so that is like doing A-Level maths and a bit of further maths, although I don't actually complete A-Levels in either this year because I'm not doing C4 this year. I'm in Year 12 btw.

(Original post by Qcomber)
    I sat both those exact papers last year
    Lol how was it! Hard or easy?

(Original post by NyallJ)
    The c1 looks surprisingly easy, half of it just looks like difficult gcse questions
    I agree especially Q1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    1. Nah, there's enough YouTube videos, examsolutions videos, websites, etc etc with content you can learn from. I honestly don't think any other subject is as easy to learn (access wise) as maths is. Of course, understanding the maths takes more effort and requires you to think a bit higher level than you otherwise would but because the education system has been around so long, it's easy enough to get your hands on LOTS of past papers. STEP, IYGB, Solomon, all exam boards domestic and international, special papers, papers from older a level eras etc, they are all out there. Lots of textbooks available with their own share of questions - honestly, I don't think lack of resources is an issue at all.

2. Workload is chill af. Mind you, I already knew most of the stuff from advanced higher (see my profile) so much of it was recapping a couple hours a day + doing textbook Qs and past papers. But even for someone starting from scratch, sticking in 6-10 hrs a day of intermittent studying (for those still going to school, 3-4 hours after school and same 10-12 hours on the weekend) is more than enough. By intermittent, I mean take breaks, very liberal breaks - that way you don't feel guilty. Also plan out how you'll tackle each subject. Setting goals for how much to cover at the end of the week, way more important than raw studying hours. It's surprising how much more free you feel without the stupid shackles of homework and BS schoolwork that teachers set to justify their jobs.

3. Ngl, yeah being a hermit impacted my already non existent sex life.. Obviously, I'll have plenty of time at uni to make up for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So there you have it folks! How to complete A levels in Maths and Further Maths in 1 year. Prince, I wish you luck in your remaining exams and don't underestimate time, it won't last long if you can't last long

ReputationRep:

That's a lot of time doing Maths

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    The Core maths modules are similar to GCSE at first and the learning curve isn't too steep but the new topics like mechanics are a big step up, mainly because it seems so alien at first. You will get used to it though- I was really shocked at first by the difficulty but now it has become more normal.

I am currently doing seven modules this year, so that is like doing A-Level maths and a bit of further maths, although I don't actually complete A-Levels in either this year because I'm not doing C4 this year. I'm in Year 12 btw.
    Why 7? Why not 6?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyallJ)
    I am currently in Year 11 taking my GCSE exams, and want to take A level Maths and Further Maths as some of my options when I go to college next year, in an accelerated course doing the full A Level Maths in my first year and the full A level Further Maths in the second year. I am quite good at Maths and receive full marks on my maths GCSE mocks throughout the year, is the workload bearable to complete the courses in one year each, also is the step up large from GCSE to A level maths, and the step up between Maths and Further Maths at A level difficult as well?
    I'm doing all 4 of those at AS, the workload is not too bad if you keep up to date with Maths and F Maths, I spend a lot less time on Chem and Physics than Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolatmaths)
    Why 7? Why not 6?
    at my school we do seven because our teachers told us that A2 topics next year will be a bit harder so we'd need more time to revise, so doing seven easier topics in one year and five harder topics next year will balance the workload more evenly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    at my school we do seven because our teachers told us that A2 topics next year will be a bit harder so we'd need more time to revise, so doing seven easier topics in one year and five harder topics next year will balance the workload more evenly.
    aha right thats quite a clever idea lol

ReputationRep:
    That seems like a good idea if you are doing an both the A-levels over 2 years. Maths is probably the only subject I don't care about the fact it will probably become my life at some point XD (when I'm doing all further in year 13 probably...).

ReputationRep:
    Lol how was it! Hard or easy?
    As s further mathematician, the C1 was piss, but the fp1 was tough.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing GCSEs atm,
    yep, you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm doing chemistry, maths and physics next year too!

I've been looking at A level past papers to see what it is like...
    This is AQA C1 which is apparently the easiest unit.

This is further maths
    Can't really compare non-calc to a calc-based paper though. There will be an even bigger difference.

I do agree, however, that Further Maths is tougher. Personally I would do both M and FM if I went to do A-levels (chose IB though), as normal A-level Maths is quite easy after doing Additional Maths at IGCSE.

OP, do what feel "right" to you. If you have doubt about it being too much already, then it might be a sign that the combination of two sciences and two maths will be indeed too hard to handle.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    there's no difference
    its basically the same difference as a horse penis to mine
    absolutely no difference at all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.