Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is there such a low percentage of educated people in certain areas of the U.K.? Watch

(Original post by themachinest0ps)
    However, the college I attend right now has incredibly low expectations. Generally the goal is to get a C, and they will tell you that., It's not about improving your knowledge and climbing the intellectual ladder, it's about doing X, Y, and Z and using these buzzwords will get you a passing grade.
    100% this. I'm also from a low-performing area and we were basically left alone once we got a C. If we got a B, we were pretty much school newsletter-worthy

I think another big thing is environment. Because these areas tend not to have well paying jobs, it's very hard for people to realise what actually is out there to work towards. Intellectually, I knew there were people with comfortable lives, good jobs and nice houses, but I never saw them or knew anyone like that until I went to uni. It was only then that I actually saw what I could get from hard work - and realised how hard you had to work. Because of the culture of low expectations you mentioned, I thought I was doing as much I could, when it was actually far from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gatlema)
    100% this. I'm also from a low-performing area and we were basically left alone once we got a C. If we got a B, we were pretty much school newsletter-worthy

I think another big thing is environment. Because these areas tend not to have well paying jobs, it's very hard for people to realise what actually is out there to work towards. Intellectually, I knew there were people with comfortable lives, good jobs and nice houses, but I never saw them or knew anyone like that until I went to uni. It was only then that I actually saw what I could get from hard work - and realised how hard you had to work. Because of the culture of low expectations you mentioned, I thought I was doing as much I could, when it was actually far from it.
    Yes, I completely agree! We've even got posters around college saying that the higher your attendance levels, the closer you are to achieving your dream grades- C C C C! :afraid:

The highest paying jobs people see around here are senior management in schools and people who come over here from other countries to open their own shops in town. It's very hard to imagine yourself in a high paying job in medical or political fields, even if that's what you're aiming for. There's an incredible difference in being told that hard work can get you places and actually seeing the physical result of hard work!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    He's got 10 kids now?
    Really GET IN THERE I'm glad, he was an amazing rapper and still is I can understand why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    And which of these has higher standards of living than us?
    As for Japan - their economy is saddled with a ridiculous level of debt.
    whats your point medic?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Izxxx)
    Yeah they give you a contextual offer which is usually 1-2 grades lower than the average offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Still find it mystifying why you cant think of reasons why one area might have a less educated population than another. Historical, economic, social, practical, structural.

ReputationRep:
    Less jobs requiring higher qualifications there, so the people with said qualifications live elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defraction)
    Some people just don't value education. Look at places like Japan, South Korea and China, all of these countries value education as the main priority so that's why these countries do considerably better than us. It also depends on your parents, whether your parents value or disregard education. If your parents push you to do well at a younger age then you are more likely to do well. It also depends on your atmosphere, what youngsters' friends are like and how people are there generally in the area. So let's say, you leave in a ghetto area with thugs that speak 'great'(nonsense more like) English then you are less likely to do well. It also depends on your school, how the teachers are like, whether or not the school is doing good academically and so forth.

These factors are the main triggers of whether or not a person does well or not because it would either help the person to do well at school or do bad. Either way, it always depends on the person.
    What a load of ********.

You quite clearly just contradicted yourself also.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    What a load of ********.

You quite clearly just contradicted yourself also.
    How did I contradict myself? Please give me a full explanation of what contradiction means and how I did so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.